Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster GSOTM chipped lug

1. chirojared Feb 23, 2016

My Omega Speedmaster Grey side of the moon watch fell from a short distance onto a hard floor and the bottom crown/pusher side lug got chipped as you can see in the following pictures. I brought the watch to the Omega service center in NYC and they advised me that the only option is to replace the entire case at a cost of roughly $7000. I obviously didn't choose that option because that is pretty much the cost to replace the entire watch.

They stated that the couldn't confirm whether the watch was structurally sound due to the proximity of where the chip occurred to where the spring bar inserts into the case. Mechanically they stated the watch was 0.5 seconds a day fast. With that accuracy I could only assume the fall if anything improved the accuracy since that is better than I could have hoped for on any timepiece.

What I am left with is a mechanically sound, structurally uncertain watch with a noticeable chip to the naked eye. I could live with the chip as a battle wound if I knew that the watch was not going to fall off my wrist. Omega acknowledged that there might be a procedure to fill in the chip with some sort of epoxy/cement but they don't perform anything other than case replacement as per their protocol.

I was hoping that someone can give me some advice to help me possibly mend this once beautiful timepiece. Is there any way to definitively check the stability of the springbar attachment to the case other than the standard wiggle test that it passed?

My initial research online indicated that possibly dentists use ZrO2 in their practice so if any dentists can give suggestions that would be wonderful and greatly appreciated. I called and spoke to a couple of local jewelers that some felt they could mend the watch and some who didn't want to touch the ceramic at all.

I figured that this forum would be a good place to seek advise from before making any decisions. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide. IMG_6892.jpg IMG_6893.jpg

2. trama Feb 23, 2016

That's terrible luck, so sorry. I hope it isn't structural, because aesthetically it isn't bad at all. Plus the watch is keeping amazing time! Even if it passes the wiggle test you could fashion some kind of NATO-inspired security just to be extra safe. It could even be a small piece attached to your existing straps...a teensy section of thread or fishing line even...

3. repoman Feb 23, 2016

I don't think there's anything you can do about it so just forget about it and wear it. I bought insurance for my Grey Side for just this reason.

watchme likes this.
  4. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Feb 23, 2016

yep, put it on a nato for a couple of weeks/months... just to be on the save side

5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 23, 2016

$7k for a case?

Remind me never to buy a ceramic cased watch. That cannot be accurate, and if it is, that is obscene.

How much is a new one? A used one? I would call Omega corporate and raise hell.

Not much of tool watch if the case chips when dropped.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 23, 2016

I can confirm that is an accurate price for a replacement case.

To the OP, can you take another photo to see if you can get the defect more in focus? Maybe remove the strap, as I'm trying to see if the damage encroaches on the spring bar hole.

I would be cautious letting anyone try a repair...take some time to really understand this and look at options before you actually let anyone attempt to fix it.

Anyway, sorry to see this happen...

Cheers, Al

WiZARD, SamQue, jsaen and 3 others like this.
  7. chirojared Feb 23, 2016

Actually it came out to around $6700 but with nys tax it will actually the be more than $7000. I was hoping that they would offer to fix it under warranty or offer another solution. I am starting to wonder if there was some defect in the ceramic because it was a very small fall and shouldn't have chipped. I am happy that my watch is wearable at this point and does seem to be structurally intact. The movement is 0.5 seconds fast which is incredible and the rest of the watch appears perfect as well.

8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 23, 2016

@Archer thanks for the clarification. That is nuts!!!

@chirojared sorry they happened, I would reach out to a senior Omega executive, as it is insane that they produce a tool watch that is that fragile, if it was in fact a fall that did not hurt the movement.

Keep us updated. I agree, don't let anyone other than Omega touch it...they have to have another option.

9. chirojared Feb 23, 2016

Thanks Al for your response. I brought it to an independent watchmaker today and he told me that everything appeared to be structurally intact and the springbar appeared to sit well in the lug. I took a picture right after it happened with my phone. I am reluctant at this time to remove the springbar again until I get more definitely information. I will include the iPhone picture with this post. Thanks again!

image.jpeg
  10. italy1861 Feb 23, 2016

11. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 23, 2016

If you see the process required to even make the case on their online videos.. I would be SURPRISED anyone would even offer to attempt a repair. That sucks about the case but ceramic cases are just replaced when damaged like that

12. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Feb 23, 2016

As stated above, a great reason to not buy ceramic.

Sorry to hear. I hope it holds it's integrity.

13. billyblue Feb 24, 2016

14. happytapy Feb 24, 2016

Sorry to read about your plight. Wow, just when I thought they were pretty well bulletproof, along comes a mishap that makes you think differently. Nothing is bulletproof.

I agree that you should treat this as a birthmark, but is there any chance the spring bar might slip out during use?

15. chirojared Feb 24, 2016

Omega told me that the case needed to be replaced due to the proximity to the lug hole but it is their goal to sell me a $7000 replacement case. A local watchmaker told me that it looks pretty solid in the lug so I'm not totally sure. It definitely appears to be stable. I am very disappointed in the quality of this timepiece because I can assure you it was not a substantial drop. I was on my knees when it happened. I would imagine if I was standing the whole watch would have cracked

16. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 24, 2016

@billyblue it is made for wear, and $9k for a tool watch that is somewhat fragile is ridiculous in my mind.

All 12 of my vintage tool watches have some sort of battle scare from the last 30-50 years of wear, but done as large as a that chip, and I am fairly confident that they have sustained bigger hits.

That watch has very little of the original Speedmaster DNA it if so brittle, and personally, I would want to let senior Omega leadership know about a flawed product.

17. Slevin kelevra Feb 24, 2016

Terrible luck. I would always be wary of a ceramic watch for this very reason.

18. glownyc Feb 24, 2016

If it was my watch I'd try something simple first like sugru. It's strong but easy to work with and easy to remove. It will at least give you an idea of what a repair could look like.

19. ChrisN Feb 24, 2016

I don’t know how they make these cases and what sort of ceramic it is but, I’d do a couple of things.

Here’s a picture of the stresses in a lug from some random site. Forget all the structure to the left of the circular hole – that circular hole is where the springbar goes This would be the same as pulling on the strap. You can see the high stresses around the lug (in green) and I marked with a star the place where your chip appears to be – right in the high stress area.
    lug stress.png
    If the surface is rough in that area, because of the stresses, you can initiate cracks there which could grow and fail the whole lug so, first thing would be to get it dressed so it’s smooth.

You don’t know if there are cracks hidden inside the lug material due to the impact (which could also grow causing lug failure) but, you could confirm that with an ultrasonic inspection – that would be movement out and it’s a specialized tool and process. Quite who could do that for an individual, I don’t know and you may just have to live without it.

I'd put it on a NATO but am not sure there's any real point as you seem to say that the case is equal to the watch replacement value so, if the lug fails then it would be easier to just get another one. It’s a pity that it’s come to this but, ceramics are brittle, having poor ductility and are a terrible material for impact resistance. Steel is far more forgiving.

Regards, Chris

20. chirojared Feb 24, 2016

Just wanted to give everyone an update. I spoke to the Omega corporate office in New Jersey and they are sending me a prepaid box to ship my watch to them in. I told them about all of the feedback that I received on the forums regarding the damage sustained to my watch. They need to have the watch in hand to inspect it. They will then be able to advise me on where to proceed from there. They told me that they will see what they can do for me. I will keep everyone updated on what happens.

Igotmydads, blubarb, sky21 and 5 others like this.