Forums Latest Members

DHL lost the package - no compensation they say

1. vicsdca Jan 7, 2020

I only trust FedEx for valuable items. Far more reliable than DHL and UPS.

kov likes this.
  2. new_heuer Jan 7, 2020

This is how I see it.

Larry S likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 7, 2020

I don’t think DHL is all that bad although I prefer FedEx. Bigger issue is that the seller shipped uninsured and during the holidays. Not equivalent but I ordered a vacuum crevice tool on Amazon in early December. Disappeared in the UPS system, so I cancelled the order, got a refund, bought locally and it showed up last Friday. I bet this package turns up as well.

4. Risto Jan 7, 2020

No, we did not talk about insurance or declaring the value. I didn't even think about it that I should mention these obvious details.
    I won't do that mistake again.
    I learned about these details later when the matter arose.

I guess the bottom line is that it's all my fault not being precise about the shipping details.
    But, the bad guy in this story is still DHL in my eyes. They lost the package. Insured or not. They don't care.

5. new_heuer Jan 7, 2020

If you were not aware the seller wouldn’t insure the package then in my opinion the seller is responsible and should refund you in full. What has the seller said so far with regards to a resolution?

6. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 7, 2020

If they lost that package, be sure the one who booked the shipping will get refund.

You should at least claim that refund from the seller as well. If I were in the same situation, I'd claim full refund from the seller.
    If the guy never mentioned anything about the way he ships and insures, it's his problem if you do not get the goods you've paid for. He then can solve his case with the transporter...

7. Dan S Jan 7, 2020

Seller should refund, by deciding not to insure via the shipper he was de facto self-insuring.

Kmart, kkt, shishy and 7 others like this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 7, 2020

Credit cards, people. ::facepalm2::

Seller gets good funds and buyers get protection from lost packages. Split the costs.

If the seller doesn't want to pay for insured shipping, then it's on them. Cost of doing business.
    gatorcpa

Larry S likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 7, 2020

Not in my view - it's not that DHL doesn't care, but they didn't determine that the package was not worth insuring - that's up to the sender.

I'm sure any carrier gets loads of packages that they ship where some have valuable items inside, and some do not. It's up to the sender to decide if the item getting lost (which is possible with any carrier) is worth insuring against. That's why insurance exists.

If the sender didn't insure it, and didn't even discuss with you prior to shipment, then I agree that he has self-insured, and owes you a refund. Having said that to buy an item from someone and not even discuss if the item would be insured or not is unusual in my view..

Kmart, Syrte, Alpha and 5 others like this.
  10. CaptainWinsor Jan 7, 2020

A total joke IMO. DHL loses package but has absolutely no responsibility? Why should you or anyone need to buy insurance? It’s not your fault. It’s theirs. I hate the way these companies charge for a service don’t provide it and turn around and tell you it’s not our problem. The other thing is, with technology, how do you lose something that has a bar code? You should know where it is at all time. I’m with you on this one

Risto likes this.
  11. CaptainWinsor Jan 7, 2020

^^^I guess the bottom line is that it's all my fault not being precise about the shipping details.
    But, the bad guy in this story is still DHL in my eyes. They lost the package. Insured or not. They don't care.

They don’t because they know they have no responsibility. Any uninsured package could be opened and stolen by DHL and you can’t touch them. ‘’It’s egregious, preposterous, OUTragious!! ‘’ -Jackie Chiles-

one more thing. How do you quote with the grey box?

12. w154 Jan 7, 2020

They’re a business. They need systems in place to mitigate losses from theft etc. They could provide cover for all packages and the base cost would rise for everyone, or they can make insurance optional so the customer can choose. I prefer the latter.

13. CaptainWinsor Jan 7, 2020

upload_2020-1-7_13-5-32.gif

Radiumpassion, West Slope and Walrus like this.
  14. Shabbaz Jan 7, 2020

Not that it is really a issue here but from a legal point of view it's even the question if the seller is obligated to a refund. What i understand it was a private sale where both parties did'nt make agreements about shipping. In that case you could argue the seller, as a private seller, is'nt responsible for insured shipment. It would be different if it was a commercial seller or if he advertised in the add that shipment was included. In any other case you could argue the buyer is responsible for correct shipment. After all, after the sale was done it was his to decide how the the shipment should be handled. So be careful when buying from private sellers on the internet. At least in Dutch law there is a disagreement among legal aid helpers who's responsible for shipment.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 7, 2020

Use the word "quote" surrounded by "[ ]". To end the quote, use "/quote" surrounded by "[ ]".

If I try to show you any other way, it will just give you the grey box.

To quote a specific portion of another members post, highlight the portion you want to quote and click the "Reply" tab that appears below the highlighted text. That will put that member's name in the grey box as you see above.
    gatorcpa

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 7, 2020

Which is why we use a credit card or we don't do business!
    gatorcpa

subregister and Njnjcfp88 like this.
  17. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 7, 2020

If it had value it should have been insured. Unless a conscious decision was made not to insure it. Period.

18. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Jan 7, 2020

This. I ship everything in serious size boxes...

STANDY likes this.
  19. CaptainWinsor Jan 7, 2020

I hire someone to come to my house and do a repair. They do a bad job they come back and fix it. It’s the same thing.

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 7, 2020

I'm afraid it isn't. "Someone comes to your house" presumes that the repair service is being performed in a particular jurisdiction and would be subject to whatever consumer protection laws exist where you live, regardless of where the repairman lives.

The laws covering international shipping of goods are far more complex, not to mention the contracts between the courier and their customer (the seller). The couriers tend to have a lot of "weasel" language in the their agreements that allow them a lot of latitude when items aren't delivered or have customs issues. The amount of latitude allowed in their agreements likely varies from country to country based on what liabilities the law in any country will allow them to avoid.

Couple this with the tendency of some sellers to not properly declare goods to avoid customs issues and you have a real mess.

This is why you have to protect yourself and not rely on someone else when doing business internationally.
    gatorcpa