Debating between these two - 1st vintage purchase

Hello...found these two and both look interesting and looking for anyone's thoughts on either regarding condition, collectability, gold vs. SS, etec. Thanks in advance

1957 Omega GX6558 14K Solid Gold with Cal 500 - all original, scratch at 3 is on the crystal not dial, small stain near swiss made on the dial. Question on the Call 500 stamp on the movement - I have seen it in other locations, but this one looks different. Waffle dial - are they as collectable as smooth dials?

1972 Omega Constellation 158.0057 Gerald Genta C-case - white gold fluted bezel - all original and great condition. Cheaper so easier for me to take the plunge.

They’re two very very different watches.

One is a typical 50’s in gold while the other is typical 70’s in steel.

Perhaps rather than choosing between what’s easily available to you, more research is needed to pin down your preferences and taste?

Both are unique in their own right, assuming both are for wearing, I have to agree with Davidt.

I agree. Most people (including me) will have a STRONG preference between the two based on personal taste and how they play to use/wear the watch. But my own preference is really not relevant.

Nailing my colours to the mast, and being the owner of both types of watch, my journey has taken me from undying love for the former to a convert to the second.

Apart from the Constellation being a chronometer, I reckon it will hold its value better and be more wearable - both smart and casual.

I also find the c-case extremely comfortable on my wrist

I’m actually feeling the constellation a bit more. The better durability and water resistance makes it a more dependable choice as a daily wearer.

The Jonelle cased lyre lug model in interesting. That looks like a domestic version of a Connie 2852 case so maybe Normal Morris or whoever used the same cases for a cheaper uncertified 17J 500 calibre version without sub branding. There is AFAIK no Swiss equivalent to that watch.

And, although not necessarily to everyone’s taste, the Connie is, arguably, an iconic classic

Thanks for the input and I agree about nailing my preferences down as they are very different from each other. This would be for light wearing, and the Constellation connects with me more and would suit my lifestyle better. Fits more with my preferences and taste for sure. I don't have or wear gold watches at this point, but at some point I want to dive in.

As a C-Case enthusiast, go for the 14K one, a legendary watch vs. a post-quartz generation Omega

Buy them both.
Buy them both and then get more. Join us. Come over to the dark side. It’s more fun. 😀

Haha, I can’t buy both right now and the gold is over 2x price of the C case.

is $950 incl shipping and just full service completed reasonable for the C case? I looked around and in seems to be reasonable esp with the servicing just done

I would go for the Constellation because I like more the stainless steel watches. The dial it is in perfect condition in my opinion. I am not an expert because maybe an expert can spot some defects..😀 looks great. Now that you typed the price while I am writing I can not say that is a bargain..

I would go for the Constellation because I like more the stainless steel watches. The dial it is in perfect condition in my opinion. I am not an expert because maybe an expert can spot some defects..😀 looks great. Now that you typed the price while I am writing I can not say that is a bargain..
Yeah, I agree the price is not a bargain but taking into account the condition, all original as far as I can tell and the recent servicing, it seems ok (but I’m a newbie). I would rather pay a bit more for condition & piece of mind from the seller.
Edited:

Anticipating other posters, who did the service and is the seller prepared to provide the service receipt/guarantee. It’s sometimes the case that the ‘service’ is just waving a duster over the movement.

That said, I think it’s a reasonable price in this day and age.

I am not a gold watch person, so it would be the Constellation for me even if I do love the dial on the gold case

Before you decide, you may want to look at the very nice watch being sold by @padders in the private sales thread

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-constellation-c-case-auto-168-017-–-all-original.149992/
Well...that throws a bit of a wrench in...lol! Thanks for sharing. I do prefer the lighter grey dial, the star, and the year (1966) and only date (no day) better than the other. I like the gold fluted bezel, hands/indices and lume on the other though.

This is my first vintage and C case constellation, so I am torn. Appreciate anyone's input??
Edited:

I love gold, I love '57 Omega styling - both their dials and their cases, I admire Omega 500 series movements. This isn't a hard decision.