Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 3, 2018

MWO propose that the 145.012 with special equipment of an orange hand is a "Genuine Model" . I am not sure by what that means, but I look at this watch as simply that, a 145.012 with an admittedly unique orange hand.

Now special equipment speedmasters, do command a premium. Black and grey racing dials spring to mind. The blue soleil dials I do not count as they are not noted as special equipment from new (so far).

I do not know if the dial differences are certain, as so few have been examined, but it is possible that all models fitted with an orange hand also had the special dial but this dial is not noted in the production records. So this is an assumption, that was founded on the examination of three examples, and then other watches with a similar appearing dial used to reinforce the theory while others with regular dials are dismissed as incorrect. This may turn out to be true, but it is currently based on thin, or at least unpublished evidence.

There are very few of these and fewer on the market. None of the current owners of UM's that I know of paid anything like the amounts now thrown around in fora discussing values. I have heard $35,000 for a full set - but that is unconfirmed, but believable. I know of two friends who I think are nuts who would buy an UM if offered one for that.

The market is a funny thing, and it is unarguable. We can say it is crazy, but as long as the watches trade for these values we cannot say it is wrong. My thoughts are than the market is so thin, is it real? I think it is.

It do not agree that an Orange Hand 145.012 with a specific serial is worth 3 to 8 times the standard watch, but then again the racing is worth 8 to 12 times more. (Would I feel like that if did not own one?).

I would love to see the dial differences. It would be kind if any owners could post side by side comparisons, unless they are keeping them out of sight in preparation for a Christies/Phillips auction :)

2. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 3, 2018

It is based on thin info is qirt funny to say. Btw you got this info out of the article from MWO article last year. Just to name the source.

We know atm of lets say 25 within the collectors community and all i and other have inspected have the silk black dial and we cover more as half of those watches.
    So yes the common sense is that is the correct dial. Even a relumed one has it also a first owners one. So a point hard to discuss about.

Sure those who have a watch in the correct range and a orange hand would be happy if they could make their regular production dial also accepted. But i think this will never happen.

Pricewise yes it has to command a premium simply due it’s rarety.

Edited Oct 3, 2018
    igloe likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 3, 2018

They are all coming out now ......

oddboy and Dan S like this.
  4. Dgercp Oct 3, 2018

Rare shmare, you call someone a dick for an innocent and fully justified observation!
    I personally would not take your "masterpiece" for 5k.

Kmart, bazderome, Pun and 6 others like this.
  5. Dan S Oct 3, 2018

I'm a dick too.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 9.02.35 PM.png

kreyke, morningtundra, Kmart and 9 others like this.
  6. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 3, 2018

... that’s cool cuz u don’t have to care anymore :thumbsup:

Pun, gdupree and Dan S like this.
  7. Atalien2005 Oct 3, 2018

Rare yes, special? I would say no, not for 80k because it simple has a orange hand. It would be cool to take a picture of it next to the tribute watch. Mark me down in the category of taking the Ultraman 2 over this example.

Pun likes this.
  8. rfordo Oct 3, 2018

OP has gone quiet a bit. Maybe would rather let a $.99 no reserve auction do the talking?

9. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 3, 2018

Please :)

Photo 24.08.18 19 00 17.jpg

Calling for action :whistling:

blowfish89, Seaborg, nixf6 and 24 others like this.
  10. lowen Moonwatch Only Author Oct 3, 2018

I'm not sure I got the point...

Someone is trying to sell a Speedmaster UM for 80k saying it is the best UM in the world?
    Is it (seriously) the object of the discussion? Or did I miss something?

11. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 3, 2018

::popcorn::

igloe likes this.
  12. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 3, 2018

hey G
    yes this is exactly the topic and it escalated quickly as what i see atm nobody shares the opinion of the seller :whistling:

Pun, lowen and igloe like this.
  13. igloe Oct 3, 2018

Yes, more or less. But he will lower the price as other showed better ones

morningtundra and lowen like this.
  14. lowen Moonwatch Only Author Oct 3, 2018

:D

igloe likes this.
  15. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 3, 2018

atm nothing happend as he only renames people but is not really creative as he names them all Dick. over long run we should consider dick 1 dick2 .... cuz else it would be confusing.

for more creative guys i would like to see something like

DFF26614-DE52-48A9-9D20-20CE2E3D8075.jpeg

16. bags1971 Oct 3, 2018

its a nice looking watch but coming on here calling people dicks isn't doing you any favours

Edited Oct 3, 2018
    morningtundra likes this.
  17. ConElPueblo Oct 3, 2018

I may be vastly overrating the knowhow of the "ready to drop 80K on an old watch" crowd, but why does the subjective description even matter? Would it be a harder sell if the description was "reasonable condition with little wear"? Surely anyone in the market for one of these knows what to look for and what constitutes a great vintage watch?

18. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 3, 2018

hi @ConElPueblo

it's pretty easy ... if u make such a statement u beg for being roasted. If it then happens that the watch also raises questions you are nearly lost.

as u can see in the comments not everyone is well trained regarding the special details of this model so it's necessary to clear some misunderstandings or misinterpretations up

Kmart, mr_yossarian, drhex and 5 others like this.
  19. jose75 Oct 3, 2018

::popcorn::

Wombat123 likes this.
  20. sgrossma Oct 3, 2018

OMG :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.