Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ac106 Oct 6, 2018

The fact that it’s an Ultraman.

2. Davidt Oct 6, 2018

Haha "Blue Snaggletooth"!!!

I remember trying to find one in the late 90's when I was about 16.

Didn't manage it, but found EV9D9 in a local pawn shop for a fiver.

3. tyrantlizardrex Oct 6, 2018

For clarity, I think all of this weird bullshit is dumb.

Irrespective of which brand or model.

Some people have turned this hobby into an abstract where all it’s really about is money and dickswinging. Yawn.

Kmart, sdre, heavenscloud and 5 others like this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex Oct 6, 2018

10 years ago, financial advisors and assets managers at banks, were not treating watches as an asset class.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 6, 2018

yes but people complaint already that a paul newman is 15k , so whats your point. as long u r not in the market for one, who cares

6. Dan S Oct 6, 2018

I basically agree with this, but I also suspect that speculation/investment in vintage watches for purely financial reasons does trickle down to put pressure on models that a normal collector like me would want to buy. It also will potentially lead to price volatility in the future.

I'm just talking though, none of this will really change my decisions and behavior. Life is short, and I will buy the watches I like.

Kmart, marco, Khamenman and 7 others like this.
  7. simonsays Oct 6, 2018

The thing about these watches is that judging by the serial numbers there could be approximately 3000 of these 'Ultramans' out there. How many have had the hands reverted to standard over the years is unknowable, but potentially many may start to come to light as the value is established. I don't think anyone sane would pay more than £25k for a good one?

8. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 6, 2018

you read the fratello article but didn't get it ....

9. Atalien2005 Oct 6, 2018

I wouldn't pay half of that for it, but I haven't seen one in person. So this unique dial that Vintagewtchzilla speaks of, I guess could potentially change my mind. Though I highly doubt it.

I am glad it was produced because it was the inspiration behind SpeedyTuesday 2. Other than that it's just a watch with an orange hand with an Extract that says orange hand. If we all loved the same watches, this would be a very boring hobby without a lot of variety.

10. tyrantlizardrex Oct 6, 2018

Well done for completely ignoring what I wrote.

My point is that the market now, is not the market 10 years ago.

Prices are not being driven just by collectors who are interested in watches because they are watches, but by people who are interested in watches as they believe they have a value which will appreciate.

These people could be buying gold, pork futures, or unicorn horns - the asset itself doesn’t matter, the value and it increasing does.

You goons getting your knickers in a twist because your watches are “valuable”, and the ones that aren’t quite the same as yours “not valuable” is hilarious.

You should see how dumb you look, sniping and complaining.

11. simonsays Oct 6, 2018

I didn't read the Fratello article, but I can count serial numbers. How many got the orange hands is pure guesswork, so up to 3000 would be a reasonable estimate, and even Omega at this stage, more than 50 years later is guessing at numbers.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 6, 2018

i'm out, waste of bits and bytes

Foo2rama and gdupree like this.
  13. MikeMan2727 Oct 6, 2018

I wonder why it has to be guesswork for them. They have the archives. Why not just give a summer intern a "project" and have them look at every serial in the range? :D

BenBagbag and Pun like this.
  14. stefman Oct 6, 2018

Sorry guys, but I have the best ultraman in the world

D2F9BA5B-5ED2-4F20-80EF-88A6364257E4.jpeg

Thought this thread needed some pics and a chuckle

Kmart, heavenscloud, Rman and 4 others like this.
  15. chunkythebulldog Oct 6, 2018

I assume you are talking about FA/AM investing their own money in watches, not their clients? Obviously they can't invest their clients money as the vintage watch market isn't regulated by the FCA. So it's bankers that are pushing up the price of watches?

16. Rman Oct 6, 2018

What I find funny is that there is a pissing match between Tyrantlizardrex and Vintagewatchzilla.

Rochete, Nathan1967, Kmart and 9 others like this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Oct 6, 2018

Several financial folks over the last few months have told me that they advise high net worth private clients, to diversify their portfolio by “investing” in “high end vintage watches”.

All work for different firms, so i don’t think this is something that a few rogue individuals have decided to do on their own...

18. Rman Oct 6, 2018

Cities will fall... when monsters swing their...

1FB37621-019E-4D54-8201-892221758592.jpeg

superfly, Kmart, marco and 9 others like this.
  19. simonsays Oct 6, 2018

There are no records in the archives of this kind of detail. So even Omega have to guess if the watch originally came with an orange hand. This is based on the correct hand attached to a movement number in the correct range. I believe the dials were ordered in batches of 500, so if they include this detail, that would reduce numbers further. It is still guesswork though.

mr_yossarian and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  20. ac106 Oct 6, 2018

This thread really seems to be triggering you.

You should probably ignore it.

Archer, Vintagewtchzilla and kov like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.