Forums Latest Members

Buyer's remorse, or the wrong choice Planet Ocean?

1. MrAnderson Jul 11, 2020

Dear all. I have been an avid user of this forum for many years but have never felt the need to post. My love of omega goes back some 20 years, with my first purchase of a Peter Blake Seamaster.

After a lot of deliberation, I bought a Planet Ocean this week (215.30.46.51.99.001). it is a fantastic watch, and felt by far the best choice for me at the time as it's fairly low key, but also has colourful touches with the orange section of the bezel.

However, I have since had a nagging feeling I might have been happier with the full orange version (215.30.46.51.99.001). I was not able to compare this on the day I purchased the black version, but it has been winking at me in another jeweller’s window for the past week!

My rationale for going for the darker bezel was a) it felt more versatile in terms of wearing at work, on vacation, etc; and b) I wasn’t sure I had the confidence to style out the more striking orange.

I know the whole “black vs orange” debate is a perennial, but I just wondered if any other forum members had been down this route, and if their decision to go for a more subdued look paid off in the end?

Thankfully, I have a forgiving AD who might just let me do an exchange, but am very much “on the fence” at this point.

Thank you again for a great and informative forum, which although only as a “lurker”, I visit and enjoy daily.

2. AntonisCy Jul 11, 2020

The references you posted are the same. I get that you are talking about the black chrono vs the new grey with the orange bezel. I think its a matter of taste. I like the lumed bezel on the orange model but i would go with the black because orange doesn't fit with everything.

I think an all black one with the lumed bezel would be perfect. I am guessing that will be the next generation PO Chrono.

Foo2rama and MrAnderson like this.
  3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jul 11, 2020

Posting pictures might help, save us having to go and look up the reference numbers.

DaveK likes this.
  4. MrAnderson Jul 11, 2020

Good point! Apologies. Here are the two models. The first two images are of the watch I currently own; the third is the one I'm considering.

IMG_20200711_140432.jpg IMG_20200711_140338.jpg orange.jpeg
    Parminio, sean2k and wolfe44 like this.
  5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 11, 2020

Both look good. It's really all about what you think of them when they're on your wrist...

MrAnderson likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 11, 2020

Know several that have been the opposite and felt the all orange was too much after a few months.

MrAnderson likes this.
  7. RonJ Jul 11, 2020

it's a matter of personal taste and both watches look great.

I prefer the watch you currently own though.
    One difference that catches my eye is the black Date Number on the bottom of the dial versus the white Date Number.
    And, I like the two colors on the bezel (orange and black).

But, I can also see why some people would prefer the other more-orange watch.

MrAnderson likes this.
  8. Passover Jul 11, 2020

+1 for the one you own :thumbsup:

MrAnderson likes this.
  9. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jul 11, 2020

Yep, another +1 for your current watch. I prefer the contrast.

MrAnderson likes this.
  10. gpstar Jul 11, 2020

I remember reading how somebody answered a similar question a few years ago on another forum.

Year 1-3 Regret, wished it was a (INSERT NAME OF ANOTHER WATCH)
    Year 3-5 Complacent, found it to be a good watch, but desired other watches.
    Year 6-7 Appreciation and admiration for time keeping and overall how well the watch has aged.

OmegaP99, Martin_J_N, wolfe44 and 4 others like this.
  11. MrAnderson Jul 11, 2020

Thanks for the replies - I value your opinions - really helpful :thumbsup:

STANDY likes this.
  12. MrAnderson Jul 11, 2020

Just as a side note, as it's a fairly new release, I've not been able to read too many reviews of the newer all-orange ceramic PO. In the flesh, it's certainly lighter in tone than the previous version with the aluminium bezel.

I've also only seen the new one with a grey dial/orange combo.

Others will be way more knowlegable about it than me, but I remember the previous version of the PO came with the option of an orange bezel (aluminium) and black dial.

previous.jpg
  13. dinexus Jul 11, 2020

The black is definitely more 'classic,' as those have been the tones of the Planet Ocean since it launched a little over a decade ago, but it's not about what the community thinks – it's about what gives you the most joy. "What the heart wants is what the heart wants" is something I'd heed over the opinions of a bunch of strangers ;)

JES46, MrAnderson and ChiefMark like this.
  14. ChiefMark Jul 11, 2020

+1 for the watch on your wrist. I might be biased...
    FC330E11-E320-4176-841C-0001A7AE44F2.jpeg

wolfe44 and MrAnderson like this.
  15. MrAnderson Jul 11, 2020

This really is helpful! Actually therapeutic :)

16. Drb477 Jul 11, 2020

Prefer the one you got as well.

MrAnderson likes this.
  17. WatchTimes Jul 11, 2020

I like the one you already have myself and I am an orange fan.
    If you have a large collection I could see having the second but if you only have one or two watches Id much rather the first.

Syrte, wolfe44 and MrAnderson like this.
  18. RonJ Jul 11, 2020

The more I study the pictures of your current watch, the more details I notice.

I like the solid metallic triangle at the top of the bezel compared to the orange-filled one on the orange watch.
    Also, the black ring on the pusher knobs is a more subtle look than the orange rings on the pusher knobs.
    And, the orange lettering on the black dial stands out better than the same lettering on the dark gray dial.

There is a lot to appreciate in both watches but the details and contrast of your current watch makes it slightly better IMHO.

19. MrAnderson Jul 11, 2020

Agree wholeheartedly :). I think what's probably going on here is that buying this watch marks a fairly significant age milestone for me, and the "more exotic" (in my mind) all-orange version of the PO aspires to my idea of retiring, spending most of the day wearing a short sleeved linen shirt, sitting in the sunshine, enjoying life - haha. As it is, I'm currently going to be spending most days working, sat behind a desk, or in meetings. Not that I'm saying the black and orange version doesn't cover all of that too, just feels more versatile given my current lifestyle. Goes without saying that they are both beautiful watches.

It's been an absolute pleasure though hearing what others on here think, and getting some really informed opinions :)

Much appreciated

Edited Jul 11, 2020
  20. MrAnderson Jul 11, 2020

Wow, wonderful observations on the detail - thank you.

Edited Jul 11, 2020