Forums Latest Members

First Time Poster -- Need advice on a listing

1. crustykneecaps May 24, 2020

Good Morning all! I've lurked around these forums and watchuseek before, but this is actually my first post here. I recently graduated, and I have been looking for a Quartz Omega Seamaster 300m 41mm full-size ref.2541.80 as a graduation gift to myself.

I found this listing first on chrono24, so first I did research about that website because I hadn't heard of it until yesterday. What I saw was essentially to try and stay away from private sellers (and this guy is). I contacted him explaining my situation, and he seemed very understanding and has answered all my questions so far. So far here is everything I have gathered (link is at the bottom):

He has also been on eBay since 2014 and is also listing this watch on eBay. He has great reviews and he has sold several watches in the past.

His warranty card checks out as being from a store in Pennsylvania where he claims to live, work, and to have gone to school. The serial number on the card also matches the serial number on the watch. I wanted to call the Jeweler, but COVID-19 -_-

He gave me his Facebook information and a list of a few groups he is in there, like Omega Owners, Dive Watch Owners, etc. which I was able to confirm. He said he is also a member on watchuseek, but not here. And that he has really only been a buyer there, and not much of a poster. He said he bought this watch originally as a graduation gift to himself, and that he is 39 now. Meaning he would have been 21 when he bought the watch, which totally makes sense.

The watch looks to be in good shape and seems authentic from the pictures. I am waiting to hear back from him about its service history.

Lastly as a question to the community, If I were to purchase this watch, would it be safer to do so on Ebay or chrono24? Everything really seems to be in order. Maybe I am just being overcautious?

TLDR; Is this listing the real deal?
    Link: https://www.chrono24.com/omega/25418000-seamaster-300m--id15169125.htm

Charlemagne1333 and timecube like this.
  2. Charlemagne1333 May 24, 2020

Looks legit to me

Counterfeit Seamasters from this period are usually easy to spot - namely the positioning of the helium escape valve tends to be placed below the 10 o’clock indice, and the bezel lume dot is usually just a blob that doesn’t sit neatly within the triangle

The serial number looks a bit odd, the ways it seems to sit within a frame. I can’t really offer any more assurance on this, so I’ll let others chime in here

Have a good one

3. timecube May 24, 2020

Excellent first post, except that it would be really more helpful to OF if you posted the pictures here too, and not just the link. The listing on C24 is ephemeral, and in a week, month, or year's time- will be lost to history.

kkt likes this.
  4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance May 24, 2020

I think you are covered either way. Chrono24 uses an "escrow service". They don't release the funds until you tell them too (or so I'm told).
    eBay has PayPal protection and if you use a credit card for either you should be covered. Looks like a nice example. Good hunting.

5. YY77 May 24, 2020

When I purchased via chrono24 the acknowledgement "the package delivered" was updated automatically, so I wasn't able to inspect it first to confirm it on their site myself. Luckily everything turned out to be genuine.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance May 24, 2020

Interesting. I bought a couple Speedmasters and they always would ask "OK to release funds?" or something to that effect. Perhaps it has changed.

connieseamaster likes this.
  7. orlis May 24, 2020

Package delivered Does not mean funds are released, you still need to approve that.

WatchCor, connieseamaster and tpatta like this.
  8. Jonathan40 May 24, 2020

If the guy selling has owned it since 2002, can you assume he has had the watch serviced at some time? The listing shows an Omega service red watch pouch and the bag has bracelet pins which I can assume were replaced. He should have a service report for the watch or he has bought a few little things to add to the sales pitch which would arouse suspicion in my eyes. Ask more questions about service history if any, watch does look ok but if no service card from Omega and he has all the original cards and a service pouch I’d be inclined to walk away. Plenty of these watches available. Congratulations on graduating, welcome to the forum and good luck with everything. First proper watch I ever bought myself to commemorate a promotion.

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 24, 2020

Hmm serial is about 4 years earlier which is not really a red flag.

It has a USA warranty card if I read the code right.

10. crustykneecaps May 24, 2020

Thanks for the advice! I’ll make sure to do this in the future. Should I add them to the thread so that the listing and question doesn’t get lost as you mentioned?

11. crustykneecaps May 24, 2020

The store that he bought it from is right in Pennsylvania from a Jeweler inside a mall that I have at least heard of before. I live in Maryland so I’m pretty close. Is a US warranty card normal if the watch was purchased in the US?

Foo2rama and timecube like this.
  12. timecube May 24, 2020

That would be great!

13. crustykneecaps May 24, 2020

Thanks for the advice. I’m planning to purchase with credit so I’ll probably just stick with Chrono24 as the seller mentioned the fees and taxes are a little lower and he can sell it just a little cheaper than eBay there.

14. crustykneecaps May 24, 2020

Will do this as soon as I have the chance!

15. crustykneecaps May 24, 2020

I appreciate the congratulations! He responded saying it has never needed any service, so he has never brought it in. I’ve always just assumed that I would likely need to service a used watch that is 18 years old some time soon after purchasing it. Assuming it doesn’t have any glaring issues and runs smoothly, what would the cost to service it look like? Omega’s website lists full service for a quartz watch at about $450. Does this sound reasonable? If so I think I could deal with that. I’ve shared this forum with him so that he can see, and answer any questions risen by the community, so I’ll post updates soon.

timecube likes this.
  16. timecube May 24, 2020

$450 isn't terrible. Omega does charge more than most watchmakers for servicing (You'd be looking at closer to $250 or $300)
    BUT, fewer watchmakers work with Quartz. If you can't find a reputable local person willing to work on it, service at Omega is probably a good deal.

crustykneecaps likes this.
  17. YY77 May 25, 2020

there was no option like that for me to confirm although I expected there to be.

18. YY77 May 25, 2020

This were all the process steps for my purchase, if somebody else confirmed an "OK to release funds" would he have the same flow or an additional step. For sure I didn't do that.

Screenshot_20200525-072845.png
  19. pongster May 25, 2020

Escrow service is not available for all sellers.

And each time escrow service available for my transaction, there is an extra step where i have to OK release of funds. If i recall, if i dont do anything in a week or so from delivery, funds will be released.

20. ConElPueblo May 25, 2020

Like @YY77 I too have had a Chrono24 transaction with escrow and automatic confirmation of delivery + release of funds. It happens.

YY77 likes this.