Forums Latest Members

Friendlyperson2012 on eBay

1. john_coburg Oct 5, 2020

Does anyone know this lot on eBay, based in Korea, or have experience with him? I have been following him for a while and actually bought an old jubilee bracelet from them/him a year or so ago, which i was happy with.

His stock seems to be a mixture of self-labelled 'genuine' and 'aftermarket' Rolex non-Professional models and accessories, often sold at auction at attractive prices. It's the items he lists as 'aftermarket' that i'm asking about here. Take this example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CUSTOM-M...993414?hash=item4221633d46:g:CWIAAOSwgINfcrkmPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network, which is a so-called aftermarket DJ 1601, currently for auction. Not only does it look like a pretty accurate copy, it (along with all his other 'aftermarket' pieces, which you search for my clicking the 'completed items' tab) it also exhibits patination, scratches, dings, even an overpolished bezel and what looks like service history written on the inside of the caseback. High-quality 'aftermarket' items usally stand out if only because they look brand spanking new, but that's the opposite here...and I imagine 'genuine'-looking dings are actually very difficult to inflict.

What do you think is going on here? Maybe they're frankenwatches, mishmashing genuine and aftermarket parts? The dial looks a bit too modern for a 1601 (looks more like something found on a 16233), and i'm sure i will be shown up for missing obvious inconsistencies, but they guy has had consistently strong feedback for a good while. If he sent something that blatently wasn't what was shown, i'd imagine he'd have been removed from eBay a long while ago... but he's been around since 2012. I guess i could buy something 'aftermarket' and see what i think when it arrives, but i wonder if anyone else has had direct experience of such purchases themselves...?

1601_1.JPG 1601_2.JPG 1601_3.JPG 1601_4.JPG
    1601_5.JPG

2. Dan S Oct 5, 2020

Dial is definitely aftermarket or modified, but much of the rest (or all of it) could be authentic. I think that you will have to ask the seller since he is not specific. My guess is that he will give you an accurate answer, if his English is good enough.