Forums Latest Members

The Accutron...From the Rail Roads to Apollo Soyuz...

1. TLIGuy Sep 24, 2019

Here is a new one I had never seen before....

While not the same experiment, the set-up is similar to the Apollo 17 Heat Flow Experiment where a wrist watch was used for timing, but in this instance, an Accutron Rail Road watch was used for experiment timing.

Here is an image of the experiment taken onboard the Apollo capsule during the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in July 1975.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 5.23.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 5.22.45 PM.png

Here is two images from the Electrophoresis technology: Experiment MA-01 report where I was able to locate information on the timing set-up.

19780009164_0005.jpg

19780009164_0006.jpg After a quick ebay scan and payment of $110 this cool little watch is a great addition to the collection. This 1974 Rail Road Accutron is humming along nicely only loosing about 1 sec per day after all these years. While this case has a very slight variation from the one used, the dial set-up is the same as the experiment watch which seems to vary a bit over the different Rail Road models produced during this time period.

IMG_4813.JPG

2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 24, 2019

Another interesting find !

3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 1, 2020

4. Waltesefalcon Sep 1, 2020

Accutrons are fascinating watches, I love the design that went into the movements and the history.

SpeedyPhill and pdxleaf like this.
  5. pdxleaf ... Sep 1, 2020

Great info. Also an accutron and space fan so truly appreciative.

EDIT: never mind. I see you already noted the variation.

The dials are really clean on these. After looking at a few (since you brought it to our attention) they almost look like redials. Must be the lack of lume. Plus the 218 movement is more robust. These will be a nice addition. Thanks again.

EDIT 2: thanks for the book suggestions.
    These accutrons seem to generate a fair amount of passion, more so than other brands. Lots of arguments in forums. Little wierd.

I recently bought an original owner 1963 (actually from the son.) His dad liked it because of the accuracy and modern design. Accutrons really made an impact.

Edited Sep 1, 2020
    Omegafanman and SpeedyPhill like this.
  6. Professor Sep 1, 2020

Could the vibration help prevent debris from settling on the dial?

Apparently the Soviets tried to duplicate the Accutron, with very limited success.
    I've seen non working Soviet models for sale fairly cheaply considering their rarity, but I seriously doubt that spare parts could be found.

7. pdxleaf ... Sep 1, 2020

Not sure about the impact of vibration.

When watchmakers say they work on everything except Soviet and Russian watches you gotta worry about parts. Rarity is part of the appeal so I guess this comes with the territory.

8. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Feb 1, 2022

2022_MoonwatchUniverse.jpg
    There's a Time & Place for everything but MoonwatchUniverse's new article series are entitled "Of Time and Space"
    Of course we had to begin with a photo sereis selection on the subject of the sleek design microsinic crown-less Accutron Astronaut GMT pilot watch as worn by X-15 testpilots, CIA-pilots and NASA astronauts.
    (Photo: MoonwatchUniverse)
    https://moonwatchuniverse.tumblr.com/archive

Waltesefalcon, DaveK and Omegafanman like this.
  9. Canuck Feb 1, 2022

On my wrist for the last week. I’m the third owner, but I have worn it more that the first two wore it. The first really big success in the field of railroad approved wrist watches. The 214 Railroader from 1965.

AD77B7A6-283E-419B-81FB-9380E5B5E725.jpeg

Waltesefalcon, SpeedyPhill and DaveK like this.
  10. MrZZeroG Jul 30, 2022

As crazy as it may seem, I own the watch in that picture. I worked in the NASA/MSFC Space Sciences Laboratory from 87-99 and it was given to me as a gift before I took an early retirement. I was looking online for photos of the electrophoresis unit and stumbled across this forum. I wish I could find that book that someone replied with as it looks amazing!

The band is something I just picked up - that was lost decade or so before I received it. I was there when we unscrewed it from the the payload…

Thanks for posting!

E5AD9D76-4E3A-4331-89C9-C06BC701823F.jpeg
    Edited Dec 5, 2022
  11. pdxleaf ... Jul 30, 2022

Holy Smoly, Oly!

Many thanks for posting and joining. Seriously.

Are you aware of the decision process for choosing that particular watch?

Edited Jul 30, 2022
    DaveK and MrZZeroG like this.
  12. MrZZeroG Jul 30, 2022

Thanks. I’m not sure if I can post. I’m getting some “spam contact admins” message when I try to save an edit. I think the photo is inserted now, but there’s some dangling “yea” at the end of the message I can’t seem to delete.

the reason? I think primarily the way it goes with government and space flight hardware is it’s always easier to get something approved that already flew than to put something new thorough. It’s why we created the x-prize (and ZeroG), so that government wasn’t the sole arbitrator of space. In a mature bureaucracy, there’s a rule against everything. The one second a day didn’t matter as much in terms of accuracy of that payload. The data was a series of photographs.

Hope that helps! It’s great that there’s passion for this stuff and I’m so glad that someone posted this.

DaveK and pdxleaf like this.
  13. TLIGuy Jul 30, 2022

Welcome and glad you stumbled across the posting. Please share anything else you may recall about the watch and it use.

MrZZeroG and pdxleaf like this.
  14. pdxleaf ... Jul 30, 2022

Would you photograph the caseback, rear of the watch?

Have you just changed batteries over the years or had it serviced? Any other stories from anyone who may have worked on the ASTP?

I recently bought a badge in an auctiin from the launch.. i believe it belonged to a [edit] Mr. Conran Nagel?
    20220729_150329.jpg

Edit: here's my watch. Looks like I'll need to start wearing it.

Your case is different and your date has a black background with white numeral. Yours also doesn't have 'Bulova' written on the dial. I guess i need to keep looking for the correct reference.
    20220730_202040.jpg 20220730_202057.jpg

Edited Jul 30, 2022
    TLIGuy and MrZZeroG like this.
  15. MrZZeroG Jul 30, 2022

Well most of the microgravity experiments were managed by my lab, but I wasn’t there at that time. Vanderhoff went on to do the monodisperse latex reactor on shuttle. I worked later with Deke Slayton (he was a funny man) and Tom Stafford. Owen Garriot is still in Huntsville and flew Skylab. His son, Richard Garriot was both an early investor in startups I did Space Adventures and ZeroG and he eventually flew as one of our customers - becoming a father/son in space first.

I was lab lead for the KC-135 program so flew on that for 12 years and that’s why I had to create a private company to do it. More people did science so they could fly than flew to do science. The IEF sat in a dingy corridor between a clean room and a lab with some of my other payload stuff. I can’t remember why it was being excessed or disposed of, but my supervisor gave me the watch.

The other priceless thing I have came from the German Rocket team here - an original explorer 1 spun, titanium nosecone. They all signed it for me and my mentor, Burt Rutan, signed it when he was here to meet the Germans. I just returned from a weekend with him as he’s writing an autobiography and wanted to interview me on our time together. It’s just incredible to have lived through such an amazing time and had all these people as good friends.

As for the watch, I pulled it out due to our conversation last weekend about the German rocket team. I’d like to find an original band for it. I just ordered a kit to take the back off. It has such a great sound, but it sucks batteries down fast. The memorabilia you have from the launch is very cool.

here’s the back of the watch.

thanks again for posting all this.

E3A87E40-FA0A-48CE-80A9-ADD2C8980985.jpeg
    Waltesefalcon, TDBK, TLIGuy and 2 others like this.
  16. Pianotuna Jul 31, 2022

What a couple of great stories. Great post and a huge surprise thrown in. Brilliant!

MrZZeroG likes this.