Can The 2021 Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional Still Be Considered A Moonwatch?

There may be some merit in this line of thinking👍
But it could ruin the whole party🙁

Apollo VIII never landed on the moon but it may have been the most important mission to get to the moon landing. To say that only the missions where people walked on the moon count means excluding Apollo VIII from the mission to the moon.

Similarly we could apply this to the watches. (It's an imperfect analogy).

NASA is now commercial space / we are entering a new ball game as Mr Shatner is about to prove... anyway NASA is and always has also been the Government..

I wonder how much splitting off the space force has impacted NASA. NASA used to be more about satellites and supporting the military and other intelligence agencies than it was about the moon landing. It still supports deep space exploration but without the military component, it needs that new commercial space mission and funding.

Okay, movements, not the whole wristwatch.

"there were Accutron movements used on the Moon – as a matter of fact, they're still up there; they were used as long duration master timers for seismographic experiments place by Apollo 11, Apollo 12, and Apollo 14. Accutron movements had a very long history of use as timing devices in satellites, going all the way back to Explorer 7, in 1959 (there was one aboard Explorer 6 as well but that spacecraft exploded on launch). And one fascinating little-known fact is that there were mechanical Bulova movements used on the Moon as well. Apollo 16 and Apollo 17 both had seismic experiment packages as well."

Also an accutron railroad watch used on Apollo-soyuz
https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-accutron-from-the-rail-roads-to-apollo-soyuz.102181/

In fact the Accutron Astronaut tuning fork wristwatch has been worn by 8 of the 12 NASA testpilots who flew the hypersonic X-15 rocket-powered aircraft... on the Mercury-9 flight, on the Gemini III & Gemini V spaceflight missions... but never on an Apollo flight, although Bulova had clocks in the cockpit panels of Gemini and Apollo spacecraft !
To be complete: Norman Thagard also wore an Accutron Astronaut on STS-7 in 1983 and Jeffrey Hoffman wore an open dial SpaceView on STS 51-D in 1985...
https://moonwatchuniverse.tumblr.com/archive

Would that include the onboard clock on Eagle which stopped working and Neil Armstrong had to leave his Speedy on board the LM as a backup?

In fact the Accutron Astronaut tuning fork wristwatch has been worn by 8 of the 12 NASA testpilots who flew the hypersonic X-15 rocket-powered aircraft... on the Mercury-9 flight, on the Gemini III & Gemini V spaceflight missions... but never on an Apollo flight, although Bulova had clocks in the cockpit panels of Gemini and Apollo spacecraft !
To be complete: Norman Thagard also wore an Accutron Astronaut on STS-7 in 1983 and Jeffrey Hoffman wore an open dial SpaceView on STS 51-D in 1985...
https://moonwatchuniverse.tumblr.com/archive
Apparently Bulova had an agreement of some sort with NASA for the Lunar watch, but that has now ended and the watch is set to be discontinued.

not able to find what movement is in that bulova chronograph

to my limited knowledge, bulova is an american company at that time (now own by citizen japan), and there has been no known american-made chronograph movement around that time frame. suspect there is an outsourced, publicly undisclosed swiss movement in it. bulova stand point at that time was "buy america" which may not add up themselves

not able to find what movement is in that bulova chronograph

to my limited knowledge, bulova is an american company at that time (now own by citizen japan), and there has been no known american-made chronograph movement around that time frame. suspect there is an outsourced, publicly undisclosed swiss movement in it. bulova stand point at that time was "buy america" which may not add up themselves

You may like this: https://wornandwound.com/bulova-used-universal-geneve-get-moon-can-get-one-today/

that's what my suspicion sort of

bottom line is american is not known (yet) for strong interest in manufacturing the relatively smaller precision mechanisms - including chronograph watch, camera, printing machine, lathe, turntable, cassette deck, fuel injector, car transmission, small displacement internal combustion engine with high compression ratio, acoustic piano, hi-fidelity speaker, high-end microphone, headphone; which are usually better let german/swiss/japan counterparts to take care of
Edited:

Bottom line is the 3861 is a Moonwatch.

And part of the long lineage of Moonwatches...

.... ...

How did you come to this conclusion? ... 😀

I’d like to see where Omega corporate publicly stated that the 3861 retains the “endorsement of NASA.” (I believe separately Omega corporate has said they subjected the 3861 to the standardized tests, etc.)

An OB salesperson, in contrast, have been known to say all kinds of things.

That much I do understand: though the distinction here, I think, is that those prior “update” versions have been issued by NASA to its astronauts and taken on missions/EVAs/etc., no?

For the reasons you state, it seems likely NASA may do the same in the future with the 3861, but that nonetheless remains to be seen in the future.

This doesn’t in any way diminish the 3861 as an incredible watch; but it does separate perhaps the marketing from the (present) facts.

The Shuttle had design flaws / became seen as an unsafe launch risk. From 2011 Until 2020 NASA left the manned flight club. That is a long time off the pitch. Do we consider it therefore endorsed the Soyuz programme (with a polite historical nod to Apollo-Soyuz). A lot of Speedmasters flying / still flying on the Soyuz ISS supply missions. Of course NASA is now back in the game but with commercial third party private vehicles. The terms of reference have moved a lot regarding who needs to endorse the Moonwatch. Also I think the fact next week that a 90 year old can go into space (hopefully safely) and return using mostly re-usable technology is a step forward in terms of ambition, safety and relative costs for future space exploration - NASA took a huge gamble with Jonn Glenn looking back.
Despite people’s political bias I for one don’t mind that Blue Origin seem to have endorsed Omega / 3861 and it might be healthy that they appear to be less cosy with the powers that be - we know what NASA can be like with budgets and tax dollars .... Mars direct anyone....

is it a moonwatch, or not? 😉😒

btw, compare to a "moonwatch"
bezel is wrong😵‍💫
hands are wrong🙄
lugs look over polished😁
dial seconds track has only 3 divisions between each🤨
no crown guard👍
not a step dial🤔

::rimshot::so the new 3861 is more "moonwatch" (adjective) than this reference with 1861?
Edited:

And part of the long lineage of Moonwatches...
If Omega says so, then it must be a Moonwatch. However, what most of us would like to know is how they justify that title. Is that title based purely on the fact that it looks the same and is part of a long line of Moonwatches? Or is it because the movement a descendant of Cal 321? Or is it based on NASA flight qualification or that the watch has been into space? Only Omega can answer these questions and put us out of our misery. And even then, there will be those among us who will disagree with Omega.

is it a moonwatch, or not? 😉😒

btw, compare to a "moonwatch"
bezel is wrong😵‍💫
hands are wrong🙄
lugs look over polished😁
dial seconds track has only 3 divisions between each🤨
no crown guard👍
not a step dial🤔

::rimshot::so the new 3861 is more "moonwatch" (adjective) than this reference

Well done sir👍

If Omega says so, then it must be a Moonwatch. However, what most of us would like to know is how they justify that title. Is that title based purely on the fact that it looks the same and is part of a long line of Moonwatches? Or is it because the movement a descendant of Cal 321? Or is it based on NASA flight qualification or that the watch has been into space? Only Omega can answer these questions and put us out of our misery. And even then, there will be those among us who will disagree with Omega.
Disagree with Omega all you like, it's a Moonwatch and hopefully will be worn in Space and on the Moon again.

Kudos to Omega for inventing the Moonwatch trademark. If Omega calls a watch Moonwatch then it is an "Omega Moonwatch" to me. FWIW among the various Omega Moonwatch versions my preferred ones are 105.012 and 145.012, at least until astronauts land on the moon again.

Kudos to Omega for inventing the Moonwatch trademark. If Omega calls a watch Moonwatch then it is an "Omega Moonwatch" to me. FWIW among the various Omega Moonwatch versions my preferred ones are 105.012 and 145.012, at least until astronauts land on the moon again.

I am sure that is a 145.012 on your Avatar 😗

105.012 and 145.012, .
👍
i believe
ck2915, ck2998 not yet moon watch
145.022-7x, 145.0022, 35xx.50, 3xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xxx no longer moon watch

how about 145.022-6x ? i m not sure