Considering this 18k Seamaster 168.022

Hi all. Saw this particular watch on the Instagram of this local seller. It's a Seamaster ref 168.022-67. I suppose it's 37mm with a caliber 564, in solid 18k gold. I am not familiar at all with this era of Seamasters, especially the gold ones. Online there's a few mentions, but nothing selling on eBay for me to create an idea of the market.

The seller is asking €1.900. I am just guessing that there's €100-150 wiggle room. Would this be a fair price, considering the condition of the watch? To me it looks in decent shape, with only a few light scratches on the case (especially the case back). Some advice would be appreciated.

These are the only available photos unfortunately.

1.jpg

2.jpg

WTF is going on with the gloves ::facepalm1::

I get it guys. He's got black nitrile (or whatever) gloves and using the buckle wrong. The photos suck. Can I get some opinions on the actual watch pretty please? 😁

It's not a pretty example of a nice reference, and not a top reference.

And one wears gloves on a watch $5000USD and above in top shape not a $900 watch in less than average condition.

It's not a pretty example of a nice reference, and not a top reference.

And one wears gloves on a watch $5000USD and above in top shape not a $900 watch in less than average condition.

Well, I'll let the guy know of the "gloves on $5k+" rule, if I ever happen to meet him. As for the watch, $900 for a gold case reference?

Just to be clear, it is not solid 18k gold, but gold capped.

WTF is going on with the gloves ::facepalm1::
It happens, I blew up my en-suite lavatory so badly yesterday that it needed some urgent repair work and I had to glove up, this bloke might have been in a similar situation and realised he needed to sell down some watches to get some professional backup.

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

How can you tell? So that I can also tell in the future. All I got for this exact reference were solid gold versions, and I have no clue how to tell between plated, capped or solid.

Solid gold this one. And the price even without any reduction is reasonable. It is also a bit tougher to find a solid 18k gold date only example in nice condition than it is to find the day date version. These watches were omega's competition to the solid gold datejusts.

I see a hallmark on the bottom left hand lug indicating that it is 18k.

Solid gold this one. And the price even without any reduction is reasonable. It is also a bit tougher to find a solid 18k gold date only example in nice condition than it is to find the day date version. These watches were omega's competition to the solid gold datejusts.

When gold filled was mentioned, I realized that the back case seems like steel. It does seem a different color from the hippocampus from the crap photo. If that's the case (pun intended), could a solid gold case have a stainless steel back?

It’s lightings make it looks like a steel case back. However, I believe this is solid gold case as I can see the stamp while zoomed it. The price is quite reasonable.

Have a look at the 168.023. Also a constellation calendar day chronometer would be a good purchase. A rolex day date is for aficionados.

Have a look at the 168.023. Also a constellation calendar day chronometer would be a good purchase. A rolex day date is for aficionados.

I have my eyes set on 168.027, a date only Constellation with fluted bezel. However, these Seamasters are more interesting in terms of case sizes. But yeah, still exploring what I like and what's out there.

Met the guy to take a look at the watch. Looks really good in person. Haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning into a yes. Final price: €1800.

IMG_20231109_123726.jpg

great watch IMHO, one of the seamaster case design I like the most.