Forums Latest Members
  1. newboyintown Jan 4, 2020

Evening
    I’m new to the world of watches and I’m looking at a purchase, I’ve picked omega as I’ve always liked The style, especially the vintage ones.

ive found a few I like the look of (I’ve added some photos) but would like the advise of experts and some solid advice to steer me to in the right direction of further purchases.

mostly the do’s and don’ts when it comes to looking at omegas.

they are all from the same place, if that’s any help? Once I’ve got an idea on what to look for I will get an appointment to view each one.

many thanks in advance

86E46B36-1083-4324-B561-269B0CC2C839.jpeg 9251FF59-E837-4137-98A6-D4AA48B104BD.jpeg 4EB54B83-CB1A-4CE2-8D99-F4EB74AD8755.jpeg BC409895-083E-4527-AF0A-937A0E851AE9.jpeg
  2. Shabbaz Jan 4, 2020

First one is repainted.

Dan S, Otterina, ChrisN and 4 others like this.
  3. Shabbaz Jan 4, 2020

4. Shabbaz Jan 4, 2020

5. Edward53 Jan 4, 2020

4 radically different styles. I wouldn't buy one until you have decided which style works best for you and you have researched it. And Chrono24 is a dangerous place for beginners...

newboyintown, janice&fred and DaveK like this.
  6. Capt Cave Man Jan 4, 2020

Fine Watch Club in Norwich by any chance?

newboyintown likes this.
  7. newboyintown Jan 5, 2020

Yes that’s the place, I’m guessing not a great place to start??

Socks and STANDY like this.
  8. newboyintown Jan 5, 2020

Shabbaz and STANDY like this.
  9. newboyintown Jan 5, 2020

Ok noted, so out of the four the cosmic is by far my favourite.

10. Screwbacks Jan 5, 2020

price please.

both 2 and 3 should not hit you more 3k max. my 2 cents.

newboyintown likes this.
  11. newboyintown Jan 5, 2020

Just had a quick read on the first couple of posts, thanks for setting me straight!!! Invaluable info on the vintage buy, I am now concerned that I need to be expert level to be spotting any issues though!

chronos and Shabbaz like this.
  12. newboyintown Jan 5, 2020

Morning screwback, all of the above are under £1000 , which concerns me further!! Unless you mean 2 & 3 together??

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 5, 2020

Nope, you just have to slow down and run everything by here first.m

PS the second one is a $500US watch no more.

WatchCor, DaveK, aap and 3 others like this.
  14. newboyintown Jan 5, 2020

Thank you standy, I’ve been looking for absolute ages and finally thought about taking the plunge but for obvious reasons was concerned about how good these look, the old “if it looks too good it probably is” was ringing in my head.

15. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 5, 2020

Hi and welcome,
    Getting interested in vintage watches can be a great (and expensive) hobby but it is fraught with all sorts of possible pitfalls and risks. The reading you have been directed to above is all essential but you also need to know your own motivation. Buying a watch just because you like it, can afford it and not worrying too much about its provenance and originality is completely different to starting a collection and finding a collector grade watch.

In the case of the first example its pretty much go to a reputable seller and buy what you like.

In the second case you need to do lots of research if you you want to reduce the chance of paying "noob tax" - getting taken advantage if because of your inexperience. Most of us here have acted in haste at the early point of our purchases and ended up with a watch we have either overpaid for or are disappointed with once we have more knowledge - or both.

So read through forum posts, ask questions. Find out what a redial is and some ways to identify, what a polished case is, what information is inside the caseback, why you need a movement shot, the hands, Crystal's, crowns etc. etc. You won't become expert overnight but once you have the basics you will know better what to look for and what questions to ask.

All the best and Good luck ;)

ChrisN, Edward53, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  16. newboyintown Jan 5, 2020

The 2nd is up for £799

17. Screwbacks Jan 5, 2020

oh yes, i mean 2&3 for under 3k only. that's a good price for £1k for all? or each? what interests me is the no-date c-case cosmic and tv dial shape with 6 o'clock applied omega logo chronometer. both looks still in good condition. the other 2 might be considered gimmies already.

newboyintown likes this.
  18. Noddyman Jan 5, 2020

newboyintown likes this.
  19. newboyintown Jan 5, 2020

Honestly I’m overwhelmed with the response, and the amount of help, so thank you.

the motivation for starting is really not I’ve got spare cash and want to invest, it’s definitely more the appreciation of decent examples of workmanship, plus I love the timeless appeal of most vintage watches.

so am I ok with asking , if you don’t mind me asking, with cross reference of serial numbers and details I can just put it to the forums for advice and help?

20. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 5, 2020

No issues.
    You should also consider the private sales forum on here. As a new member you can still send messages to sellers and purchase. Whilst it is not completely foolproof and it is still your own risk you will be at least buying from another OF member, can vet their references, ask advice from other members and in all probability the watch sale will have been seen by the experienced members to ensure it is not outrageously incorrect.

Dr.Sascha, ewand and newboyintown like this.