F1 2022

Piastri has put out a statement saying that he will not be driving for Alpine in 2023. 🍿

This could be a really interesting silly season.
::stirthepot::

Oh wow that’s pathetic, how on earth does a team that big humiliate themselves like that by announcing a driver without getting his signature or permission.???

Autosport are covering it too… if he’s saying he won’t be with Alpine that tends to indicate he’s been talking to Mclaren you wound imagine about taking over from Danny Ric, in which case Alpine would be left to take Danny Ric back or hire… maybe Albon or Latifi?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/p...d-with-alpine-to-race-in-f1-in-2023/10347898/

hire… maybe Albon or Latifi?
I’ve seen this mentioned twice but haven’t seen any news. What’s happening?

The Piastri situation is similar to the Alex Palou situation in IndyCar. Ganassi put out a statement saying he was staying put for 2023 while Palou and McLaren put out statements saying he was signing with McLaren.

McLaren will have one heck of a roster across F1, IndyCar and Formula E with Norris, Ricciardo, Pato O’Ward, Palou, Felix Rosenqvist, Colton Herta (development deal) and possibly Piastri all under contract.

Thinking back they’ve had Kmag, Hulk, Sainz, Danny Ric, Alonso, this has to be the weakest pairing they’ve had since 2011, just as they’re meant to be taking a step up. Oscar better be on it from the jump or they’ll be fighting Alfa and Haas for scraps
Don't forget Jolyon Palmer. Not a great driver but I really like his post race commentary that gets posted on Youtube.

Additional context for this whole situation is that Alpine had a pre-contract with Oscar Piastri. Alpine has been trying to place Piastri for a while now with the expectation that Alonso was going to fill the seat for 2023. However, the pre-contract expired on July 31st meaning that Piastri is free to look elsewhere.

With Alonso’s announcement on 8/1, Alpine did not have any claim to Piastri and according to rumors, he’s entered in a pre-contract with McLaren.

Alpine is now claiming that Piastri is still in contract with them, hence, their PR announcement.

This is becoming more and more embarrassing for Alpine.

TL;DR - Alpine played chicken with Alonso and Piastri and managed to lose 2 drivers in a matter of days.

Piastri must be extremely confident of Ricciardo’s seat at McLaren, otherwise his statement is ill-advised. As he was reserve at both Alpine and McLaren he would have been confident of a seat for 2023, but I’m not convinced that McLaren is a better option for him as I get the impression that Norris is not the best teammate.

I would think that Ricciardo has burnt any chances of getting the drive at Alpine by the way he left Renault, so where does that leave him?

I would think that Ricciardo has burnt any chances of getting the drive at Alpine by the way he left Renault, so where does that leave him?

In the WEC maybe?

Piastri must be extremely confident of Ricciardo’s seat at McLaren, otherwise his statement is ill-advised. As he was reserve at both Alpine and McLaren he would have been confident of a seat for 2023, but I’m not convinced that McLaren is a better option for him as I get the impression that Norris is not the best teammate.

Piastri prolly signed with mclaren already, seems quite obvious. Why would he reply otherwise, as a rookie you should be happy just getting a seat.

Ricciardo might move on to Indycar?
Like Grosjean and Ericsson did.
He do spend a lot of time in the States. 😀

From 3 drivers for 2 seats to only one driver to fill them, and that in the space of 48 hours. Way to go, Alpine!

To be fair, the Alpine team is very different from the Renault team he left. Most of the old guard are gone. And given Ricciardo’s performance, I can see them signing Ricciardo at a discount. If it was truly a car compatibility issue and Ricciardo hasn’t lost his touch, it would be a really good deal for Alpine.

Other than that, I can see Alpha Tauri and Williams being an option for him.

Other than that, I can see Alpha Tauri and Williams being an option for him.

I imagine you are envisioning him taking Tsunoda's seat, but I hardly see that as an option as Red Bull will want to reserve that slot for one of their young drivers from the feeder series. Unless you are thinking that Alpha Tauri may wish to jettison Gasly, who's never going to move back to the main Red Bull team, and replace him with an even more experienced driver to act as a benchmark for an up and coming talent.

In that last case, I could actually see Alpine going "full French" with a Gasly and Ocon lineup.

jettison Gasly, who's never going to move back to the main Red Bull team, and replace him with an even more experienced driver to act as a benchmark for an up and coming talent.
Who does RB have in their driver program, that is sitting idly by, that has more experience than Gasly? Though they can, they aren't known for pulling drivers from outside their pool. Because of this, bumping Gasly would mean that RB AT would have a rookie line up, and I can hardly see that happening. Tsunoda is no where near ready to be the team leader.

I haven't said that I'm seeing them keep Tsunoda. As fast as the chap may be over a single lap, he hasn't shown the level of consistency that is needed to succeed in F1. So I'd be very surprised if he was to remain past this current season. And that's why I see his seat being given to another rising talent from the Red Bull stable.

Currently, the Red Bull Junior Team has 3 drivers racing in Formula 2: Jehan Daruvala (5th in the championship), Liam Lawson (8th) and Dennis Hauger (12th). It is conceivable that none of them would be fully ready to move up by the end of this season, but two of them are already multiple winner in their category, so they won't stay in F2 forever.

Ferrari must be stoked right now that Alpine decided to stop on the clown stage. Takes a lot of heat off of the Ferrari strategy team since now everyone is asking wtf is Alpine doing.

With the way things are going, I don’t think any of the Red Bull Junior drivers in F2 will have enough Super License points to be able to move up into F1 next season. If Alpha Tauri can’t hold onto both drivers for 2023, it’ll most likely be an experienced driver stepping in.

"If all the drivers were truck drivers"

index.php
this is hilarious!! 😁😁

With the way things are going, I don’t think any of the Red Bull Junior drivers in F2 will have enough Super License points to be able to move up into F1 next season. If Alpha Tauri can’t hold onto both drivers for 2023, it’ll most likely be an experienced driver stepping in.
Alpine do also have another very promising Aussie, Jack Doohan in their junior program but he’s going to have the same problem super license wise

Alpine do also have another very promising Aussie, Jack Doohan in their junior program but he’s going to have the same problem super license wise

He was part of the Red Bull Junior Team until last year, before joining the Alpine Academy in 2022. He currently sits 9th in the F2 championship, after clinching two sprint race victories.