Forums Latest Members
  1. speedydownunder May 12, 2020

Smart move by Red Bull to lock Max in for another 3 years.

2. vbrad26 May 12, 2020

I don't see Alonso coming back to Ferrari. Nor Mclaren. So Maybe Renault? Seb could fill a spot at Renault as well.
    I think I'm most excited to see where Ricciardo could end up. There are potential Mercedes and Ferrari spots for him.
    I would love to see Hulk come back in the Haas or (even though he supposedly rejected the offer for 2020) Mclaren.
    Seb does not seem to carre about the pay, but rather that he has the teams full backing and #1 driver status.
    He could help the midfield teams like Renault or Mclaren. He also never seemed keen on retirement...at least not quite yet.
    Goddamn I'd love to see him at Haas though...I don't think that is a reality. But I just gave myself goosebumps haha.

3. vbrad26 May 12, 2020

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 12, 2020

Alonso posted an image saying Timing will always beat speed, with a samurai similar to his tattoo, and then a second image saying "Yes you can #14" in Spanish, he hasn't raced under #14 since F1, he had 66 at indy, other numbers for endurance racing and Dakar.

I think he's coming back, its more a matter of where and he made it clear he wouldn't come back unless it was in a competitive team which makes me think it has to be Ferrari. With the new budget cap squeezing all the teams he's one of the few guys who would be willing to drive for peanuts to be in the right car at this point.

vbrad26 likes this.
  5. vbrad26 May 12, 2020

Hmmmm. I mean I wouldn't be mad at it. I just didn't see it happening (a Ferrari return).
    He'd probably be ok with being the #2 driver as well. Since Seb clearly wasn't.
    I guess you can't rule it out....

6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 12, 2020

Kimi!!! Kimi!!! Kimi!!!

7. vbrad26 May 12, 2020

Hands down was the best moment of Drive to Survive 2

8. texasmade May 12, 2020

Budget cap doesn't involve driver pay though. I don't see FA going back to Ferrari which will cause problems with Leclerc. There's no way Mercedes would sign him since they still have Lewis for now. If Lewis resigns with Mercedes for 2021 then Bottas will most likely stay put.

9. simonsays May 12, 2020

Dani Ricardo to Ferrari makes sense to me. Alonso not at all, your just replacing one moaning under performing driver with an even bigger moaning under performing driver.
    Alonso to Renault makes more sense as they clutch at straws to help them out of that hole they have fallen into. Unless Lewis goes to Ferrari, then chaos reigns!
    I think certain drivers have proven they can cope with a strong team mate and no official number 1 driver status, Hamilton Verstappen and Ricardo fall into that camp. Drivers like Alonso, Vettel, and Schumacher need to have No.1 status or they throw the toys out of the pram. I think they can end up being a liability to the team unless they are performing head and shoulders above their team mates.

Edited May 12, 2020
  10. Albe100 May 12, 2020

As much as I love D. Ricciardo, he did leave Red Bull, a winning car on the rise for a lackluster Renault. IMO I believe he left due to the immense pressure from Max. You could see some of the mistakes in his drives, which were uncommon before the pressure started to mount.

I would be curious to see how he handles going to Ferrari and coping with the pressure of competing with a driver who's now made his mark in the team and is slotted as a future champion and most likely their future champion.

11. simonsays May 12, 2020

It is an interesting point, it could be out of the frying pan and into the fire for Ricardo. I think he was in an impossible situation at Red Bull where they had made it clear his position was Number 2 driver, and he was not on an equal footing with Max.
    Whether or not he finds he is in the same position at Ferrari remains to be seen.

Albe100 likes this.
  12. vbrad26 May 12, 2020

That's pretty much what I was going to say.
    I'm sure Max pressured him for sure, but I think more than anything it was the fact that the team clearly was investing in Max.
    I don't think anyone would turn down the offer to drive for Ferrari.
    Danny is a good driver, he either has a shot at giving Charles a run for his money, or he spends a couple seasons in a (hopefully) really good car getting the experience driving for one of the most coveted teams in F1 history.

simonsays likes this.
  13. Wivac Terribly special May 13, 2020

Silly season cont, today's euro news:
    Journo 1: VET to McLaren as SAI to Fezza
    Journo 2: Nooooo, RIC already signed to McLaren as SAI to Fezza.
    ::popcorn::

14. vbrad26 May 13, 2020

And who are their sources I wonder? lol.

15. Martin_J_N May 13, 2020

Ferrari in negotiation with Sainz to replace Vet according to UK press, Ric to replace Sainz with Alonso replacing Ric at Renault.

All via Sky Sports and Martin Brundle.

16. simonsays May 13, 2020

Yes perhaps number 2 driver was too strong, more 1a and 1b, but not good for his head. Lets hope McLaren can give him something competitive. It is interesting Ferrari chose Carlos over Danny.

17. MaiLollo May 14, 2020

I don't understand why they would go for Sainz over Ricciardo, but hey what do I know ?!

18. MRC May 14, 2020

19. vbrad26 May 14, 2020

Well jeez are all of you still sleeping?
    I figured I would have for sure seen a bit of discussion already lol.

Sainz to Ferrari - Confirmed
    Ricciardo to Mclaren - Confirmed
    Vettel to ? - .........

If he does not just call it quits his options would be:
    Mercedes (both HAM and BOT are not confirmed but likely they will be)
    Red Bull (only VER confirmed)
    Renault (obviously an open seat next to OCO)
    HAAS (I don't think either MAG or GRO are confirmed)

I did not include any of the other teams because I would find it quite unlikely that he would make a move to any of them.
    Maybe Williams? lol.

20. texasmade May 14, 2020

Vettel is going to retire. I just don’t see him going to Renault or any other non top tier team.