Crystal shrinkage?

Hi all,
Had my local watchmaker swap out the crown on my 135.015 136.015
The caseback was glued shut with the old gasket and remnants were everywhere, so he recommended to drop the case in the ultrasonic.
I've had him do this countless times before on other watches but this time it appears the crystal no longer fits snugly, it's too loose.
Bit strange as it felt solid in my short time wearing it, even when applying polywatch.
Anyone else have experience with this? Any way to reverse it or do I gotta start looking for a replacement.

And obligatory photo before the shrinkage:
IMG_2933_Original.jpeg
1724472525343.gif
Edited:

Like 3
Love the vintage dials, they have a lot of character. If he dipped the entire case in the ultrasound and gave it a bath, it cleaned everything up but the old gasket was probably the glue holding everything together.

My guess is the crystal used was the incorrect size and isn't seated correctly. For a quick fix, the watchmaker ended up running a bead of glue or compound which cemented the crystal is place. Most times watchmakers order a couple replacement sizes for this reason to get the correct fit especially with vintage ones.

Would ask your local watchmaker to take a look at it and get a professional opinion.

20240823_230907.jpg
Edited:

Like 3
It's possible the crystal was incorrect and had been bogged in.
In any event, a new crystal is in order.
P No PZ5128

Like 1
Also, have a similar story with a Tissot f300 tuning fork watch. Interesting history behind the development of the movement and design by Max Hetzel. The f300 movement was used in the Apollo spacecraft and by Omega, Tissot, and other watch companies at the time.

Needed a battery replaced and when it was opened, there was some silicone on the back of the movement. Watchmaker cleaned it up and replaced the battery. When I started wearing it again, there was a hollow sound when you tapped on the caseback and felt like the something was loose on the inside.

It was a quick fix from a previous watchmaker instead of tracking down the missing part. Could've been the part is no longer made for a watch which was only produced in the 60s and 70s right before the quartz crisis hit the watch world.

Like 1
It's possible the crystal was incorrect and had been bogged in.
In any event, a new crystal is in order.
P No PZ5128
Yeah that seems likely. Thank you.
I am seeing PZ5127 for this case, are they the same?

It's a 136.015, bad typo.
Edited:

Yeah that seems likely. Thank you.
I am seeing PZ5127 for this case, are they the same?

It's a 136.015, bad typo.
Yes, PZ5127.
Don't have one to measure though.

Like 1
IIRC crystals for these can be had with or without the magnifier, different PNs.

IIRC crystals for these can be had with or without the magnifier, different PNs.
I do like the magnifier and have seen other examples with it. I am assuming it'll be hard to find.
In all honesty it hides the date more than it magnifies it.

Crystals do shrink very slightly over time (many years). For example I can often pop out a vintage crystal with my thumbs quite easily, where a new crystal of the same size that is difficult to do. Sometimes the thing holding them in place is all the dirt that collects between the edge of the crystal and the case.

Like 2
Crystals do shrink very slightly over time (many years). For example I can often pop out a vintage crystal with my thumbs quite easily, where a new crystal of the same size that is difficult to do. Sometimes the thing holding them in place is all the dirt that collects between the edge of the crystal and the case.
There was a great deal of cheese on the watch when I got it, so this makes sense too.
My watchmaker did say he could try to epoxy it back in as a last resort.

I had a similar experience where an old crystal no longer fitted an old Zenith after cleaning. My WM explained that they shrink slightly and when you clean the dirt out they become lose.
A new replacement crystal did the trick!

Like 1
I had a similar experience where an old crystal no longer fitted an old Zenith after cleaning. My WM explained that they shrink slightly and when you clean the dirt out they become lose.
A new replacement crystal did the trick!
So I guess going forward, no more cleaning. 😋

Haha! Yes, I'd struggle to buy a vintage watch and not give it a very good clean... I love getting all that crud out and seeing what lies beneath...

Haha! Yes, I'd struggle to buy a vintage watch and not give it a very good clean... I love getting all that crud out and seeing what lies beneath...
Yeah exactly. A nato can prevent any cheese from touching my wrist, but it still makes me a little queasy.

You did the right thing- it had to be done. New correct crystal and you won’t look back.
I use a toothbrush dipped in Naptha to clean up nasty cases with unknown water resisted when in too impatient to take them to the watchmaker for a properly cleaning, gets the bulk of the crud off toothpicks can get into the deeper bits. Fast evaporating for concerned with wicking into the case. But don’t wear a white t-shirt while doing it

Like 1
You did the right thing- it had to be done. New correct crystal and you won’t look back.
I use a toothbrush dipped in Naptha to clean up nasty cases with unknown water resisted when in too impatient to take them to the watchmaker for a properly cleaning, gets the bulk of the crud off toothpicks can get into the deeper bits. Fast evaporating for concerned with wicking into the case. But don’t wear a white t-shirt while doing it
Toothpick is my go to! I was extra careful on my Speedmaster as I am not entirely sure if a toothpick would mark the aluminum bezel.

Toothpick is my go to! I was extra careful on my Speedmaster as I am not entirely sure if a toothpick would mark the aluminum bezel.
You can take it in the pool and mow your lawn with it, but that toothpick will be the death of it- watch out!