Forums Latest Members

Will Adding Tape To Warranty Card Void Warranty On Speedmaster?

1. journeyforce May 3, 2021

Last week I bought a nice condition Speedmaster Racing. i figured i would give the Speedmaster line another chance after my short lived ownership of a Speedy Pro. (fat fingers plus crown guard kept me from easily winding it so I sold it and bought that Dominos Pizza Rolex from this forum)

The watch came from Topper Jewelers (like my Speedy Pro) and came with a 1 year Topper Warranty. It also comes with a good amount of the original warranty as it was originally purchased in 2019.

The warranty card was stamped by Govberg's. However instead of the card having the serial and reference numbers being printed (stamped) on the card, the card had the numbers filled in with a marker.

(Now before some folks jump in and try to state there is trickery involved and that these are fake cards because Omega stamps the numbers (like I read in some older threads), the watch came from Topper's pre owned collection where they would have verified the info and I also contacted Govberg and asked them about it. They confirmed the watch in question was sold new by them. They also explained it was one of the last of that model that they were sent and that the warranty card went missing so they filled out a blank one and stamped it. So this card is legit)

My question is will adding tape to the card void the warranty because it falls under making a change to the card? The reason i want to do this is because the marker is starting to smudge on the date area and I figure tape will preserve it (You have to do this on Casio G-Shock cards because they all smudge)

Or does it even matter as long as they can read the serial number? and that Omega can simply run the serial number and check the AD(Govberg) and be able to verify the date the warranty starts and ends?

This watch is very nice and wears well on my wrist. I have the feeling I am going to have this watch for a good while

Here is a pic of the card with the serial number MS Paint blurred

Thanks

Speedy card serial blocked.jpg

2. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 3, 2021

Here was my 2020 speedy pro with written in warranty card. (Sold it last year and this image was from my listing)
    IMG_0024.JPG

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 3, 2021

Just put it in an envelope and put it away.
    It's not like you need to refer to it every time you put your watch on.

hronists, Foo2rama and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  4. Donn Chambers May 3, 2021

I have no idea if tape will void the warranty, but if you don’t handle the card, why would it smudge?

I put mine away and forget about them. Doesn’t seem like you’d need to do anything to avoid smudging the ink in that case.

5. Evitzee May 3, 2021

I bought a CK2998 blue panda from an AD in the Caribbean and they filled in the Ref number and Watch Serial Number in with a marker on the warranty card. For some reason some retailers in some markets get cards like this where they fill in the numbers upon sale. No big deal. Putting tape over the numbers shouldn't invalidate the warranty.

6. Amg786s May 4, 2021

Would that actually void the warranty? maybe slip it into a plastic wallet or something.

7. Traveler May 4, 2021

Haha

8. AngelDeVille May 4, 2021

Is the card under warranty?

9. andymartin045 May 5, 2021

Or go over the numbers in permanent pen?

10. LuckyLes May 5, 2021

What about getting it laminated, that will protect it permanently and can be removed without damaging the printing.

11. Evitzee May 5, 2021

I scan all my warranty cards and paperwork.

Bmws likes this.
  12. Jblaze36wv May 8, 2021

Why not just put it in a plastic card sleeve? This way it can easily be taken out if ever needed but it should be legible even within the sleeve.