Forums Latest Members
  1. Danimals Apr 17, 2024

Curious on everyone's thoughts of replacing the case back on a vintage Seamaster with a crystal case back?? For me, a large part of the beauty of a watch is the movement inside and so sounds very interesting to replace the case back with crystal like on a lot of other modern watches (note would obviously keep and store the original case back) so that I can ogle over it! Anyone else had the same thought or have done it before, or is this completely blasphemous??

Link to a site that seems to have crystal case backs for 60's Seamasters:
    https://www.spiralwinderwatchparts....eback-for-1960s-seamasters-and-constellations

2. rendo Apr 17, 2024

Assuming that the aftermarket case back does what it is supposed to do, I don’t see why not. It’s your watch, and you can easily go back to the original one if you need to. As with any vintage watch, I would be careful about not getting the watch wet.

I personally wouldn’t bother doing the same as I don’t think I would ever look inside the watch after the first day of putting that on.

Danimals likes this.
  3. Aroxx Sets his watch Apr 17, 2024

Whatever floats your boat. No harm in switching it up. Personally, the appeal of an exhibition case back has worn off a bit for me. Not sure how much I’d be admiring the movement after the novelty wore off. I see enough movement pictures here on the forum every day. If I really wanted to admire a movement I could grab one from the pile and get back to trying to learn some watch repair.

Danimals likes this.
  4. buddman Apr 17, 2024

Is it expensive? You never see it when its on your wrist so seems unnecessary, unless your trying to show off your rotor engraving skills.

Danimals likes this.
  5. Danimals Apr 17, 2024

Haha great point on seeing them often spending time on the forum! Maybe just still giddy from first Omega purchase, but I still see it as the analogous to the motor of a nice sports car! I'm also enamored by skeleton watches which seem to be polarizing style so maybe just a tad different in the head :D

They're not "cheap" per say, but not prohibitive at $70. Would think about it as a splurge for a birthday present or Xmas present if I can hold out that long.. lol

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 17, 2024

You might want to check on the condition you your movement, it may not be bright and shiny like the ones they show.

Danimals and rendo like this.
  7. Pvt-Public Apr 17, 2024

My sincere condolences. In time you may be forgiven.:thumbsdown:::stirthepot::

Danimals likes this.
  8. Danimals Apr 18, 2024

:p

9. Dan S Apr 18, 2024

Yours is the only opinion that matters, it's your watch.