Can The 2021 Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional Still Be Considered A Moonwatch?

Moonwatch:

105.012 case
Aluminum bezel
DON
dropped chronograph end
Stepped dial
Long indicies
AML
Baton hands
3 sub registers
Black dial
Manual wind chronograph

And last but not least, it's bee-u-tee-full

Coming up... Blue Origin NS-18 sub-orbital spaceflight mission... carrying James Tiberius Kirk (actor William Shatner aged 90 years strong!)
Blue Origin vice-president flight director & engineer for Human Flight Certification Review, Audrey Powers and Dr Chris Boshuizen, founder of Planet Labs, already seem to wear the new Omega Speedmaster 3861 chronograph in the official Blue Origin New Shepard 18 crew photo.
(Photo: Blue Origin)

Coming up... Blue Origin NS-18 sub-orbital spaceflight mission... carrying James Tiberius Kirk (actor William Shatner aged 90 years strong!)

Definitely not a Shat-head here, but this is pretty cool.

dial seconds track has only 3 divisions between each🤨

But the 3861 also has the same intermediate mark approach as the FOIS.

With the cal.321 having 5 beats per second and a dial with four intermediate marks, the chrono hand lands on a dial mark with each beat.

Later calibers went to 6 beats per sec, meaning the traditional dial design of 4 intermediate marks didn’t line up too elegantly with the chrono hand beats: the chrono-secondhand would only hit on the full second indices, and none of the intermediate indices.

This inelegance was sometimes, like on the FOIS, “fixed” by placing only two intermediate marks on the dial because this allowed the 6 beat/sec chrono hand to at least land on a dial mark every other beat.

The new cal.3861 retains same frequency as cal.1861, beating still at 6 times per second; and for the first time in a regular production mainline speedy the dial design now “comes standard” with 2 (rather than 4) intermediate marks.

So, both the FOIS you pictured and the new 3861 only have 2 intermediate marks.

But the 3861 also has the same intermediate mark approach as the FOIS.

With the cal.321 having 5 beats per second and a dial with four intermediate marks, the chrono hand lands on a dial mark with each beat.

Later calibers went to 6 beats per sec, meaning the traditional dial design of 4 intermediate marks didn’t line up too elegantly with the chrono hand beats: the chrono-secondhand would only hit on the full second indices, and none of the intermediate indices.

This inelegance was sometimes, like on the FOIS, “fixed” by placing only two intermediate marks on the dial because this allowed the 6 beat/sec chrono hand to at least land on a dial mark every other beat.

The new cal.3861 retains same frequency as cal.1861, beating still at 6 times per second; and for the first time in a regular production mainline speedy the dial design now “comes standard” with 2 (rather than 4) intermediate marks.

So, both the FOIS you pictured and the new 3861 only have 2 intermediate marks.

The lesser amount of the intermediate marks is all that is practicable.
Honestly, who can use more marks with any degree of certainty anyway?

The lesser amount of the intermediate marks is all that is practicable.
Honestly, who can use more marks with any degree of certainty anyway?

The FOIS/3861 dial design with only two intermediate marks still “counts” all 6 beats, insofar as the chrono hand stops between marks for every other beat.

So as between a 321 5 beat/sec with 4 intermediate marks or a later 6 beat/sec caliber with 2 intermediate marks, it’s not really about function or “use,” but instead design.

Conversely, it could be argued that a 6 beat/sec caliber on a dial design with 4 intermediate marks was - if nothing else - an OCD nightmare 😁

The FOIS/3861 dial design with only two intermediate marks still “counts” all 6 beats, insofar as the chrono hand stops between marks for every other beat.

So as between a 321 5 beat/sec with 4 intermediate marks or a later 6 beat/sec caliber with 2 intermediate marks, it’s not really about function or “use,” but instead design.

Conversely, it could be argued that a 6 beat/sec caliber on a dial design with 4 intermediate marks was - if nothing else - an OCD nightmare 😁

I reckon we could have 3 people with one of these watches each, timing the same event and the result could easily have 0.2- 0.25 seconds variation between them.

I reckon we could have 3 people with one of these watches each, timing the same event and the result could easily have 0.2- 0.25 seconds variation between them.

Now you’re gonna get me started on the Zenith Chronosport with a 1/10th second split 😁

The best image of " commercial spaceflight " : actor William Shatner (Star Trek Captain Kirk) & Blue Origin NS-18 ... October 2021

The best image of " commercial spaceflight " : actor William Shatner (Star Trek Captain Kirk) & Blue Origin NS-18 ... October 2021

...surely, the irony of Kirk wearing a Skywalker isn't lost on everyone here ;-)

Curious if Shatner worn the Moonwatch on the bracelet or it was switched out to velcro prior to the flight (?)

Blue Origin vice-president flight director & engineer for Human Flight Certification Review, Audrey Powers and Dr Chris Boshuizen, founder of Planet Labs, already seem to wear the new Omega Speedmaster 3861 chronograph in the official Blue Origin New Shepard 18 crew photo.
(Photo: Blue Origin)

The Silver Snoopy 50th would like nice with those suits. Bezos cheaped out 😁

Marketing goes a long way... these 3861 will turn up onboard the ISS
More important question is…will it turn up on the Artemis mission and therefor on the moon…to become unquestioned moonwatch?

Coming late to this discussion, but I'll add my 2 cents (literally) anyway. My Apollo 11 50th Anniversary would appear to qualify as a Moonwatch even though it has never been on a spaceflight. But my Speedmaster Racing with 9900 automatic movement, despite a similar dial appearance would not qualify as a Moonwatch. Why? Because Omega doesn't even include the word "Moon" anywhere on this watch. Nothing on the dial, nothing on the movement or rear bezel, not even anything on the strap (I've got an after-market Genteel Handmade on it now anyway). I'm not all that hung up on the moon, I just like both watches for what each is.

Coming late to this discussion, but I'll add my 2 cents (literally) anyway. My Apollo 11 50th Anniversary would appear to qualify as a Moonwatch even though it has never been on a spaceflight. But my Speedmaster Racing with 9900 automatic movement, despite a similar dial appearance would not qualify as a Moonwatch. Why? Because Omega doesn't even include the word "Moon" anywhere on this watch. Nothing on the dial, nothing on the movement or rear bezel, not even anything on the strap (I've got an after-market Genteel Handmade on it now anyway). I'm not all that hung up on the moon, I just like both watches for what each is.

Your anniversary piece has sapphire glass so it would not be qualified for EVA

Ok, after listening to Eric Wind’s @georgetownhoya Significant Watches podcast episode #6, and more specifically his comments on the missing Speedies that were tested by NASA (the segment on this story starts at around 17’35”) at the 19’23” mark, I now need to revive this thread!

Specifically, Eric is stating that the soft iron cover present in the Ed White watches tested by NASA, did play a role in the final result as he states (not sure if proven) that that soft iron cover would have helped distribute shockwaves around/away from the movement (and I am NOT talking about the magnetic waves in this particular case) during impact testing.
Even more specifically, he was referring to that little dimple in the center of the soft iron cover that would be pressed again the case back.

What is your take on this one guys?

Asking, because that would mean that the new 3861 would have strayed to far away from the initial design, despite the fact that the 3861 cal. is resistant to magnetic fields.

Thoughts!?
Edited:

Your anniversary piece has sapphire glass so it would not be qualified for EVA

Sapphire would present less of a problem for EVA if smashed and more of a problem inside the vehicle in microgravity. Outside it would just float off, inside some tiny shards might float around just waiting to be inhaled by someone.

Sapphire would present less of a problem for EVA if smashed and more of a problem inside the vehicle in microgravity. Outside it would just float off, inside some tiny shards might float around just waiting to be inhaled by someone.

While Hesalite may have some beneficial failure mode characteristics, it was a lucky coincidence and not part of the selection or test criteria for the Speedmaster.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/sha...nasa-selection-myth-maybe.91611/#post-1187635