Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyrantlizardrex Oct 7, 2018

Pictures on the internet do not equal watches in hand.

The pictures of the watch in this thread are enough to prove that point. A change of lighting, an edit of image settings... a different watch.

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 7, 2018

I just want to see photos to substantiate the claim that all ultraman dials are different, and in what way.

I don’t care who posts them. I can’t because I have not seen them.

Without evidence we are going on is hearsay and that is confusing to me.
    I don’t understand. You are quite happy to spend time and effort to harvest photos from me and repost them why don’t you be kind to all of us and post some of the Ultra photos you find?

It would be illuminating to hear your comments - I am not trying to pick a fight it’s just you seem very well informed and it would be kind of you to make this small effort as you seem to want to remain involved?

Nathan1967, sdre, Foo2rama and 3 others like this.
  3. Vintagewtchzilla Oct 7, 2018

hmm so you say the MWO and omega heritage team information is hearsay ?
    i copy paste for u :
    OMEGA Museum’s team has recently noted that the dial (at least of 3 examples observed) of the Ultraman was different than those of the standard ST 145.012s. So we had a more careful look at our own Ultraman… and indeed the dial is different in color and finish: the Ultraman’s dial is pure black and has a satin varnish, while it is dark grey (anthracite) and the varnish is matte on standard ST 145.012s. A similar satin finish has already been observed on rare blue-grey dials of the same period.

Furthermore, we all noted that the indexes have always a peculiar “caramel” patina on the Ultraman models…

3 +MWO's + Kovpics+ mine ... just to name some

i am always open for a nice private conversation ...
    why should i do your homework ? are u too busy to search google or instagram ?

kov likes this.
  4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 7, 2018

[QUOTE="why should i do your homework ? are u too busy to search google or instagram ?[/QUOTE]

No need. Collectors come to him. :D
    28EA1529-F0CA-4978-8FD7-A2E18AB9F4A9.jpeg

viwa64, sdre, Toishome and 4 others like this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 7, 2018

6. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 7, 2018

I can add about the dials and how this research started. End of October 2016, #speedyTuesday event at Omega in Bienne, I was there with about 40 other people : collectors, bloggers, researchers, enthusiasts.

I did something I never do that day : I had my Ultraman on my left wrist / a regular 145.012 on the right.

During multiple breaks and networking opportunities, I got to talk to several people and put my wrists aside. Anthony and Greg (MWO authors) were very curious about the difference they could clearly notice on my wrists, so was also Petros Protopapas. They just had finished the chrono hand study detailed in the MWO2 book and the story about the Ultraman Speedmaster but the dial difference wasn’t something they noticed so far.

In the weeks following the #speedyTuesday event, they got several Ultraman watches together at the Omega museum and they confirmed my observations : all of them had this pure black dial with a satin lacquer finish. The story about the Ultraman Speedmaster Was updated according to the latest observations on multiple watches considered as Ultraman Speedmasters.

Later, I bought a second Ultraman Speedy. Guess what, it had exactly the same specific dial as well as all the other known properties.

@Spacefruit you should ask Petros or MWO guys to confirm what I wrote above if you want to update the last paragraphs of your Ultraman page with the current state of knowledge about the dials of this particular watch. ;)

I will try to make some macro shots of a regular dial and an Ultraman dial when I have some time, in the same light, to waive your doubts.

sdre, Pun, J-Luc and 6 others like this.
  7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 7, 2018

Is it really too much to ask for a photo side by side of two watches?

Foo2rama, nonuffinkbloke and Davidt like this.
  8. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 7, 2018

I will do. I will pick them on the next rotation. Patience...

Pun, J-Luc, Gefa and 3 others like this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 7, 2018

Is this a comparison, from your thread?

[​IMG]

But Macros will be eagerly awaited. Thank you!

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  10. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 7, 2018

Not my picture. Dont know where this come from.

OP didn’t manage to photograph his yellow lume - the dial difference is even harder to capture ;) we’ll get there...

gdupree likes this.
  11. Buck2466 Oct 7, 2018

The first thing that jumps out to me between these two, is the thicker print of the words Omega, Speedmaster, and Professional, as well as, the numbers on the sub dials of the Ultraman. The UM definitely has a bolder print.

thefish and Pun like this.
  12. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 7, 2018

I wrote this already a couple of times.

I bought my first Ultraman and ordered an extract for it before Petros shares the very first time about the Ultraman Speedmaster. Obviously I have got a regular extract mentioning a regular 145.012, that’s it.

Once the study about the orange hand happened, so could bring my Ultraman Speedmaster to the Museum, they did the due diligence and then issued another Extract mentioning the specific Orange hand.

For the second Ultraman, I went directly to the museum with the watch to show them the watch and get an extract including the Remark as it was also checking all the boxes.

I guess earlier some photographs of your watch would have been enough to get the Remark about the hand on the Extract but with all the mess happening about this particular watch lately, I believe now the museum team will only add that remark after they see the watch in steel and do due diligence, which is much better so imo, if you ask.

AdamS, Pun, simonsays and 2 others like this.
  13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 7, 2018

Now again, take my comments here as a friendly chat in the pub- not trying to diss anyone or start a fight. I do want to have a debate, but I am not trying to insult anyone so if anyone feels insulted you have mistaken my intentions.

I happen to think that is quite the wrong thing to do (issue an extract only on current inspection) and leads the museum down a dangerous path towards verification, as opposed to extracting information from the archives.

Either the watch has evidence it left the factory with an orange hand, or not. If that evidence is there, then it should go on the extract, even if that watch today has another hand.

It is irrelevant to the extract what the condition of the watch is today.

If the museum wants to see the watch today before issuing an extract - well then it’s a certification of correctness not an extract.

Left unchecked, the museum will find itself giving quite a different service to the one currently offered, and one that will leave them open to all sorts of problems and even legal issues.

airansun, Lonestar, Kmart and 20 others like this.
  14. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 7, 2018

I tend to agree with what you wrote above, William (the whole post, not only the part I quoted)...

...but if they did, what would the extracts of - for example - your Speedmasters with vintage Racing dials look like? :)

nonuffinkbloke and Spacefruit like this.
  15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 7, 2018

Well there is a question!

I do not know....but I have never had to present any of the Racing’s for inspection before extracts.

Do you know if that is also the case that the racing dials are simply marked in the archives as Special Equipment?

You see now how this whole extract thing can get out of hand, now that there is so much money involved.

I see now why Rolex keeps quiet.

(make no mistake I am very grateful the museum operates the extract system)

16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 7, 2018

Kmart, Puma, sdre and 8 others like this.
  17. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 7, 2018

Unfortunately not the case of all vintage Racing Speedmasters as far as I know ;)

18. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Oct 7, 2018

There is a lot to be said for 'piss taking' chaps! The therapeutic benefits for 'piss taker' and 'piss takee' are seriously underestimated!:thumbsup:

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 7, 2018

There is a lot of authoritative talk about special dials on the Ultraman in this thread and that may indeed be the case but I can’t help but notice that the extracts which talk about the orange hand mention nothing about the dial. Isn’t that a little odd? Perhaps the archive team aren’t yet convinced of this dial difference.

20. Basset Hound Oct 7, 2018

Spacefruit and nonuffinkbloke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.