Forums Latest Members
  1. WhiteThorn Jun 2, 2021

Does anyone have any experience with ceramic watches such as the dark side of the moon?

I have heard rumblings that they are brittle and prone to cracking if dropped or banged. Is this really true?

2. f3dbca Jun 2, 2021

I can only speak from personal experience, but I wear a ceramic as a daily and it remains in one piece despite having been knocked on doors etc.

There are a few horror stories out there of people shattering ceramic watches, but the number of horror stories compared to the quantity of ceramic watches out in the wild is a really low ratio. If the issue was that bad no one would be buying them, and manufacturers would have stopped making them.

MTROIS, GenericUsername, Kim and 2 others like this.
  3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jun 2, 2021

4. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Jun 2, 2021

Based on the number of times I have smacked my DSOTM hard against door handles, walls, a metal railing once, it's not enough of a concern to fret about. Once or twice the surface I hit got damaged, but never the watch.

MTROIS, Stripey and NGO1 like this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 2, 2021

Yes, they can chip or break, and if they do the cost to repair is very high. If you plan to get one, insurance is a must.

Edited Jun 2, 2021
    MTROIS, Caesar95, keisuke_z and 3 others like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 2, 2021

Ceramic is great at compression over a wide area. Ceramic is not great at torque or pin point blows. I’d never own a ceramic watch.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  7. NGO1 Jun 2, 2021

I dropped darkside on wife’ granite counter top, while changing strap.
    A piece of the white countertop chipped off.
    Wife is pissed.

if you must own a ceramic watch, don’t get marry. Just saying...

EEEA8FCB-19A8-49BE-B6FB-A80B9843136B.png
  8. Omegafanman Jun 2, 2021

DSOTM is my go to watch now for international travel and London (since 2015).... Risk of a scratch (almost zero)…. risk of being mugged / robbed for it …… almost zero... Risk of it smashing...based on my drunken altercation with a lamppost in Berlin - fairly low.
    I am happy with those odds compared to everything else in my collection.... and it can run duel time on the sub dial :0)

06a - Copy.jpg
    MTROIS, GenericUsername, Kim and 2 others like this.
  9. Jkbenn02 Jun 2, 2021

Insurance is a most

10. PandaSPUR Jun 2, 2021

I've had my GSOTM for two years now and it still looks brand new. The worst I've done to it is probably take out a chunk of plaster wall at the office though. No drops or falls so far.
    Added a ceramic PO to my collection this year too, had 0 hesitation over the ceramic case.

I also have both insured through a separate "Personal Articles Policy" though. Full reimbursement for damage (repairs), loss and theft.

Caesar95 likes this.
  11. Walrus Jun 2, 2021

Drifting off topic a bit but I love the look of ceramic dials. Darn such a nice dial material

12. Bugbait Jun 3, 2021

Ceramic has a unique look, feel and fit when worn. If this appeals to you then get one. It's a good idea to insure any watch that costs several thousand (or more) regardless of what material it's made of. I insure mine for theft and accidental damage, just as I would any of my watches not covered by a standard home insurance policy. I wear it daily and enjoy it without worrying about chips or damage (or did before it stopped, not related to any bumps or knocks).

PandaSPUR likes this.
  13. tigertom Jun 3, 2021

113C0DCD-4F34-4BD6-B6EC-92410697BBC9.jpeg Perfect wear, unscratchable, love the ceramic!

MTROIS and Kim like this.
  14. Caesar95 Jun 9, 2021

I’d love to own one DSOTM as well! But I won’t not because of the ceramic case but it’s size and thickness. Why can’t Omega just make a smaller and thinner piece? It’d have been a real contender to the Rolex Daytona.

MTROIS likes this.
  15. PandaSPUR Jun 9, 2021

Have you tried one on in person? The thickness really isnt noticeable to me. I'd say it probably fits well on a wrist as small as 6.5.

Caesar95 likes this.
  16. mjb Jun 10, 2021

There is a Planet Ocean 600M in 39.5mm ceramic that I'm currently contemplating. I can't get over the price right now, but size-wise, it fits the bill for me.

WhiteThorn likes this.
  17. o.m.e.g.a Jun 10, 2021

Anybody knows how much lighter (in %?) is the ceramic version of a given model comparing to it's steel counterpart?

18. PandaSPUR Jun 10, 2021

Kinda hard to make that comparison cause there arent exact counterparts from what I can think of. Easiest to just pick two models you wanna compare and check the specs.

19. o.m.e.g.a Jun 10, 2021

Planet Ocean 600M in 39.5mm is exactly an example of a model in steel and ceramic. Unfortunately, omega web page does not mention head weight, not even in PDF datasheet... :(

20. PandaSPUR Jun 10, 2021

Ah whoops, forgot those smaller POs. I only own a 45.5mm PO in ceramic, so I cant help there.

Best to just go to a shop and hope they have both for you to try on.