Forums Latest Members
  1. blubarb Jun 30, 2018

EDIT:
    UPDATE: Looks like something worked and the thread has now disappeared. I hope it stays that way. Thank you for all the International support and advice. There are way too many members and friends to list, but THANK YOU ALL (you know who you are) and happy watch collecting!

Onwards and upwards!

###########################################################################################

And what did I get out of this, a pain in the backside and a new 4 channel CTV Thermal system and some great advice from foo2rama and the dozens of others who offered their guidance and experience.

I would like to use this post to hopefully put my side of a dispute I have had with TRF and its Australian owner Stephen Smith. It is not a gripe or a broadsheet, but a brief defence of my character and watch community reputation.

In brief:

My seven year old Rolex Forum account was hacked and the scammer tried to sell a watch using my username. Thankfully it was discovered by by an observant TRF member and my account was de-activated immediately. Exactly what should have happened.

Now, long story short, I ask for details of this scam and why it lead to a life banning. The response to my email was "Well why did you post a $14,000 AP watch for sale from California? If you didn¹t do it then you must have authorised someone else to do so." After that, an exchange of emails that could have been handled better on both sides, ended with a permanent block. Okay. No problem. So asked for the sales forum access fee of USD28 to be refunded. I was told that because I had sold one watch (in seven years) and two days before the ban, I was told that I was a "scammer and a blackmailer" :eek: So 11 months and 2 weeks refund please? :D

They not only barred me forever but Stephen Smith (Lol-x) published my personal information (given to him by PayPal) in a scam thread alongside the real scammer with the obvious implication that I was also a scammer as some post comments evidence. So my information was exposed on the accusation that I was i was scamming TRF out of USD28 for what they call a "donation" - donations, in my view, are generally given voluntary for no quid pro quo - at least I thought so.

Don't care about the banning as that wont change the shape of the universe but do care about exposing me to identity and perhaps property theft. Had to take all my watches back to the deposit box - probably not a bad thing - too easy to become complacent I guess. I try not to swear too often, but having my personal information exposed on-line just seems wrong (when I say personal info, I mean name, address, etc...) Link:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=612699
    ***********************Link no longer accessible for me - perhaps TRF has taken it down?*****************

So, what I am trying to say, is that the implication that I am a scammer and not a victim of a scammer is really anathema to my way of thinking and an assault on my reputation as a buyer and a seller. PLEASE be assured I am NOT a scammer and I have plenty of positive comments here on OF and on WUS and one on TRF :rolleyes: I also just sold another watch and the buyer WILL receive it and he paid by wire.

If anyone knows if it's wrong or against some rule to post a person's personal info on an open forum and then refuse to redact or remove could you let me know, TRF is registered in the USA I believe and Hosted by Eastern Euro servers I believe. If I was a Euro citizen I would be on to the GDPR regulators at the drop of a hat.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO ANY SALES POSTS OR EMAILS FROM BLUBARB WITHOUT FIRST MESSAGING ME - I DO NOT HAVE A [email protected]om or a [email protected] ::censored:: OR [email protected]

Thank you for your patience and I am sorry for the diatribe.

ps. I believe this kind of action may be a breach of both US law and Illinois law - I believe that the posting of personal information in an attempt to harm is illegal, it is also most likely against the terms of service of the ISP singlehop.com.

*Edited for spelling corrections

**Mods. Apparently the scammer s known as William and has been up to this activity for a very long time.

Edited Jul 2, 2018
    marco, larryganz, gemini4 and 9 others like this.
  2. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 30, 2018

Jesus man, that is awful.

What a shitbird to do that...another reason I am active on exactly 0 other watch forums.

I had my TZ account hacked in a similar manner and was selling an AP.

watch3s, marco, Don Bocadillo and 5 others like this.
  3. PeterMizzi Jun 30, 2018

I can totally vouch for John, He is a true gentleman whom i have the pleasure of purchasing from in the past. He goes out of his way to answer all question and make you feel comfortable with the purchase you are about to make, Not to mention he has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Speedmaster and other brands and is only too happy to share his knowledge with the novice. I too think it was totally wrong for TRF to publicly share his personal details, not only was it immoral and childish I'm sure it is also illegal.

blubarb and Paedipod like this.
  4. blubarb Jun 30, 2018

yeah, Pretty scary stuff to see your details that were given to someone privately splashed publicly and especially by someone who should know better, a lawyer at that.

5. IDXM Jun 30, 2018

Sorry, can’t do much but offer you my best wishes.

blubarb likes this.
  6. Dre Jun 30, 2018

I totally vouch for John, he's a good guy and definitely not a scammer! And I think it's very wrong for the facilitator of TRF to publish John's personal information publicly.

sdre, JohnSteed and blubarb like this.
  7. sjg22 Jun 30, 2018

John, you likely have legal avenues you can persue as most jurisdictions have privacy legislation. If you can find a nexus to the UK or Europe, all the better.

I would not allow my personal info to sit on the open web and this may be the only means of having it removed.

connieseamaster and blubarb like this.
  8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 30, 2018

What do expect from Rolex guys?

9. blubarb Jun 30, 2018

I am pretty sure the server is hosted in Russia - but I don't think the GDPR extends the other way, to non EU citizens.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2018

I agree :thumbsup:.

The way John has been treated and the way the tool on TRF handles issues is deplorable.

This guy is known for being an absolute prick when any opinions don't align with his view of the world.

I think John should team up with Nick Hacko and go and rip this guy a new one.

Flatfoot and blubarb like this.
  11. blubarb Jun 30, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 8.15.49 PM.jpg

Hang on I've got a Rolex...

Edited Jun 30, 2018
  12. lillatroll Jun 30, 2018

TRF have acted in a despicable manner, I could understand it to some degree if you were an actual scammer but to print your details when, through no fault of your own, are the victim beggars belief. I hope this kind of behaviour is stamped out.
    One reply used the argument that the TRF is not a democracy, but that does not give them the right to publish your personal details. I hope this mess gets sorted out and that your reputation will not be tarnished.

Flatfoot, noelekal and blubarb like this.
  13. Faz Jun 30, 2018

The exact same thing happened to a very good friend of mine. The TRF is a scam on its own from what I can read.

blubarb likes this.
  14. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 30, 2018

TRF is ridiculous. I was banned there for life for PMing a member to do a reference check on someone else (who turned out to be a scammer that hacked someone's account).

Buckeyes#1, Mtek and sdre like this.
  15. sjg22 Jun 30, 2018

Where do you live, where do the key people at TRF live?

These are all jurisdictions that may have privacy legislation that would force them to remove your data, or perhaps even be liable to you for damages.

Legal options aren’t usually the best options, but it sounds like some comeuppance is richly deserved in this instance.

JohnSteed likes this.
  16. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jun 30, 2018

Fine.

But are you a "Rolex guy"? There's a difference...

17. GordonL Jun 30, 2018

That is absolutely deplorable behaviour by TRF. Like someone said, I think you would have an immediate legal redress here in Europe. Hope you can get it resolved, although the damage is done now.

blubarb likes this.
  18. blubarb Jun 30, 2018

Yes, have to agree with your summation.

I am in Australia. The owner of TRF lives in Melbourne Australia - not sure about others, probably spread over the globe,

A simple Google search shows that USA has some quite stringent rules: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/publishing-personal-and-private-information

Edited Jun 30, 2018
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 30, 2018

Pretty sure the owner is a lawyer or barrister ;)

Nick Hacko has had a running battle with them for over 7 odd years.

Wrestling with pigs you tend to get dirty :whistling:

blubarb likes this.
  20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2018

Sometimes you think the only solution to crap like this is:

1. PIs (The big hefty guys, not Shamuses).
    2. Cricket Bats (easier to do snick shots).
    3. BPB (Brown Paper Bag full of random notes).