Forums Latest Members

I want a DSOTM, but scared of ceramic. comments please

1. Paulotis2 Jul 31, 2016

Guys.
    I want to buy a DSOTM, people everywhere talk crap, I don't want to spend $10.000 for something that can crack so easy. Is it more durable than people say.

Anyone have experience with one?

2. ulackfocus Jul 31, 2016

Hmmmm, I bet hundreds or thousands have been sold. How many problems have you heard of? One or two? Maybe you shouldn't listen to "them". That being said, if you're hard on watches you should look for a material capable of taking abuse like a Sinn with tegimented steel.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 1, 2016

It is much more durable than people say, but there is still a risk. 99% of owners are happy so buy on 99% or run on 1%

By the way i made those numbers up but you get the point.

I personally dont like ceramic watches... A little too perfect and clean and sterile for my taste. I am always visually impressed and attracted but in time i like a little more personality on my pieces. Thats personal taste though.

4. ktc Aug 1, 2016

I have mine for about 6 weeks and don't baby it. It has accidentally smacked into a door knob twice, on a metal guard rail once, and a few other things. Never super hard impacts but it's meant to be worn. No issues.

I have been careful to not drop it... the deployant clasp version helps. I also insured it for any breakage which is a great assurance.

jcmartinez98 and watchme like this.
  5. RARJ Aug 3, 2016

Buy one and then have it insured by Jewellers Mutual. They protect you from damages as well as mysterious disappearance.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 3, 2016

fwgde, Exarkun12 and watchme like this.
  7. ktc Aug 3, 2016

It brings a silly grin to my face every time I look down and it still looks as flawless than the day it was bought.... now, or 3 years from now.

8. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Aug 3, 2016

9. karalhoin Aug 8, 2016

Yeah. This has been covered before in the forum. Search "DSOTM". But in summary, the cracking/shattering fears are greatly exaggerated. Many DSOTMs were sold and there are less than half a dozen reports of cracked cases (a few of those keep being reposted).
    Also a few reports from people who bought the original in 2013 and say they are totally scratch-free after 3 years of use. Some people dislike that, but I think it can be a plus.

It's a watch that you should not drop on the floor (like with any watch) but won't crack if you hit it against a door frame or other daily accidents. Plus it will look like new for a long time. If you are normally careful with it and not extremely unlucky, it will be like any other watch.

EDIT: I second the suggestion of getting the .007 version (2015) with the ceramic/titanium foldover clasp. It suits the watch a lot better and it is also safer. The .003 (2013) version is cheaper but IMHO the new one is worth the extra.

watchme likes this.
  10. RegF Aug 8, 2016

<groan> Again

As someone who used to have a career that dealt with ceramics,its got to be one of the most abused and mis-understood terms on the planet and certainly in watch making.

to blanketly suggest that "Ceramics are fragile" or ceramics are prone to breakage" makes as much sense as saying that "metal rusts"

Which metal? what do you mean by rust? is it an alloy? etc, etc

Ceramic materials cover a huge spread of materials with a vast array of properties that can be adjusted and tweaked to give the desired results.

This isn't your Granny's tea cup, nor your privy bowl, nor even a dental filling ( although that's closer)

As has been mentioned, yes, if you abuse it it can be pushed past its limits, but that is true of any material.

Any watch dropped onto a hard surface is likely to suffer damage to internal components that will be expensive, potential damage to the sapphire crystal ( technically a ceramic ) and yet we think nothing of these hazards for the majority of our collections

When was the last time you dropped one of your collection onto the bathroom tiles?

Go, buy in confidence.

The Internet was populated by stories written by "them" and "they" are experts on everything.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 8, 2016

https://omegaforums.net/threads/lv-sapphire-and-ceramic-floors.43219/

It happens, as this thread, and many others on forums, will show. And yes it's never cheap when something like this happens, but to say a broken ceramic case is just the same as with a steel case cost wise is quite misleading. You can replace the crystal in a sapphire Speedmaster 8X over for the price of a replacement ceramic case.

I don't think anyone has suggested that the case is like grandma's tea cups, and to suggest that is the concern is disingenous at best. I just think people should understand the risks involved and what the potential costs are if something does happen. If anything it will encourage people to insure their watches.

QUOTE="RegF, post: 517054, member: 22199"]
    Go, buy in confidence.

The Internet was populated by stories written by "them" and "they" are experts on everything.[/QUOTE]

People can buy whatever they like, I really don't care. But the fact is we don't really know what the failure rate is (I know of at least 5 failures) because the vast majority of people who buy these are not likely on watch forums. The risk, however small it might be, is there, and the consequences are orders of magnitude more in terms of money than in a stainless steel case.

Not arguing against buying a ceramic if you like it, just feel that more information is better than less...

Cheers, Al

12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 8, 2016

Ceramix: there is a rather small chance of a very expensive event that cannot be remedied

SS:
    there is a high chance of an extremely minuscule event (scratch, swirl) that can most likely can easily be remedied

if scratches are high on your avoid list: get a Damasko and call it a life :whistling:

13. karalhoin Aug 9, 2016

I think the biggest risk with the DSOTM is not the ceramic aspect at all, but just the fact that it is a totally black watch, which can end up being tiring for some people (especially if you don't rotate it with other watches). That said, I still think it is the most special model in that line, also because it was the first.

The "value" of many watches is highly subjective. Pretty much all of them are "too expensive" if we look at them from a purely rational/functional point of view, including for accessories and repairs. I like that a full ZrO2 build like in the xSOTM is not common. You'll see many stainless steel watches out there every week, but probably not many (if any) ceramics (excluding the bezel-only models).

14. billyblue Aug 9, 2016

The actual NO GO regarding the DSOTM or any other ceramic Speedmaster FOR ME is in fact the lack of a proper back case sealing method (snap case vs. screw in case). This bothers me more than the properties of ceramic. Otherwise I would have bought a GSOTM already.

15. karalhoin Aug 9, 2016

Interesting point. But for people who will have them serviced by Omega, that is probably not a major issue.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 9, 2016

Not seeing how where you get it serviced makes a difference?

17. karalhoin Aug 9, 2016

Well I would expect Omega to have the right tools and also if any damage occurs, they will cover it (as it is being fixed there). But if they fu@!$p opening their own model, that would be a very bad sign.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 9, 2016

I didn't read his concern as being with opening the case back...

19. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 9, 2016

The only problem that I can see with a DSOTM is that it smacks of an illicit affair between flotsam and dot-com.

20. billyblue Aug 9, 2016

Now I see what you mean. Archer is right, my concern is not the risk of damaging the case at removal, but the lack of proper sealing.

Caller likes this.