Forums Latest Members
  1. tikkathree Jun 30, 2019

I promise I'm going to read all of this thread https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-flightmaster-thread.36423/
    but in trying to find a subdial chrono with independent GMT hands and, if possible, a 12 or 24 hour bezel I keep coming back to the Flightmaster.

I grew up with the Seiko Flightmaster, I know it's the same in name and dial complexity and not much else and I love busy chronos. I have most if not all Seiko 7T34 Flightmaster dial/colour/case permutations ever made if ever proof were needed.

I'm very comfy with period pieces and this isn't an everyday wear requirement so...

why should I not go with an Omega Flightmaster?
    would you trust EBay?
    should I wait for one to pop up here?

Etp095 likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 30, 2019

Edited Jun 30, 2019
    Etp095 and tikkathree like this.
  3. FreelanceWriter Jun 30, 2019

-Size might be an issue if you don't want a big watch, particularly in height, although less so for the 145.013 case than the other two cases.

-If you plan to use the bezel a lot, you should try to get your hands on one in the flesh before deciding. It's a fantastic-looking design, but I find that the placement of the bezel crown at 8:00 makes it much more awkward and inconvenient to operate than a traditional external bezel, especially if it's newly-overhauled or NOS, unless you happen to wear watches on your right arm..

-It's a very noticeable watch that will draw the attention, interest, and questions, even from people who normally don't notice watches.

-I've bought two from eBay sellers and consider it safe as long as you ask all the right questions through the messaging system so the responses (automatically) become part of the item description and/or cancel out anything to the contrary in the item description.

-It's not a watch that you'd ever want to wear in water.

-Don't expect the lume to be working unless you install NOS hands, and even they won't hold a charge that's comparable to a modern watch; at best, they'll be faintly visible 8 hours after a full charge. Even if you find a NOS dial, it probably won't hold a charge. You'd have to ask the seller to test that for you, which they probably won't do unless the package has already been unsealed.

4. Taybharr Jun 30, 2019

I wouldn't normally discourage you from buying a flightmaster, as they are the embodiment of 70s cool (introduced in '69).

But since you asked "Why should I not go with a Flightmaster?" I'll merely say that I have heard that people who buy them are sometimes disappointed that they never actually wear them due to the sheer size of them. While we all enjoy a full watch box, if a watch goes unworn, it can be difficult to fully enjoy it.

5. 77deluxe Jun 30, 2019

You can never go wrong with a good flightmaster.

MTROIS and donashby like this.
  6. Taybharr Jun 30, 2019

Just to emphasize, I agree with the above, just adding a touch of devil's advocate

77deluxe likes this.
  7. hanky6 Jun 30, 2019

I have a Flightmaster 145.026 transitional and I was hesitant about the size as well, especially compared to the Speedmaster that I normally wear.
    But I do not find that it wears bigger than the Speedmaster.
    So I say go for it and enjoy a superb watch.
    Love mine
    837A12CE-3413-48FD-81A7-52051B294D2D.jpeg

8. FreelanceWriter Jun 30, 2019

That's why I sold the first 911 that I bought: it had been just sitting on my desk like a very expensive paperweight for almost a year. I rarely wore it instead of a Speedy because I don't often have use for a 2nd TZ function and the awkwardness of the bezel crown made it more like a huge, more-conspicuous and colorful Speedy.

Later, I regretted selling it, largely because it was just such a perfect NOS-quality example and I missed having one, so I started looking around for another one. I'd been wondering whether there were any 911s in 145.013 cases when one just happened to pop up on eBay, and from my favorite type of seller: obviously a legit general seller but with no history of selling expensive watches who just came into possession of one or wanted to sell the one good watch he/she owned for whatever reason.

I still don't use the 2nd TZ or bezel very much, but I wear it a lot more often because the thinner 145.013 case really does make a noticeable difference to me and seems better-matched to its 1162 bracelet than the 145.036 did, at least to me.

Taybharr and tikkathree like this.
  9. hanky6 Jun 30, 2019

@tikkathree get this book so you know what you are looking at when you decide to buy a Flightmaster.
    9AE307E1-B426-4625-A6B6-43DC903A072D.jpeg

63TR4, kov, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  10. FreelanceWriter Jun 30, 2019

Where'd you take that photo...Joe Namath's 1970 apartment?
    NamathRug.jpg

AveConscientia, DaveK, MTROIS and 3 others like this.
  11. tikkathree Jun 30, 2019

Thanks for your time and trouble and in response:

Bezel use: probably infrequent but who can tell?

Water: not a serious risk.

Lume: I'd expect "period/decayed" lume.

EBay: due diligence and staying 101% within the rules is what I'd expect to be doing.

Choosing the right one then? Buy the best I can afford or that old thing of "buy the seller"?

12. tyrantlizardrex Jun 30, 2019

As someone who owns four of them, my only question is - where are yours? ;)

13. FreelanceWriter Jun 30, 2019

I've never worried about buying the seller because if you cover yourself with the right questions and pay through PayPal and eBay, you're protected by eBay's policies even when the seller doesn't offer returns. There's a pretty nice 145.026 right now for slightly under $2,000 USD, which is probably the best deal you're going to find on anything that doesn't need substantial work; and the seller offers 30 days to return.
    If it were me, I'd jump on it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-STAINLESS-STEEL-MENs-FLIGHTMASTER-WATCH-145-026/233271474650?hash=item36501039da:g:tF0AAOSw~BxdFEM1 .From what I've seen, these don't move that fast on eBay. That box set is for a modern Speedy, but you can probably flip it for at least the $70 shipping fee on the watch.

I usually ask sellers to confirm that the chronograph function works and resets properly, how accurate the watch is, and how long it runs on a full wind. If sellers who don't offer returns respond with an attitude or refuse to run those basic tests for me, I walk; but when they offer returns, I don't worry about it. This one says it's +7 sec/12 hours, which isn't bad, but he doesn't say how long it runs on a full wind. Run your own tests on it when you get it and if everything works, you probably got a good deal. If it has any issues, you even have enough time to send this one to Official Time Watch in Utah for an overhaul estimate, which will be in the neighborhood of $500 USD. (Just don't post about that publicly unless or until you decide to keep it.) Tell Leo that you must have the estimate and the watch back in time to return it to the seller within 30 days if you opt against having it serviced. IMO, the other option is to be prepared to spend roughly $3,000 USD for one that's already been fully overhauled and/or comes with the seller's representation that it's working perfectly (including specific answers to the questions I suggested).

Not sure that's directed at me, but I'm not a big picture taker, mainly because I barely use a cell phone at all and still use my wife's old Razor. When I need to take a photo, I have to borrow her current phone and I figure people probably don't need to see the same few photos I've taken of my watches more than once. This is my current collection including my 911 in the 145.013 case. If you want to see it after service, I think those photos are on p. 20 of The Flightmaster thread. Aside from having had the 911 overhauled and the case finish restored, the only other change to the collection is that when I found a gold-plated bracelet for my wife's Dynamic, I put the blue leather aftermarket strap on her stainless steel.
    Full Collection.jpg

Edited Jun 30, 2019
    AveConscientia and DaveK like this.
  14. Taybharr Jun 30, 2019

Good general eBay advice: ask enough questions so you’re covered if something goes wrong. That eBay Flighty looks nice :thumbsup:

tikkathree likes this.
  15. tyrantlizardrex Jul 1, 2019

16. tikkathree Jul 1, 2019

Excellent response thank you very much.
    I always ask whether all functions operate correctly, everything sets, resets, flips over as the maker intended. Guess I've never asked whether a watch runs for its stated power reserve and, thinking back, I might not own the PO I do had I done so. (Note to self: get that one booked in for service somewhere.)

Utah is a bit far for me most of the time which is a real pity because I have ancestry and living relatives in both Utah and Wyoming whom I only discovered in 2018.

Good tip about Flightmasters not moving quickly on EBay as a rule of thumb: for an oik at the bottom of the learning curve: it can take some of the self-imposed urgency out of the equation. Thank you. This will happen.

17. tikkathree Jul 1, 2019

And do I do someone a service by buying it here or do I dive straight into EBay/Amazon?

18. FreelanceWriter Jul 1, 2019

No prob.
    Too far to ship? (Because I think you could ship from almost anywhere on the planet and still spend less in total than either Omega or other comparable independent watchmakers.)

If it were me, I'd probably grab that one I linked. You're safe as long as you pay through eBay/PayPal and don't deviate at all from regular eBay payment method (eg. no friends & family, etc.)

19. tikkathree Jul 1, 2019

I just wondered why you mentioned Utah really... with family in Wellsville and in/around Salt Lake City it was an odd coincidence.

My "buying it here" question related to THE BOOK. The watch I have in hand......shhh!

20. FreelanceWriter Jul 1, 2019

I mentioned Utah because that's where Official Watch Time happens to be located. When I was researching trustworthy, high-quality service centers last year, their price for a complete overhaul and case refinishing was roughly half Omega's and almost that much cheaper than that of all of the trustworthy independent watchmakers I'd contacted. The transaction couldn't have been smoother or more professional and confidence-inspiring and, notwithstanding the lousy quality of (all of) my photos (sorry), I think the photos that I posted (along with the related paperwork and breakdown of the charges) in The Flightmaster Thread are sufficient evidence of great results. The next time I need work on any Omega, it's going right back to Utah.

Regarding the book, I got it for $135 on eBay, which is the best price that I've found for it.

tikkathree likes this.