Dressy Strap Recommendations ?

Hi there,

This stylish and classic IWC with unusual lug design will soon come over my way from @No Mercy 😀
While waiting for it, I'm starting my search for an additional strap (18mm lug width).
Capture d’écran 2022-11-12 à 19.45.28.png
The current one is nice but I'd like to add some more options to dress it up.

Would you have any recommendation to share with me ? with pictures please 😀

I've already got many straps - mainly for 60/70s Chronos or for 'sporty' dress watches 40s/50s for which I went 'vintage style' buying from GLC / Torre / Molequin / Joseph Bonnie (which I can all recommend as strap makers). Though I'd like this time to open my mind to some alternatives.

I don't wear suits anymore, the best I do those days is a dress shirt and a jacket. Though I'm perfectly fine with wearing a dress watch with a simple shirt and jeans.

I'm currently considering : full stitched, tone on tone, non padded (Don't like that so much), quick release. Could be exotic leather...
Genteel comes to my mind but I'm unsure on which way to go. Black saffiano / Aligator / Ostrich ... ?

Well let's see what you have in mind ? or what you would do ?

Thanks @Spruce for the recommendation.

(Actually that's fun to talk about dressy watches as I am now watching the rugby game between France & South Africa, quite ROUGH indeed, 4 concussions protocols in the 1st period and 3 among the French players🤦)

I had a similar IWC to yours half a dozen years ago (sadly sold it) but in solid gold, so these straps may not work in SS.
This one is an American Emu from memory (still have a couple if you are interested).
IMG_4089.JPG
DSC04734.JPG
And this one in a plain black calf. I don't usually like black because it's so stark, but when you have a beautiful dial the eye is drawn to it immediately and not to the strap.
DSC04867.JPG

Begging for a light colored pig skin.

Well I do have that in stock (From Torre) 👍, using it right now with a GF Constellation Pie pan. I'll definitely try that when it's here.

Recently I am appreciating the interesting textures on some of the ostrich leg straps. If you want something classic and dressy, teju lizard is worth a look.

I had a similar IWC to yours half a dozen years ago (sadly sold it) but in solid gold, so these straps may not work in SS.
This one is an American Emu from memory (still have a couple if you are interested).
IMG_4089.JPG
DSC04734.JPG
And this one in a plain black calf. I don't usually like black because it's so stark, but when you have a beautiful dial the eye is drawn to it immediately and not to the strap.
DSC04867.JPG

Yes plain black could be interesting. That's why I was thinking about Genteel either in black safiano, or ostrich.
Never tried Emu. I'll PM you later on tomorrow. Thanks.

Recently I am appreciating the interesting textures on some of the ostrich leg straps. If you want something classic and dressy, teju lizard is worth a look.
Yes. Ostrich leg straps are definitely attractive (I was thinking about a 2 stitch one for another watch).
Do you have any brand / source recommended for Teju ?

Yes. Ostrich leg straps are definitely attractive (I was thinking about a 2 stitch one for another watch).
Do you have any brand / source recommended for Teju ?

I know it doesn't sound very upscale, but I have a couple of Hadley Roma teju straps that are quite nice.

Another thing I thought of - black straps to my eye immediately make the watch seem more formal, which may be what you want. And on vintage watches a nice taper on the strap really gives a "vintage" feel.

Anteater

Lizard

Pigskin

Ostrich (very dark green)

Crocodile (very dark navy blue)

IMG_0553.jpg IMG_0554.jpg IMG_0555.jpg IMG_0556.jpg IMG_0557.jpg

Surprised that nobody's mentioned chevre... I found it a great dressy match for vintage.

PSX_20200618_205210.jpg

I think you are onto something. This was the first pig skin strap I ever had and I fell in love with it.
image_54d9ec6b-e3c4-41b9-9d9d-abbed5c26a36.jpg

@YYTIN That is one great looking watch. I am jealous.

IWC is very underrated in my opinion. Beautiful watches with outstanding build quality.

IWC-01-25-22.jpg

Aligator.jpg

Stingray.jpg

Square-Monaco.jpg

Thanks a lot to you all.
I now have a lot of options to consider 😉.

From colors : light brown, dark blue & green, black.
To leather origins : emu, ostrich legs, teju lizard, crocodile, pig & goat even anteater.

I've noted some affordable options (that have the advantage of letting me buying more than one additional strap : Rios and Hadley Roma).

I do have already a few at home (pig skin and some deer skin leather) I should try when it arrives.

For very nicely finished products, supple quality leather comfortable to wear which brand/source will you use ?
I’m still thinking about trying genteel but I wonder if you have other recommendations.

I will post the watch and strap combos when I got them.

Thanks again !

Between Rios and Hadley Roma, I’ve used both and I’d go with Rios. Better quality and also a very liberal return/exchange policy. My personal favorites are their ostrich and teju lizard straps.

Between Rios and Hadley Roma, I’ve used both and I’d go with Rios.
I slightly favor HR because I like the leather they use in the interior lining better. But I think both work well for that price point, not disagreeing with Greg at all I think both are similar and boil down to personal preference is my point.

Just to give you more to consider in the world of lizard; here is Teju vs Java. Teju, brown, is a more uneven texture vs the more uniform skin of the Java, black. I like the Java for the dress watch look but Teju is a bit more interesting pattern IMO.
77516AEC-6114-4FE2-A63E-5BF28A8F04BC.jpeg 32C7F97A-CDC3-4481-B222-D9ECC20B3641.jpeg
sorry the Teju seems ornery today, not really flipping anyone the bird 😉