Forums Latest Members

DHL lost the package - no compensation they say

1. vacheroyale Jan 7, 2020

just for the future, FEDEX is 'the' most reliable shipping company for sure. it does cost more than the others, but is very reliable my any means. others they do cost less, but you pay what you get . maybe next time
    is a good was only a bracelet !!

kov likes this.
  2. CaptainWinsor Jan 7, 2020

H
    I understand that but it doesn’t make it right. It’s just a scam

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2020

Is it? What would be the cost to hop on a plane, fly to another country, and hand deliver the package? I'm sure it's much more than what DHL is charging, so unless you are going to do that for everything you ship, I don't know what the alternative is.

Feel free to start a shipping company that charges the same rates as these others do, doesn't offer insurance, but still pays for any loss or damage no matter the value of the package. I doubt you would stay in business very long...

DManzaluni likes this.
  4. Dan S Jan 7, 2020

I've been thinking that Amazon will eventually offer shipping services to third parties. It will be interesting to see how they attempt to disrupt the industry.

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 7, 2020

disagree.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 7, 2020

The scam is on the seller, not you. However, because you made a transaction without protecting yourself, your seller is making his problem yours.

Not someone I would want to buy from.
    gatorcpa

kov likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2020

Not the OP...

8. Walrus Jan 7, 2020

Definitely. That is in the works as we speak. It will be done. What amazon has done so far has already been a kick in the ass for fedex. Amazon stock is like an etf, cloud services, healthcare, data mining etc. add shipping to the list soon

9. Kbjohn Jan 7, 2020

I’ve been waiting 2 1/2 months for FedEx to return a parcel to me. Mistakes can and do happen with all of these couriers. Anyone buying/selling/posting watches on a semi regular basis will sleep a lot better with a parcelpro account.

10. CaptainWinsor Jan 7, 2020

I’m entitled to my opinion. Sorry you don’t agree. So people should buy insurance if they send you a watch to repair just in case you screw it up?

Edited Jan 7, 2020
    Walrus likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2020

I’m not sorry. I think the idea that this is a “scam” is quite ridiculous.

We can agree to disagree...

DManzaluni, Joe_A and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 7, 2020

So tell me this: how is a shipping company supposed to know what is being shipped has monetary value? You bring them something all boxed up, labelled, etc., and pay the shipping fee. You do not indicate a value, and if shipped abroad do not provide customs paperwork for import tax purposes. And then the shipper loses the package. Please tell me how they are to know it was a $6,500 watch, vs a letter to Aunt Mabel? And how/ why they are liable for the value of the item, when there is no proof there was anything of monetary value shipped?

I suspect the shipping charge can be refunded if the seller presses a little more, but no shipping company in their right mind would provide monetary compensation for an item that was not declared to have value or to warrant shipping insurance? The insurance payouts get funded by shippers purchasing insurance. Thus in effect the shipper charges more money for shipping things of value. Try to beat the system to save a few bucks and you will likely get burned at some point. I would assume it was a calculated risk by the seller, and unless it was discussed with you the seller is the one that should be paying you. And DHL should refund the shipping charge to the seller.

kov and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 7, 2020

Ding!
    gatorcpa

heccsat and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  14. base615 Jan 7, 2020

Just because you have insurance, it doesn't mean you're in the clear.

A long time ago I paid for insurance for a camera lens I sold on eBay. From memory, the insurance far surpassed the shipping costs at an extra $80. I needed to claim when the lens turned up broken from very obvious shipping damage despite being perfectly packed, and initially had the claim refused. I had photos from the eBay listing taken only about a week before it was sent and they still claimed I had no firm proof that it wasn't put in the box damaged. The box and polystyrene inside was badly damaged.

Eventually I got it sorted but I reckon dealing with it knocked a few years off my life. I'm a reasonably decent person but I was getting to the point where I was going to threaten physical violence. I can see people less willing or able to fight than me backing down.

Absolute crooks.

kkt likes this.
  15. Walrus Jan 7, 2020

The usps includes a small amount of insurance on some priority parcels. Of course not 6k for a watch but at least they kick in something. Granted saying it’s “free” is a stretch I think it is reasonable these multi billion dollar corporations offer some amount of insurance on a parcel. It shows they stand behind their service.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 7, 2020

You paid for something, you should get it. Is the seller refunding you ? Or at least willing to take a portion of the loss.

heccsat likes this.
  17. new_heuer Jan 8, 2020

OP have you received a refund from the seller? If not please name the seller

18. Risto Jan 8, 2020

Yes, the seller has refunded me now.
    Perhaps I could say it was his fault not buying insurance and declaring real value. My fault was I didn't ask that.

Recently I sent a watch to another country and because the buyer didn't want to pay for insurance I did not insure the package.
    The value was about 500€.
    Now, if it would have got lost... I see that the buyer took the risk and I don't refund.

heccsat and new_heuer like this.
  19. new_heuer Jan 8, 2020

Glad the seller has refunded you

Risto likes this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 8, 2020

Sorry that you didn’t receive what you purchased, but at least you were made whole financially.

IMO, you took a big risk sending that package internationally without insurance regardless of your agreement with the buyer.

There’s a good reason why it is so difficult to get the proper insurance for watch and other jewelry sent via mail or private courier. @Archer is right, maybe for some items it would be better to fly over for delivery. Oh, but I forgot, there’s that little issue of customs declarations.

Reading this thread also reminds me why many US sellers on eBay refuse to ship internationally. USPS is good when it comes to tracking and delivery, even on items sent via first class mail.
    gatorcpa

Risto likes this.