Close call? Scammer lucian23

I was attracted by the following offer from member @lucian23
https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-cal-1861-price-2500-euro.174518/

I contacted him about the watch and he asked me for my paypal address in order to prepair an invoice. I read some feedbacks of this member, they are all positive, one feedback mentiones that the seller is from Romania.

At the back of my head i recalled a story with an ex member @ApolloXVII pulling a pretty scam (also Romania based). Many surely remember this one:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/apolloxvii-scammer-multiple-victims.147628/

Edit:
some great investigation by @Scarecrow Boat
https://omegaforums.net/threads/scammer-apolloxvii-is-back-for-more.154951/

Both members have very simmilar style of wirting and approach is simmilar.
When comparing their listings and i must admit i am no professional, but the photograph lightning of background seemed really simmilar.
And also one watch looks like both members offered for sale (Omega Speedmaster Tripple Date MK40).
Links to both listings:
@lucian23:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-speedmaster-triple-date-new-price-reduced-1900-euro.173821/
@ApolloXVII:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...date-mk40-chronograph-automatic-watch.145979/

Not the same photos, but the style looks very comparable.

I dont have evidence that @lucian23 and @ApolloXVII is the same person, but something is suspicious here.

So wanted to post my investigation here for educational purposes.
Edited:

Thank you for sharing. I would have concerns myself!

@dsio would be a good person to notify as they would be able to look further into it.

Edit to add, looks like lucian23 had been banned.

@Eve excellent job picking up those similarities!

@dsio would be a good person to notify as they would be able to look further into it.
His account is gone already. I informed Ash before i made it public, didnt want to create another "bad reputation" for member without knowing for sure.
thanks for quick reaction to the mods!

His account is gone already. I informed Ash before i made it public, didnt want to create another "bad reputation" for member without knowing for sure.
thanks for quick reaction to the mods!
Good call. This guy has been back several times now:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/scammer-apolloxvii-is-back-for-more.154951/

Hi,

I bought the below watch from Lucian. Currently with Romania post…
I would just begin the claim process now. He stated a while ago “From that point i decide to return the wheel and to take money from PayPal with the same system who act against me.
So i am a scammer with principles.”

@cineaste was the first to get us looking at him, we made the determination during the evening. Anyone who has not received an item they were promised should pursue their claim via PayPal and their bank to ensure they are not left out of pocket.

@cineaste was the first to get us looking at him, we made the determination during the evening. Anyone who has not received an item they were promised should pursue their claim via PayPal and their bank to ensure they are not left out of pocket.
i actually wanted to contact @cineaste , since i remembered he was involved in the first scam. i guess he was quicker! 😉

@paddymoran and whoever else might be a victim this time: At least PayPal refunded everybody last time as far as I’m aware. Took a while but it all worked out. Fingers crossed.

Alarm bells went off when I was advised (after payment) that postage would take 2-3 weeks (within Europe).

And fyi- @cineaste was on to this as he was scammed by Apollo along with several other veteran members. I will let him speak form himself but it was the pattern of behavior he noted. He has let the mods know this morning as far as I know, but I advised him to hold it close and keep it with the mods until he had proof. I applaud you @Eve and @cineaste for keeping an eagle eye on our home to try and keep us safe from predators. I’m hoping whomever may have purchased the Mk40 is made whole as well as anyone else taken by this confidence scam.

just saw your post @dsio - thanks for keeping your head on a swivel.
It takes a village.

I knew something was amiss for months, but I could only confirm my suspicions end of June, when he switched from selling an old inexpensive watch every once in a while, to listing multiple Omegas at bargain prices. Combine this with PayPal and Romania post only (so he can give you a tracking number that gets stuck when it exits the country), it's the exact same MO. First time it worked well because members expect people with multiple positive feedback to be legit. I hope not too many people got scammed this time. He worked on this for 18 months, so I hope diminishing returns will stop him from trying again. It's a pity because members from Romania might have a tougher time selling here. I hope they don't, because for me it was never about the country, just that his MO matched.

@paddymoran I have purchased the exact same watch as you. "Stuck" in Romania since July 8th. I have just filed a claim via PayPal explaining the situation. Maybe we can help each other.

Hi there,

I’m the buyer of the Omega Mark 40. Unfortunately I’m noticing now the fraud as user has beeen banned and shipping code is not working anymore.

I will try to open a complaint to PayPal as I paid through it. Do you know if there are any chance for a refund?

Thanks,
SM

Hi there,

I’m the buyer of the Omega Mark 40. Unfortunately I’m noticing now the fraud as user has beeen banned and shipping code is not working anymore.

I will try to open a complaint to PayPal as I paid through it. Do you know if there are any chance for a refund?

Thanks,
SM
It might take some time but as long as you paid through the goods and service option on PayPal and not the friends and family you should get your money back, I would also contact your bank and start from their end too.

I have just filed a claim via PayPal
Just to let you know that I was a victim of a scam and PayPal was excellent in freezing the transaction.

Just reading about the number of OF members on this thread who were swindled by this guy makes me sick to my stomach. I can't imagine how many other would be buyers outside of OF were duped by this indvidual. What does it say about a person that they would rather make a living through deceit and taking advantage of others than by getting a job, taking pride in it, and doing an honest day's work. It's just pathetic. I feel very sorry for the victims and I wonder what course of events led this individual to become ethically and morally bankrupt. What goes around comes around. Life and karma will eventually catch up with this guy.

I wonder if he already has another OF account that he will use for the next round of scams. Could the mods check for that using his ip address? We may not be able to stop him, but we can slow him down at least.

Just to let you know that I was a victim of a scam and PayPal was excellent in freezing the transaction.

That’s a relief to hear, thank you. I feel stupid to fall for this, but the guy had several positive references. Apparently built up since his last “run”.

@paddymoran I have purchased the exact same watch as you. "Stuck" in Romania since July 8th. I have just filed a claim via PayPal explaining the situation. Maybe we can help each other.
Thanks a mil - maybe sharing our PayPal details (i.e. email address) by PM would help progress with PayPal. It should help assure them that the claims are legitimate.

I have to say that as victims of fraud go I think we’re fortunate. It might take a while to be refunded by PayPal but at least we paid PayPal goods and services as opposed to by family and friends and hence we have protection.

I got defrauded by the Peruvian eBay sellers of Omega
watches about 20 years ago and wasn’t so lucky - and they’re still active.