Forums Latest Members

First Rolex purchase, any thoughts?

1. LeBapt Feb 20, 2022

Hello gents!

I am about to purchase my first Rolex, I have done my homework but I am always full of doubts when it comes to actually pull the trigger. Especially concerning the fact that a watch has been polished or not, and how well it has been done, also in terms of price point, I would really appreciate some feedback on the below pictures for me to see if I should pass or not.

I was aiming for a submariner 16613 or a sea-dweller 16600 but both tritium.

Here is the 16613, with paper only, N serial from 1991 priced at USD $12,000

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a 16600, full set, marks on the lugs, X serial from 1991 priced at USD $11,500

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is another 16600, full set, unpolished, R serial from 1988 priced at USD $17,000

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dan S Feb 20, 2022

I'm not really a huge fan of either reference, but if I had to choose, I would pick the Sea-Dweller. TT Subs look wrong to me.

You mentioned you want a tritium dial, is that because you are looking for patina on the lume? If so, both of the 16600 examples you've shown appear to have totally white markers, so they really don't give me a vintage vibe.

You might want to check the hands of the Sub with a UV light to double-check that they are tritium.

3. JwRosenthal Feb 20, 2022

I prefer the ‘91 Seadweller of the bunch, particularly at $6k less than the last for a little more wear I assume.
    As Dan said, the lume looks stark white on both which is not normally the case on Early 90’s Rolex (usually some shade of warm white by this point). The photos look over lit and heavily adjusted- so I assume in their attempt to make the watches “pop”, they washed out the color of the lume. I would ask for shots in direct sunlight, taken with an iPhone or the like with no filters or manipulation whatsoever.

Edit, I take it back- I didn’t notice this ding-dong on the ‘91- ouch!
    E1B4D82D-4AE8-4501-8431-D29FB4D15122.png

I would pass on all three- there are plenty more in the sea (pardon the pun).

Duracuir1 likes this.
  4. LeBapt Feb 20, 2022

Thanks to both of you!

What is wrong with the TT sub? Is there any red flag?

I want a tritium dial because I am an old school guy, and even if it is not yellowish I'd feel happier with a vintage one on the wrist.

From all the watch I have seen here, in Hong Kong, many of them did not turn creamy on the dial and hands and I have no idea why. Actually '91 is my birthyear so that is why was interested.

ikanbilisclub likes this.
  5. Dan S Feb 20, 2022

Some do and some don't. For me, patinated lume is a big part of the charm of a vintage watch. I have a few vintage watches whose lume has remained white, and I definitely don't enjoy them as much.

Benbradstock, JwRosenthal and marco like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Feb 21, 2022

The TT sub is a real acquired taste, you have to love them and they aren’t nearly as popular as the all stainless, I still thinks it’s a bit of a buyers market on two-tone subs.
    On this particular one, the hands bother me. The dial lume has aged to a nice shade of custard, but those hands are either service replacement or relumed with Luminova as they are stark white. It’s not uncommon for hands to age slightly different than the dial- maybe a shade or two off, but this is just too different for me to find attractive. If the price were really good ( is the $12k US or HK?) then I could see having the hands relumed to match the dial, but I wouldn’t pay a collectors premium for that watch.

Benbradstock, LeBapt and JayBe like this.
  7. TheGreekPhysique Feb 21, 2022

I am in agreement with Dan and J dubs, especially with regards to the assessment of the hands on the 16613. I would also add that its difficult to assess the case of the 16613 from the pictures but it appears to me as though the case has been refinished. That or unworn but again with the definition of the pictures available to us its difficult to tell. In fact out of the three the only one that appears as though it could be unpolished is the 16600.

8. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 21, 2022

Sign I’m aging: TT subs are starting to look reeeal good to these old eyes. That’s my value-add to this. Cheery-o!

Spacefruit, NGO1, Duracuir1 and 6 others like this.
  9. TheGreekPhysique Feb 21, 2022

I was literally just thinking the same thing!

marcn likes this.
  10. JwRosenthal Feb 21, 2022

We have a member here that had a blue two-tone sub for sale and I was totally drooling…what the hell is happening to me!!
    Next thing I’ll be wearing white loafers and black knee socks with Bermuda shorts!

nkhandekar, FREDMAYCOIN and marcn like this.
  11. TheGreekPhysique Feb 21, 2022

Now thats a picture I would pay for. Wear a watch you want to sell in the future in the photograph too. Will add some nice provenance.

marcn and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. kristal Feb 21, 2022

I wouldn't take the TT Sub either, IMHO it is not that "classy". I would go for a 16600 which sits surprisingly nicely even on smaller wrists compared to the new references.

Benbradstock, watch3s and JwRosenthal like this.
  13. Faz Feb 21, 2022

The damaged lugs are huge concerned. For the rest? Non matching hands on the sub and the “unpolished” 16000 for 17K? Ouch..Those bevels are unusually close to the lug holes?
    8A669BF1-59CA-4A62-99A2-5FDAD1B22C83.jpeg 86177EF6-2198-4A51-B82A-86A1B7DEE7E5.jpeg

JayBe likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Feb 21, 2022

All of your red ink is giving me flashbacks to college!! My senior thesis came back like that from my professor with a note saying “This is a good start, I’ll give you an extra month to get me the final draft”. ::facepalm2::

Scarecrow Boat, watch3s and Faz like this.
  15. Faz Feb 21, 2022

When I saw the word “flashback”, I had something else in mind as a “memory”…:cool:

JwRosenthal likes this.
  16. LeBapt Feb 22, 2022

I must admit that even thought I never had any crush on a TT sub (I was more going towards a 14060 tritium) it feels amazing on the wrist, and I love the look. But to be honest I did not pay enough attention to the hands. They were matching the dial to me, but when I look at the pictures, you are right. All prices are in USD.

Could not say better. When I had it on my wrist (which is small) the magic happened!

If you take a look at the sub, there is one side which has the spring bars closer to the lugs holes than the other side. I did not know what to think about it either.

17. LeBapt Feb 24, 2022

Hello gents,

Just came across an interesting one today, at least in terms of price. I did not have my phone with me to take more pictures unfortunately but the full set is price at USD $12,300

It has some scratches but looks ok and much cheaper than the other that I have seen.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Feb 24, 2022
    Benbradstock likes this.
  18. Faz Feb 24, 2022

At first glance, a much more reasonable option..Those lugs seem full and in original condition, save the scratches that can be buffed/polished out.
    Don’t forget, unless a watch comes from the original owner and clearly states he never sent the watch to Rolex for service, you can’t assume it’s unpolished. Rolex can polish your watch and barely notice it.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  19. mzzleather Feb 24, 2022

good luck on your purchase! once first one is outta the way, more will come ha

20. JwRosenthal Feb 24, 2022

Much better looking watch! Those little scratches don’t bother me, they are part of life…or someone who needs glasses when changing straps. But they are honest, and part of the natural wear of the watch. Price doesn’t seem horrible considering what others seem to be selling for, of course if you are offering cash to the seller you can always negotiate.