Did I miss something? 2998-2 base 1000 bezel Speedy at 11k...

No, WE missed something.

But it helps to soften the blow to remember that there are two sides to every sale. Someone is happy and someone not so much.

I guess the low estimate was to attract bidders but it just made the starting bid very low and not so many were following...

Did I miss something?

Just a 2998-2 for 11k, could have been much worse 馃榿

Nevermind, it has a replacement crown, it's trash. *weeps*

When I saw the title I thought "Well that's about the right price for a BASE 1000 bezel..." BUT THAT WAS FOR THE WHOLE WATCH?!?!

Either the whole bottom just fell out of the market, or this one was totally under the radar. Like to the point where I have to wonder who at Christies totally dropped the ball on advertising this at all.

This was what? At least $15,000 under market? At the very least?

The Davidoff brothers have bought it...
It's for sale on their site for CHF45000.

Edited:

The Davidoff brothers have bought it...
It's for sale on their site for CHF45000.

Easy money. How could it fly under radar like that?

Does that 馃榿 imply something @michael e ?????

No, I wish it did. I just wanted to make a pretty pattern with the 馃槻s from previous replies. That is all. I got enjoyment out of it.
Yep, pretty slow day today 馃憤

If that watch really went for that price I would be pretty F-ing furious if I was the consignor, surely it can't be right? The auction was a few months ago.
Edited:

Easy money. How could it fly under radar like that?
It may have changed hands in between. Maybe some lucky guy got a bargain and sold it to the DB with a comfortable margin
It is really astonishing for Christie鈥檚 to let such a watch be advertised at such an estimate, especially given their history/database of previously sold watches. This is a real lack of professionalism towards the seller. Just because the crystal was full of scratches.
Message towards sellers: if you plan to sell a watch (with a crisp dial/hands) with Christie鈥檚, buy some polywatch and make sure your watch crystal is as clean as possible

People seem to be getting upset over what to me is a very encouraging sign: good deals CAN still be had out there, even in the age of the internet. I admit it鈥檚 hard not to be jealous but once you get past that....

People seem to be getting upset over what to me is a very encouraging sign: good deals CAN still be had out there, even in the age of the internet. I admit it鈥檚 hard not to be jealous but once you get past that....
My initial objective had nothing to do with jealousy but just to understand if I missed something on this watch (something wrong with it that I could not see). Apart from lower pusher and worn crown the visible parts of the watch seemed quite good, thus my astonishment.
Good deals can still be had for sure at local auctions or through private deal but we are talking about Christie's, which are meant to be worldwide renowned "professionals" 馃槖

I missed it because I was not looking in July of 2020. Yes, whoever bought the watch did get a great deal... no question. But, how much?
If you use Speedmaster101's price chart a 2998-2 head with a base 1000 bezel in fair condition is worth 18k, and in good condition it's worth 25,000K. I don't see the watch as in very good condition, 45K,... maybe others do? Tropical dial... I don't know. IMO you are looking at a watch worth somewhere between 18 and 25K, closer to 18K. Buyer, assuming he/she paid for shipping, sales tax, VAT, customs, probably spent closer to 13K+... still a phenomenal deal...lucky him.

Where were you guys? I mean it's Christies, not some unknown auction house in the middle of nowhere, but Geneva.

Where were you guys? I mean it's Christies, not some unknown auction house in the middle of nowhere, but Geneva.
This was the worst auction that has taken place during COVID. If I recall correctly, they held it on a Monday and didn't really advertise it effectively leading up. I had planned to bid and then completely forgot about it, as many, many others did (this includes a couple prominent dealers). The Speedy posted here was a freakin' steal and I almost wept when I realized how dumb I had been to forget about it.

Also, FWIW - Davidoff Bros didn't buy it at auction. Someone else did and then has since sold it to them.