Forums Latest Members
  1. shutterlife Apr 19, 2016

So it's finally happened. My GSOTM is chipped on the lug. I don't know how it happened. When it happened. Or what even happened. But as I was putting on new straps. I saw it. Thought it was dirt. But sadly enough, it wasn't. I won't lie. I'm deeply saddened by. Discouraged by ceramics. The bright side, is its on the underside. So it won't be visible. Don't know how this will affect the integraty of the lugs. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Gonna try and make time to visit the boutique. See what they say. And of course. We all need pictures or it never happened.

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. richard371 Apr 19, 2016

Sorry to hear but seems like an unlikely place for it to get chipped. I'm trying to imagine how that would be possible. I wonder if it were some sort of structural failure? Hopefully omega will take care of it for you.

VicLeChic likes this.
  3. richard371 Apr 19, 2016

Also is the ceramic underneath black? I thought the case was gray all the way through?

4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 19, 2016

Those sorts of marks are also left on SS cases by the end links. This might be a result of rubbing by the end link or pressure from it on being removed.

5. Baco Noir Apr 19, 2016

That's perplexing. Being on the outside of the lug, it should not have anything to do with changing straps since the spring bars and tools are only affecting the inside of the lugs. That looks more like a ceramic defect called spalling or damage from impact.

Baz9614 and Foo2rama like this.
  6. shutterlife Apr 19, 2016

The ceramic is grey, just bad lighting. No idea how it happened either. Looking at the position and where it is on my wrist. I can imaging what happened. Haven't bumped or knocked it into anything. Can be from end links, as mentioned, it's from the outside of the lug, not the inside.

7. Exarkun12 Apr 19, 2016

Omg so sorry to see that. Really hope Omega takes care of you. Please keep us posted!

8. KstateSkier Apr 19, 2016

Is this our second confirmed ceramic case chip? I remember the thread for the first one, Omega replaced it as a courtesy. Makes me nervous, I might have to cross a DSOM off my want list.

jens0125 and Malik713 like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2016

Sorry to see this. Please keep us posted on what the boutique says. Fingers crossed!

10. rbob99 Apr 19, 2016

That's a tough break. I am wary of ceramic cases.

11. karalhoin Apr 19, 2016

Sorry to hear, and I guess we're all curious to hear what Omega says. Doesn't seem like the type of damage that would occur spontaneously.

Interesting timing tho, I was just about to post my review/photos on the DSOTM I got last week. :unsure:

12. GregH Apr 19, 2016

13. shutterlife Apr 19, 2016

Just read through that post. Hopefully I can get the same kind of resolution.

14. bill5959 Apr 19, 2016

When I went to engineering school back when we used punch cards to program, ceramics were pounded into us as frangible. Likely the bias of a mechanical engineering history. Anyway, I don't know what has changed to make it any different. I think ceramics are a poor idea for these cases and would argue that the manufacturer should be taking the heat here.

VicLeChic and hoppes-no9 like this.
  15. repoman Apr 19, 2016

If I had to guess, I'd say someone tried to lever a springbar off and in doing so damaged the lug. Looks pretty minor in that it won't compromise the springbar hole, and its on the underside so won't be seen. Still, will be interesting to see what Omega says.

VicLeChic, kieran and karalhoin like this.
  16. guelerct Apr 19, 2016

I chipped mine at the spring at hole during a routine strap change. The spring would not engage and I used too much force and the rest was history. Only I know it's there and I have frequent depressing flashbacks.
    Since then I have been very careful as to not repeat the mishap.

17. glownyc Apr 19, 2016

At the risk of retraumatization. could we see a picture of the chip?

18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 19, 2016

there is so little upside compared big potential downside of ceramics to make it worthwhile...
    cant recall to have ever worried about a ss case...

having said that - best of luck for the op

Perseus likes this.
  19. hoppes-no9 Apr 19, 2016

Change that to ANY ceramic watch.

20. shutterlife Apr 19, 2016

I changed the straps myself, and saw this before removing the strap. I also have a deployant clasp so I don't risk dropping the watch. So I have no idea now it happened.