Forums Latest Members

First Omega In Space (2012 Speedmaster) FOIS, Roll Call

1. 405 Jan 25, 2021

My FOIS speedmaster with my Submariner Date. I was lucky enough to get the last new one at my AD a couple weeks ago. I didn't care for the factory strap so I put it on one of the forestner flat link bracelets which completely transforms the watch!

Number #126xx

PXL_20210123_174946737.jpg PXL_20210123_174934130.jpg
    Edited Jan 26, 2021
  2. JohnRaz Jan 25, 2021

2 of the most iconic watches in one shot !

Congratulations !

405 likes this.
  3. 405 Jan 25, 2021

Thank you!!

4. w@tcher Jan 25, 2021

Congrats!!
    Great choise!

405 likes this.
  5. 405 Jan 25, 2021

Thanks!
    After owning the FOIS a couple things stand out to me:

1.The case. I love the slender case lines with the no crown guards and it is by far my favorite feature of this watch. I also like the additional polished beveling which is beautifully done by Omega.
    2. The dial. Specifically the longer hour marker indices. It is something you can easily miss in photos, but compared to the current day Speedmaster Professional, it is actually quite a different look.
    3. Putting this watch on a flat link from Forstner or Uncle Seiko and you have something that closely resembles the new Cal.321 Ed White for a fraction of the $$. It is no wonder Omega stopped production on these. I think they want to keep some of the exclusivity with the slender case on the 321s.
    4. The FOIS still doesn't scratch my itch for the Speedmaster Professional but it will make a great companion to it. I had been debating the FOIS vs. a new Speedmaster Professional for a while. The push for the FOIS was when I found out it would soon be discontinued and it would be now or never if I wanted a new one. I still plan to pick up the new 2021 Speedmaster Pro hesalite in a few months when they are more readily available. Owning the FOIS for a short while made me realize there are in fact a lot of differences between the 2 watches that I can justify owning both. You have the 39.5mm vs. 42mm case styles, Hesalite vs Sapphire, Alpha vs stick hands, applied vs painted logo, dial indices long vs short, different style chrono hand, step dial, the list goes on! They're so similar but so different.
    5. A few minor gripes, the case back is not the most comfortable and it always leaves markings on my arm, I dont know if anyone else has the same feeling as me. I am thinking about changing it out for one of the vintage flat style plain Speedmaster casebacks. Also wondering if it will feel any thinner on the wrist by switching out the caseback? I am also considering having my watchmaker change out the running seconds hand to a stick style to match the other 2 subdials.
    6. The Forstner flat link is amazing for the $. I had an Omega 1039/516 on my pre moon professional, and this offering from Forstner is nearly identical in looks and feel. Very very happy with this bracelet.

Edited Jan 26, 2021
  6. DoctorEvil Jan 25, 2021

Congrats on your purchase! Lucky you managed to pick up the FOIS before it was gone. Both watches look great and have pretty much covered all your bases. A sports chronograph for day to day and a divers for when you're going to be in water. In your pics the Rolex Sub to my eye looks a bit bigger than the FOIS, which surprised me a bit given that their case diameters are not that different.

Do you mind if I asked when you purchased your Submariner and how long you had to wait for it? I hear that waiting lists for stainless steel Rolex sports watches are insane at the moment.

Also have been reading your comments re the FOIS. I find it quite a thick watch as well. Don't know if it's just the caseback contributing to it as I have not had a chance to examine a Speedy Pro to compare.

Edited Jan 25, 2021
  7. Sidrox25 Jan 25, 2021

My FOIS

[​IMG]

Bugster987, SwissMe, 405 and 7 others like this.
  8. vintage hab Jan 25, 2021

Congrats on your two watches, they are both great. The Forsnter bracelet does look great on the FOIS, I should probably get one for mine.

There are several posts about modifying the FOIS in this and other threads: second hand, caseback, etc. Obviously everyone can do as they please, but I guess I'm a purist: I wonder why buy the FOIS if you're only going to change everything on it!

9. DoctorEvil Jan 25, 2021

Very nice. May I ask what is the LE number? The highest one on this thread so far is 156XX.

Edited Jan 25, 2021
  10. 405 Jan 26, 2021

Thanks!
    Visually in person the sub does appear to be a bit bigger. I think the Sub looking larger is mostly due to the supercase lugs which gives it a more boxy look. I haven't measured with my calipers, but I think the FOIS may be slightly thicker than the sub. In the photo both watches are resting on their clasp, the Rolex clasp is a lot taller than the clasp on the Forstner flat link, so the sub is a little closer to the camera which can make it appear larger too.
    I purchased my sub back in early 2018 from my AD and waited only a couple weeks. I had previous history with them which helped. But I don't know if I would have had such luck today. It has only gotten more and more difficult to get steel Rolex since then. I love my Sub but I do not think I will be a buyer for any more Rolex in the current second hand market. There are other watches out there that offer a lot better value IMO.

11. 405 Jan 26, 2021

You will really like the Forstner! I always like the look of a leather strap but have learned I always go back to the bracelet on all my watches after putting them on leather or a nato. So for me the Forstner is the perfect option.

12. texasmade Jan 26, 2021

Sub is thinner than the FOIS. Sub is under 12.5mm while FOIS is around 14.5mm.

DoctorEvil and 405 like this.
  13. Sidrox25 Jan 26, 2021

Mine is a preowned one from a couple of years back. It shows a 94xx serial number.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  14. Mot_Man Jan 26, 2021

First post and my first Omega arrived today!
    I've always wanted a Speedmaster and had been thinking about getting a vintage one for ages but when I heard the FOIS was being discontinued I decided to make the jump. Loving it so far and thinking about the next strap combo ;)
    Numbered 127xx

IMG_2142.jpg

15. w@tcher Jan 26, 2021

Welcome & congrats on this beautiful piece!
    Did you buy it as new or used?

16. Mot_Man Jan 26, 2021

New. Goldsmiths here in the UK still seem to have stock floating about.

wilderbeast likes this.
  17. DoctorEvil Jan 26, 2021

Congrats on your purchase. I must admit, I'm more conservative with my strap selections and am more likely to switch to a black perforated leather racing strap rather than a colorful one like yours. It would make a great conversation starter.
    By the way, may I ask what's your LE number?

vintage hab likes this.
  18. DoctorEvil Jan 26, 2021

Thank you for your response.
    You're a very lucky person to have had to wait only 2 weeks for your Submariner. Agree that having a previous history with your AD would have helped you. These days I read on various fora that a buying history with your AD would be needed just to get on to the waitlist, let alone have such a short wait time. Would love to get a GMT Master II as well to complement my Speedy but that might have to wait for another day, when the market is not as frenzied as it is now.

405 likes this.
  19. DNX Jan 28, 2021

My FOIS sporting its new leather jacket...

FOIS Black Leather.jpeg

aesguerra, scapa, cvalue13 and 4 others like this.
  20. DoctorEvil Jan 28, 2021

Wow, that looks great!
    I love how swapping straps can change the look of a watch. There are so many great options out there that I sometimes wish that Omega had a quick change mechanism that allows me to easily swap out straps from time to time.