Forums Latest Members

The Accutron...From the Rail Roads to Apollo Soyuz...

1. TLIGuy Sep 24, 2019

Here is a new one I had never seen before....

While not the same experiment, the set-up is similar to the Apollo 17 Heat Flow Experiment where a wrist watch was used for timing, but in this instance, an Accutron Rail Road watch was used for experiment timing.

Here is an image of the experiment taken onboard the Apollo capsule during the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in July 1975.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 5.23.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 5.22.45 PM.png

Here is two images from the Electrophoresis technology: Experiment MA-01 report where I was able to locate information on the timing set-up.

19780009164_0005.jpg

19780009164_0006.jpg After a quick ebay scan and payment of $110 this cool little watch is a great addition to the collection. This 1974 Rail Road Accutron is humming along nicely only loosing about 1 sec per day after all these years. While this case has a very slight variation from the one used, the dial set-up is the same as the experiment watch which seems to vary a bit over the different Rail Road models produced during this time period.

IMG_4813.JPG

2. SpeedyPhill asked ages ago but no longer interested Sep 24, 2019

Another interesting find !

3. SpeedyPhill asked ages ago but no longer interested Sep 1, 2020

4. Waltesefalcon Sep 1, 2020

Accutrons are fascinating watches, I love the design that went into the movements and the history.

SpeedyPhill and pdxleaf like this.
  5. pdxleaf Capricious-Watch-Slave Sep 1, 2020

Great info. Also an accutron and space fan so truly appreciative.

EDIT: never mind. I see you already noted the variation.

The dials are really clean on these. After looking at a few (since you brought it to our attention) they almost look like redials. Must be the lack of lume. Plus the 218 movement is more robust. These will be a nice addition. Thanks again.

EDIT 2: thanks for the book suggestions.
    These accutrons seem to generate a fair amount of passion, more so than other brands. Lots of arguments in forums. Little wierd.

I recently bought an original owner 1963 (actually from the son.) His dad liked it because of the accuracy and modern design. Accutrons really made an impact.

Edited Sep 1, 2020
    Omegafanman and SpeedyPhill like this.
  6. Professor Sep 1, 2020

Could the vibration help prevent debris from settling on the dial?

Apparently the Soviets tried to duplicate the Accutron, with very limited success.
    I've seen non working Soviet models for sale fairly cheaply considering their rarity, but I seriously doubt that spare parts could be found.

7. pdxleaf Capricious-Watch-Slave Sep 1, 2020

Not sure about the impact of vibration.

When watchmakers say they work on everything except Soviet and Russian watches you gotta worry about parts. Rarity is part of the appeal so I guess this comes with the territory.

8. SpeedyPhill asked ages ago but no longer interested Feb 1, 2022

2022_MoonwatchUniverse.jpg
    There's a Time & Place for everything but MoonwatchUniverse's new article series are entitled "Of Time and Space"
    Of course we had to begin with a photo sereis selection on the subject of the sleek design microsinic crown-less Accutron Astronaut GMT pilot watch as worn by X-15 testpilots, CIA-pilots and NASA astronauts.
    (Photo: MoonwatchUniverse)
    https://moonwatchuniverse.tumblr.com/archive

Omegafanman likes this.
  9. Canuck Feb 1, 2022

On my wrist for the last week. I’m the third owner, but I have worn it more that the first two wore it. The first really big success in the field of railroad approved wrist watches. The 214 Railroader from 1965.

AD77B7A6-283E-419B-81FB-9380E5B5E725.jpeg

Waltesefalcon, SpeedyPhill and DaveK like this.