Forums Latest Members
  1. Marine Boy Apr 14, 2023

I swim 10,000m a week, and walk the dog 3 miles before work every day.

NGO1, Fallout Boy, McKnife and 3 others like this.
  2. MRC Apr 14, 2023

I've had some onerous commutes to work, but never that bad. No ferry available?

NGO1, Togri v. 2.0, McKnife and 4 others like this.
  3. Dsloan Apr 14, 2023

We just made a pitstop at the York Barbell Museum / Outlet to pick up more lifting doodads. :)

PXL_20230414_205747917.jpg

PXL_20230414_205809337.jpg

PXL_20230414_210151811.jpg

PXL_20230414_210026338.jpg

DaveK, Fallout Boy, BLOW UP and 6 others like this.
  4. SC1 Apr 14, 2023

5. Dsloan Apr 14, 2023

Hey, when you have an ego as big as Bob Hoffman's, a museum is essential. It was kind of fun though.

And, I finally picked up some 5lb technique plates so my 5 year-old can lift a little with me.

6. wagudc Apr 14, 2023

DaveK, Fallout Boy, Gaz6263 and 2 others like this.
  7. Dsloan May 23, 2023

I am getting dangerously close to being too old to hit lifetime PRs again, but dammit I just squated 400 for reps at almost 40 years old.

If I can just hold it together for another 3 years, I can start going after some 'masters' state records!

PXL_20230524_002711340.jpg

Anyone else actively competing in a sport of some sort?

Togri v. 2.0, McKnife, M'Bob and 4 others like this.
  8. SC1 May 23, 2023

Yes, marriage.

And I keep getting my ass kicked.

9. Dsloan May 23, 2023

I guess anything taken to extremes can be a competitive sport.

Togri v. 2.0 and SC1 like this.
  10. SC1 May 23, 2023

Nothing more sportingly competitive than living with someone for 25 years.

Dsloan likes this.
  11. asloper6001 May 23, 2023

Really just putting the work in week in and week out. Dieting being the most important. 3-4 days 1 hour 30 minutes at the gym, never skip cardio. Run 5kish outside every other Saturday. Tune up when need be. Seems like alot but in the big scheme of things its nothing compared to the cost of bad health down the road.

wagudc, McKnife, SC1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Pastorbottle May 23, 2023

I find regularly drinking copious amounts whiskey is beneficial to my health…….it exercises my liver and my drinking arm!
    And as it kills germs on contact, it disinfects me too…….bonus!
    ::stirthepot:::D

13. Aroxx Sets his watch May 24, 2023

I used to play a lot of disc golf tournaments. Just started playing some rated league rounds this year. Not as physical as many sports but does require some base level fitness, stamina, and flexibility if you want to be good. Especially elite level playing two rounds a day for days in a row in the heat. Golf is a mental game. It’s easy to psyche yourself out and fall apart. A lot of people scoff at the sport because of the hippy stoner stereotype, which isn’t unfounded, but the sport has really grown and gone next level. Touring pros are making a living now with winnings and sponsorships.

wagudc, McKnife, noelekal and 2 others like this.
  14. Dsloan May 24, 2023

That sounds fun! We have quite a few disk golf courses in our city. Like many things in life, I totally underestimated how hard it was and how complicated it gets - went to try it out with a friend who competes and he showed up with a whole backpack full of different frisbees that were good for different situations and throwing styles. Seems like a great way to get a lot of walking and fresh air.

wagudc, noelekal and Aroxx like this.
  15. Aroxx Sets his watch May 24, 2023

Yea right now it’s my escape to peace outdoors. Really enjoying just playing casual rounds and not even keeping score. It’s popular to put courses on ski mountains as a summer revenue stream. Hiking up and down a mountain all day chucking discs will make you tired! The only ski mountain course I ever played was a tournament in a damn tsunami and more than half the field quit the event and just went home. Two rounds in cold driving rain, soaked to the bone, throwing frisbees in heavy wind. Good times. I carry about 20 discs and yes all different types and they do different things. Even discs of the same mold and plastic change over time. I have somewhere around 200 discs from my tournament days. Lots of brand new stuff I’m thinking of selling some rare stuff to fund you know what…

__ryan__, noelekal and Dsloan like this.
  16. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 24, 2023

A lifetime of shooting sports for me, mostly High Power Rifle competition, some Precision Pistol (the old fashioned Bulls Eye Pistol), Small Bore Rifle in the distant past.

[​IMG]

Prone slow-fire during a match. Much younger I am in this photo because there's still some black hair evident. Ummmm... no shooting glasses! That's really a no-no. I probably discarded them because it was likely over 100F that afternoon and they were blurred by sweat.
    [​IMG]

I'm getting old though. At 66, position rifle shooting contortions don't come as easily and muscles complain more after a match. My good competition rifles and handguns have become out of style on the firing line and have become valued "collectors' items," but I'm still willing to take them out for exercise because I still consider them to be superior. Vintage guns, vintage watches - I'm all over it!

Can't manage Precision Pistol at present due to a trashed right shoulder which hasn't remained fixed after surgery. Going to a doctor in two weeks to see about fixing it again.

I manage two miles in 30 minutes walking about the neighborhood and call it my cardio-walking.

In late 2017 I was at a High Power Rifle match, a special retro match for U. S. World War II rifles, mostly for the M1 Garand. Since I still to this day use the M1 as my primary match rifle I relished entering the match. The match director called for "three minute prep time for prone rapid-fire" so I got down on the shooting mat and rooted around laying out reloads, adjusting the rifle's sling, and dry-firing a few times. During this time I suddenly felt a sharp pain as if another competitor had fixed a bayonet on his M1 and thrust it through the middle of my back. This pain would not subside at all and I was in a lot of discomfort. Despite this, I continued with the match, shot the remainder of it and even managed a forth place finish.

Struggled the two and a half hour drive home and related all to my wife who suggested we go to the emergency room late that Sunday evening. The examination indicated that I did not have a heart attack, that my heart was strong, but that I had "rust in the pipes" as the physician put it.

Next thing I knew I was going in for bypass surgery, having much blockage and requiring four bypasses.

I had walked two miles in 30 minutes for years, three to five times a week up until surgery. I'm still doing it, now accomplishing four to six times per week. The walking route includes Craig street nearby which has a long grade to help conditioning.

DaveK, pdxleaf, M'Bob and 3 others like this.
  17. chronolux Jun 4, 2023

Woman here.

I tried Yoga and it's boring to me. I always fall asleep during the sessions. Anyways, I use apps nowadays that focus on High Intensity Interval Training. I prefer this method because it's quick, easy and you can see results within 30-60 days.

I did CrossFit back in 2014-2016 when it was more popular. I enjoyed it but the old group I used to workout with all moved out of state and I never found a better alternative.

YYTIN, wagudc, Duracuir1 and 3 others like this.
  18. McKnife Jun 4, 2023

Been lifting weights for a while, actually almost 2/3 of my life!

I competed in strongman and powerlifting. Won a few comps, made a few records. Made a lot of friends. Will eventually return to competing but I've always been into it for the training.

4 to 7 days a week moving Iron will teach you things about yourself...

No better feeling in the world than the knurling on a barbell!

19. Dsloan Jun 4, 2023

If I may, I'd amend that to "the knurling on a vintage bare steel barbell."

I've got an old York split sleeve bar that I wouldn't mind being buried with. I've hit a lifetime of PRs on it.

texasmade and McKnife like this.
  20. McKnife Jun 4, 2023

You're right about bare steel! For me, the more aggressive the knurling, the happier I am! I used to train on an competition Eleiko bar that everytime you'd put your hands on at the beginning of a training, you knew you had to grip tight or else...

Sadly, I wouldn't know about vintage since the oldest bars I've trained with where frome the 90's and not really great. Not that many vintage pieces available here and I wouldn't have much space to hold on to them.

Dsloan likes this.