Forums Latest Members

How much does a scratch devalue a vintage watch

1. jsaen Mar 27, 2019

I’m (trying to) selling a vintage seiko diver from the 1960s. It has some scratches on the case. There is also a dent on the case that I didn’t mention (because I didn’t notice, I’m not the most observant) but there is a picture that shows the dent.

The buyer is upset because I didn’t mention it in the text and is asking for money back.

I don’t know how to value the dent. He’s claiming between 5-50 depending on how much it will cost to fix it

Any advice or previous experience?

The dent is right on the edge in this picture.
    9C6A620C-C1FD-4F2C-B140-5D4E0E172DE5.jpeg

STANDY likes this.
  2. redpcar Mar 27, 2019

If I have an unhappy buyer, I always refund the money in full. No negotiations. My goal is just to get it back in one piece. Sell it again and give full disclosure of everything. You'll probably do better :)

warrydog, S.H., kkt and 21 others like this.
  3. BenBagbag Mar 27, 2019

Each MM of scratch = $6. It's an industry standard.

Just kidding. You're dealing with a buyer who is hung up on things he could have seen and things you didn't tell him. For better or for worse, it's not worth it for you to get negative feedback. If I were you, I'd ask him what he would be happy to pay, and if you could stand letting go of it for that price then let the guy keep it. If not, just pay for return shipping and relist it with a bit more of a comprehensive description.

Edit: So pretty much what @redpcar said! :thumbsup:

4. boogedyboo Mar 27, 2019

It is common to have scratches on a vintage watch case or crystal. However, it depends on how the watch was described and how bad the scratches are. Deep scratches and dents/dings should always be highlighted by the buyer because these can't be easily fixed whereas light scratches can be polished out.

I normally takes photos of the watch from all angles in case I miss anything out. That dent in the photo seems quite obvious, both buyer and seller should have picked up on it. How did you describe the watch?

jsaen and MTROIS like this.
  5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 27, 2019

"fix it"?

jsaen likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 27, 2019

Vintage tool watch with a dent you can hardly notice :eek:

Is he a member here ? ( before I comment further :whistling: )

Edit : Just looked at your FS add and it’s clearly visible. Nothing to be refunded in my book

Faz, Radiumpassion, lando and 5 others like this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 27, 2019

Get your watch back and give a refund.

That is complete bullshit. Buyer is trying to play you.

Total JV move from the buyer.

rbob99, R3D9, Spacefruit and 10 others like this.
  8. Gunsmoke375 Mar 27, 2019

Please, please do not have anyone work on this watch! This is a Seiko 6159-7001 that was made (I think ) for one year only in 1969. It is super valuable and very sought after. This buyer is having "buyers remorse" or either he is not very knowledgeable about vintage Seiko watches. Send him his money and get your watch back ASAP. Your ad had some really nice pictures and showed great detail. Like I said, get it back and relist it. That's a really nice watch and it belongs in someone's collection who will appreciate its value and rarity...along with the "dent"!

9. cristos71 Mar 28, 2019

Totally agree you shouldn't give a discount for the 'dent'. It was clearly visible in the pictures and doesn't detract from the aesthetic of the watch at all being on the bottom side of the case.

jsaen, rincondeltiempo and STANDY like this.
  10. jsaen Mar 28, 2019

thanks everybody. I do not enjoy the selling part of this habbit/hobby and want to get it over with, but I don't want to get ripped off. And I agree, it's a great watch. I am happy with it's condition, I just have too many watches.

11. jsaen Mar 28, 2019

yeah, I didn't know what to do with that either. I'm not sure if that's what he intends or is using it to demonstrate how much value the dent is worth.

12. jsaen Mar 28, 2019

This is interesting. The truth is, I missed describing it. I probably noticed it at some point, but I don't always remember details. I did take pictures that demonstrate it, and another deeper scratch on the back, to do exactly what you said, in case i missed something.

13. rkman11 Mar 28, 2019

Agree with what everyone else is saying. This buyer is either trying to play you, or is not very knowledgeable about vintage. Either way, get your watch back, give a refund, and sell to someone who will appreciate it for its vintage beauty, and the fact that each scratch equals history.

R3D9, Waxtactic and jsaen like this.
  14. Waxtactic Mar 28, 2019

Dude, I have noticed your ad and have lusted after this as a Seiko collector. I echo Gunsmokes sentiment, dont have the watch worked on, somebody will come along and grab it for the proper price and give it a loving home. Take it back, full refund, no negotiations on price and repost. Best of luck...and I'll be sure to drool over it some more when it's reposted. Good luck.

jsaen likes this.
  15. Wryfox Mar 30, 2019

I have learned to state in a listing that pictures are part of the description. I am not going to list every defect and not going to play the common scam where someone is not happy and is looking for a bump refund (some small token for their surprise discovery of a defect). This is unfortunately very common with large cheaper items and high shipping costs. Scammers know you won't pay for return shipping, and hope for the bump.

This just happened again a few weeks ago. Sold a 50yr old clock that was running but needed service. Sold it as such. Buyer complained it doesn't run well. Duh. Would have been expensive to return given its price. Told them to pound sand and I would file a complaint to ebay on them if they didn't let it go. Fortunately that worked.

16. pweingarten Mar 30, 2019

I agree....this sounds like buyer's remorse to me. Very common. Send his money back, get the watch back and sell it for more next time. That's the best revenge!

Dan S likes this.
  17. CaptainWinsor Mar 30, 2019

Each MM of scratch = $6. It's an industry standard. :D

BenBagbag likes this.
  18. pweingarten Mar 30, 2019

LOL. I wouldn't even try to negotiate unless you really don't want to bother re-selling the watch.

19. Dan S Mar 30, 2019

I agree with others that it would be logical simply to take a return and give a refund. However, there are some odd comments in the original post that I don't understand.

- Why does the thread title mention a "scratch" when in fact the issue is a sizable dent? Not the same thing.
    - The OP says that the buyer is "claiming between 5-50". Does this mean $5-$50 USD? Is all of this hand-wringing about less than $50?

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 30, 2019

Take it back, give full refund on return, and never speak to them again.

They would be dead to me after behaving like this.

So far, I have two deaders on my books.

Until this thread, I never thought about them and thats the result I wanted.

Edit: In both cases I sold the watch for more, even after paying for shipping. A tip - dont argue about shipping, suck it up and get the watch back safe.