Forums Latest Members

First Omega In Space (2012 Speedmaster) FOIS, Roll Call

1. DNX Jan 28, 2021

The straps I purchase are hand made and with quick release spring bars so the straps are easy to change in seconds when you want to sport a different image...

Eve and DoctorEvil like this.
  2. scapa Jan 28, 2021

Very nice. Who is your vendor? The only quick-release straps I've tried have been the Bartons, and while they worked well for the most part, they weren't compatible with many of the straps I own.

3. DNX Jan 28, 2021

I use a business called The Strap Tailor (https://thestraptailor.com/) they are not cheap but top quality...

I have bought straps for my Omega FOIS and Tudor BB58 Blue from them - about to order one in Oxblood Cordoba for my Rising Sun.

scapa likes this.
  4. madhatter77 Jan 29, 2021

Don’t change the running seconds hands! It’s one of the best features, a form-follows-function upgrade. It separates the time of the day hands from chrono hands visually, like some of the racing models did (chrono hands were orange). And also things like that that subtly attack the order and symetry are what good design is about, it crates dynamism, when used for practical puropse it creates positive tension.

5. kylepchiang Feb 6, 2021

Interesting point about attacking the symmetry. It’s stands out so much to me, it makes it both immediately recognizable but also sometimes a distraction. I’m in the process of swapping the caseback on my FOIS (#10,4##) for an exhibition case. I considered changing the subdial hands and adding a lollipop chrono second hand but didn’t pull the trigger.

What are everyone’s thoughts on MODs in general? I know there are some that would never buy a Frankenwatch but the counter argument is “buy/wear what you like”. For those against MODs: is it because it’s not true to the design or is there more of a concern if it was done the right way? Something else?

6. madhatter77 Feb 6, 2021

that different hands cause you a distraction is good, that was my point: it has that function. The intent was to differentiate the two different functions on the dial quickly. And by that the purely visual harmony was lost to an extent. Speaking only from visual pount od view (as if watches were not useful objects) only harmony is not the alpha and omega of aesthetics. “Errors” have their function in what excites us. Limiting our mind to consuming only symmetry is just that - limited perception. And taking into account that watches are functional objects and not static aesthetic jewelry and that their very nature is that they are never symmetrical (hands show time - if we wanted symmetry we’d have hands of same length and pointing to 10, 2 and 6 all day) the differentiated design of time of day hands and chronograph hands excite me because that shiws simeone used their mind and a certain logic as well as he created visual interest out of the main parh of boring symetry.

7. kylepchiang Feb 6, 2021

Totally agree that the “errors” and minute differences, visually appealing or not, are exciting and what bring joy to the hunt.

I get the point and design of matching the subdial alpha hand to the main hands, but to me it adds no true functional value: the running second hand is the one that’s moving. The chrono registers are blatantly obvious after the first use.

8. madhatter77 Feb 6, 2021

In a scenario, once upon a time, when some of the watches were actually used for their intent (speedmaster=racing chronograph), a visual differentiation upon a quick glance, when attention is divided on watching the road, handling a car at speed and checking elapsed time, is a wellcome thing. Ut is of course not absolutely needed but is wellcome. White hands that are relevant a d pop out from other clutter on a dial in moments of quick glance during timing are a functional element. And they manage to create visual interest along the way. I like it very much and am sticking to this explanation :))

kylepchiang likes this.
  9. vintage hab Feb 6, 2021

Everyone is welcome to do whatever they want with their watch, but personally I prefer originality and don't intend to ever modify a watch. I bought the watch because I like it, and I value its authenticity. But it certainly doesn't bother me if others make modifications, it's just not for me.

kylepchiang, w@tcher and madhatter77 like this.
  10. madhatter77 Feb 6, 2021

I too like to preserve the authenticity but sometimes would like to temporarily modify the look. Have never done that. Changing straps has been the biggest modification for me up till now and I sonehow end uo with the original strap most of the time :)
    Lollipop hand would be a great temporary mod in my thinking, if the hand was painted white. If not I think the concept would be ruined and would not fit the spirit.

vintage hab and kylepchiang like this.
  11. dtle Feb 6, 2021

I generally have strong enough opinions about what I like/dislike about watches that if I have the ability to mod a watch (ie. Source the oem parts that I want) and then I would do the modifications without a second thought.

A qualified watchmaker will be doing the modifications, I will be keeping the original parts, so everything can always be returned to original if I choose.

I love the fois case, but prefer the speedmaster professional hands, so my fois will be getting a new 1861 handset (including small seconds subdial). I'm also going to try to source a new service pre moon caseback. I considered an exhibition caseback but decided I would appreciate shaving 1 mm off of the height more than seeing the movement.

kylepchiang and madhatter77 like this.
  12. Eve Feb 7, 2021

Thats a wrong assumption that the original Sapphire caseback from the Speedmaster is thicker than the solid caseback. Infact its the other way around on the modern ones.

13. dtle Feb 7, 2021

This is true, but I was comparing the unnecessarily thick fois caseback with its deep engraving to a pre moon service replacement caseback.

14. Eve Feb 7, 2021

True, the FOIS caseback is indeed a bit thicker.

15. scapa Feb 8, 2021

I am def tempted to give the transparent caseback a whirl. I don't mind the thickness of the engraved FOIS and mine isn't sharp like some but the 1861 is an appealing movement, if not particularly fancy.

16. Mra12345 Feb 11, 2021

Got mine back today from Omega. Tested and is now holding seal against condensation so far. Looking good on the flat link.

55EC0DB8-723E-481D-B3AD-4448168DD592.jpeg
  17. Sidrox25 Feb 11, 2021

Still loving mine after 3 months of ownership

IMG_6450.jpeg
    SwissMe, TJH, nicolamilton and 5 others like this.
  18. scapa Feb 11, 2021

Glad to hear it!

Took mine glacier skiing a while back on a day when the temps dipped to -27 and must admit I was getting pretty worried but it came through fine. Tough little feller for sure.

texasmade likes this.
  19. cvalue13 Feb 11, 2021

You lost your running second hand ;)

See why the other two are painted white? :D

TJH likes this.
  20. JohnRaz Feb 12, 2021

I changed the leather on mine for this combo, still in love with FOIS !

IMG_20210210_104709.jpg
    SwissMe, wilderbeast, TJH and 2 others like this.