Forums Latest Members

Does a BLANK Warranty Card devalue a watch?

1. michel7752 Apr 29, 2021

I am considering a Speedmaster model which was sold exclusivey in Japan about twenty years ago. The watch comes with box, instructions manual and the original - but comletely blank - warranty card. Apparently, this can be found often with watches that were sold in Japan.
    The watch also comes with the correct original hang tag where the model and serial number should be engraved. The shop is 100% legit, I have zero doubts.
    I am also aware of the "Extract of the archives" which I can ask from Omega.

The watch costs more than 10.000 $. My question is: Does a completely blank warranty card devalue the watch? If yes, any idea how much?

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 29, 2021

Opinions may vary but I think no it doesn't lower the value. It can be annoying as you don't know exactly how old the watch is but unlike a missing box or papers, it doesn't AFAIK have a material negative effect. One thing to be wary of though is whether the set really is as complete as it seems. It is quite easy to put together a collection of bits with a blank card and claim full set, if the card is printed with the serial and just not filled in though I would have no concerns.

Bmws likes this.
  3. wsfarrell Apr 29, 2021

Not sure about Speedmasters, but in Rolex Land a blank warranty card is highly desirable. It lets the buyer add their own name and pretend they are the first to own this watch that has gone through a couple of flippers.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 29, 2021

For a 20 year old watch it really won't be an issue. It is not valid since it is long past the warranty term. And even if one could argue that is would show the purchase date that is often not the case as many resellers provide them with the date blank so you can write one in yourself when there is an issue so it looks like you are still within the warranty period. So to me you can never trust the date, and the original sale receipt would be the key document if I really wanted the documented history.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 29, 2021

It might be an issue if it’s a mitsuoka... as that would smell fishy. Otherwise if it has the serial and reference printed on it there is zero difference if it’s filled out.

if it’s completely blank with not even the model number it’s worthless.

6. Evitzee Apr 29, 2021

^^^ As long as the serial number and reference number is on the card it's fine and doesn't affect the value either way. If it's completely blank with no numbers on it it isn't worth anything and was probably bought on the open market.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. befobe Apr 29, 2021

As previously said: it can be a serious pb if we talk here about a Mitsu.
    So, let's stop empty talks: pic!-ture! pic!-ture! pic!-ture!

TimeODanaos and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Apr 29, 2021

If you like the watch buy it. Not sure about the warranty card and value. Only you should make that decision, unless you are planning to flip it for profit:cautious:.

9. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 30, 2021

In the Speedmaster world imho it simply doesn’t add any value. Meaning the watch is worth a watch, not a set.

How would it devalue the watch itself?

10. redzer007 Apr 30, 2021

If it's a Mitsukosi it's only a Mitsukosi if it was sold there, and if it was then it would have a card stamped by the store. And therefore yes, then it matters.

Otherwise, I'm broadly in agreement would not lose any sleep over blank warranty card

Foo2rama and padders like this.
  11. michel7752 Apr 30, 2021

Thanks for all your considerations. It is not a Mitsokoshi, only a Speedmaster with Japan Racing dial. This can be confirmed by an OMEGA extract of the archives anytime.
    From your input I conclude that a completely blank warranty (no reference number, no serial number, no date, no seller's stamp, nothing on it) will not affect the value of the watch (or very little).

befobe likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 30, 2021

No. What most are saying is that a card printed with the serial and model number but otherwise not filled in has no effect, a blank card with no watch details has no value at all really since it is so easy to add and means that it is in effect a watch without papers and should be valued as such. On a rarity, I'd be back maybe 10% on a loose watch like that with no warranty card vs one with a verifiable card, but it varies by model, a Snoopy with no papers would be suffer a much bigger % reduction in value vs a full set than say a std Moonwatch.

Edited Apr 30, 2021
  13. mrchen Apr 30, 2021

Generally this is not a problem. In fact back in the days when retailers still wrote in the date with a pen/marker, leaving the warranty card blank used to be a bargaining chip as an unethical way of extending your watch's warranty by a few years.

The main issue I can think of would be a new watch that's been sitting in a jewelry store window for 5 years and likely requires a service before anyone has even bought it, and then the retailer marks the warranty card as a current year production/ sale. But considering your watch is already 20 years past it's production run that hardly matters.