Forums Latest Members
  1. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 20, 2019

........ EBay only deducts the Gst and collects if you use PayPal. Tell the seller, you pay 2 % less and you use bankwire. PayPal keeps 4% on international transactions, so win/win and no Gst collected in Australia. Gst Free up to A$ 1000. When you use bankwire, the seller has no chargeback worries and can declare something under $ 1000 and: Bingo. No Gst. Has worked every time.

felsby and JimInOz like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 20, 2019

OK, I’ll bite.

A watch is a “good” whether new or used. It’s all in the definitions under the law. Many jurisdictions exempt goods sold by occasional sellers from GST or sales taxes. Most of the sellers in the private sales forum probably qualify for this exemption (if it exists in their area).

However, brick and mortar retail has been fighting a constant battle with internet sellers such as Amazon, Wayfair and eBay, who took advantage of the fact that they routinely sold goods across state and national borders that exempted them from collecting GST and sales tax from purchasers under the law.

Amazon threw in the towel a few years ago when they joined the brick and mortar world. Wayfair lost a Supreme Court case in the US and now has to collect sales taxes here.

eBay has consistently claimed that they are not sellers of goods, they merely facilitate transactions. However, once they got into the the logistics business via this “Global Shipping Program(me)”, that argument lost credibility. They are now selling both goods (supplies) and services (handling and delivery), so they have partially given in to world governments in order to continue to be able to ship pretty much anything world wide.

Since the definition of a good or a service is determined under your law, by your elected officials, the only way to change that is to lobby these officials for a change in the law.

My rant is over now.
    gatorcpa

watchyouwant and JimInOz like this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 20, 2019

And I’m sure that is legal in Australia. ;)
    gatorcpa

watchyouwant likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 20, 2019

I've never been asked by a third party insurer to under-declare an item. I would be interested to know what insurer you have used that has asked this?

Certainly not using the specific word "watch" is something that is done frequently, so "precision instrument" is what is in the description, but the tariff codes will still reflect what it actually is on the commercial invoice.

5. ConElPueblo Aug 21, 2019

6. sxl2004 Aug 21, 2019

My recommendation to him will be Northern Juetland being the better buy. Plenty of great Aquavit and rumored tons of great vintage watches.
    :):whistling:

ConElPueblo, watchyouwant and Esmarch like this.
  7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 21, 2019

I will be in Copenhagen in 2 weeks time. I would like to start a gofundme account and use the proceeds to buy Greenland. Will rename it Omegaland. Who is in?

8. paddymoran Sep 24, 2021

Definitely agree, declare low to avoid unwanted attention.

watchyouwant likes this.