Forums Latest Members

Bought a watch today and seller wanted to cancel because he listed it accidently to low!?!

1. Lurk41 May 14, 2019

More and more vendors seem to do that. It is one of the things I am looking for in the feedbacks. I also decided to not bid on several watches that I saw as "sold" (either because I was following the sale, or because it appeared in a "sold items" search) then resurface one or 2 days later by the same vendor...

@Shabbaz if the price was low but "realistic" (= not missing a 0 or something like that), then I'd ask for some kind of compensation. For example, I'll try to ask for a price still below market price but less painfull for him. Or if he is a pro and has an ebay shop, I'd check for something that I am interested in in his shop and ask for a discount.

Funny thing about watches and cancellation: I bought one yesterday morning, then I asked for cancellation :D The reason was I messed up a bit with Paypal and kept my default credit card, which is in €, instead of changing it to the other one, in £ (item price was in £). I asked if we could perform a cancellation and resend a paypal bill, so I can select the correct credit card and avoid the currency change fees (about 30€). I did not know that, in that case, ebay/paypal do not reimburse the fees to the seller, but she kindly explain me that. Of course, I accepted to keep it this way, even if it costs me 30€ more than it would have if I had pay attention of what I was doing with Paypal...
    But that did not stop here, the crazy part came after that... The seller was so kind, she told me that she scheduled to go in vacation this summer in the Euro zone, and if I'd like, that she can keep a 10 euro bill and sent it to me when she'll come back in order to participate in the exchange fees! It was very nice of her, and of course I decline the offer. My mistake, my money

Eve, Lonestar, KingCrouchy and 2 others like this.
  2. krogerfoot May 14, 2019

You were right and you did the right thing. It's not obviously an erroneous price, and no one could blame you for standing on principle, but many of us have had good dealings with that seller. Beating him out of a few hundred dollars because of a typo wouldn't say anything good about the buyer. Letting an honest mistake go doesn't cost anything, and if I were the seller, I would be disposed to return the favor to you if I could. Disappointing, but "it had the wrong price tag on it and I was out the door before they knew what hit them" isn't a great watch story .

inchpincher, Lurk41 and Shabbaz like this.
  3. whyboddau May 17, 2019

Closer did that to me too! I bought and paid for a limited speedy and got cancelled hours later citing incorrect price. Chapped my hide! They relisted an hour later at the “correct” price. Annoying I know. But it was an almost 3k difference so I’m not pushing it.

Shabbaz likes this.
  4. JwRosenthal May 17, 2019

What these guys don’t really think about is that we all talk in these communities- enough stories like this and their regular customer base may shrink and they would have to rely on walk-in one timers. I’ve never purchased from Closer, but stories like this may make me blow by his listings just becuase.
    We used to say in retail- one happy customer tells 3 people, 1 unhappy customer tells 10.

Lurk41 and Shabbaz like this.
  5. whyboddau May 21, 2019

Unfortunately some of these guys have quite a bit of selling power and brush off the negative. I’m waiting to be able to leave feedback btw. eBay puts a hold on feedback for cancelled sales. That’s so weird!

6. larryganz The cable guy May 21, 2019

Why not offer a little more money to keep the deal?

7. fskywalker May 22, 2019

Looked good!

8. Shabbaz May 22, 2019

I did... But he wanted more... No problem. On to the next. The hunt is one of the reasons I enjoy collecting...

chronoboy64 likes this.
  9. larryganz The cable guy May 22, 2019

Do you think he would have canceled it without your permission even if you sent him the extra money? I think the BOR bracelet was worth a good bit of his price.

10. dputydwg1 May 22, 2019

For watches, Ive already made the decision not to buy any longer from outside the US and from no one who does not accept returns.

CJpickup57 likes this.
  11. Shabbaz May 22, 2019

Well. I said to him: loose the bor. Just the watch only. I have a box filled with bor's so did'nt need it. But he said no. You win some, you...

12. larryganz The cable guy May 22, 2019

So you got it for just under $600, but how much was he wanting?

13. dabbispade May 22, 2019

14. dputydwg1 May 22, 2019

they are definitely different must be coincidence

15. Shabbaz May 22, 2019

Edited May 22, 2019
  16. Shabbaz May 22, 2019

17. larryganz The cable guy May 22, 2019

And he wouldn't find a happy spot between your $598 winning bid (basically 600) and his $800 for a nice chronometer? Seems like they would meet you in the middle or something.

If it's eLady (the link above gave me a clue), they gave me a great deal on a 3572.50 last year (around $3000 + $200 for a 2-yr added warranty) and they didn't come back and say "hey, we found out that this watch was serviced at Omega less than 2 yr prior, so we want more money or you can't have the service receipt".

But still, asking for $200 more on the watch, for such a big business, doesn't make sense.

Edited May 22, 2019
    Lurk41 and Shabbaz like this.
  18. thelinendial May 22, 2019

Shabbaz, that was very nice of you. I personally have found in life, good deeds come around. Even if they don't, here's cheers to you for being an good person!

Shabbaz likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 22, 2019

Reminds me of a Moderator that made a Ebay bid of $50000 instead of $5000 for a constellation once. The term going Ashley was used for a few years
    @cicindela and @dsio would remember....

chronoboy64, blufinz52 and Shabbaz like this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 22, 2019

To quote Dominic Toretto, "Winning is winning"

Shabbaz likes this.