Forums Latest Auctions Members

Book recommendations during quarantine

1. ERBM

ERBM Mar 22, 2020

I'm hoping everyone like myself are social distancing/self isolating, so I thought it might be a good idea to throw out a question to any of the keen readers on the forum, I'm hoping there are many, to suggest any good books to read during this period of down time. Any recommendations welcome, just want to get some new ideas and hopefully provoke some discussion with members on their favourite books.

2. Shabbaz

Shabbaz Mar 22, 2020

Anne Frank

Wivac and Motik like this.
  3. watchcollect

watchcollect Mar 22, 2020

4. lillatroll

lillatroll Mar 22, 2020

I am huge fan of Walter Mosley for crime. Charles Bukowski for a bit of grimey realism and Salman Rushdie for beautiful writing. Classics: Bulgakov; The master and Margarita. I also read a lot of biographies, sport, politics and historical figures are all good reads for me. Two Stand out biographies are Nelson Mandela and Les Darcy, an Australian boxer.

rbob99 and jumpingsecond like this.
  5. SpeedyPhill

SpeedyPhill asked ages ago but no longer interested Mar 23, 2020

6. f3dbca

f3dbca Mar 25, 2020

Tom Sharpe is always a great (and easy) read for those who enjoy satire comedy. Riotous Assembly, and Indecent Exposure are some of my favourites.

flw likes this.
  7. JanV

JanV Mar 25, 2020

This one, i can really recommend to read.

“The Core is a unique story from the top of the Formula 1 world, where Aki Hintsa, a Finnish F1 coach and a doctor, has for years guided drivers towards success, but more than anything, towards mental and physical wellbeing. Later, top managers and companies from all over the world have taken to Hintsa's model of holistic well-being, and now these groundbreaking methods are available to all of us. In this book, Hintsa gives practical guidelines on better performance and comprehensive well-being and tells his fascinating story from the African plains to the F1 paddocks and the highest level of business – a journey, which made him realise what is important in life.”

F2EE7A20-06C8-4CC3-98F2-10A5E46DCC07.jpeg
    Lazy_Lightning likes this.
  8. Wivac

Wivac Terribly special Mar 25, 2020

For a bit of escapism, I love Chris Stewarts ( original Genesis drummer ) set of books. I've read the first 2, a wonderful story of moving countries, on a bootstrap to a remote Andalucian mountain farm.
    Driving over Lemons
    Parrot in a pepper tree...

9. flw

flw Mar 25, 2020

Not to mention Porterhouse Blue and The Throwback. Two of the funniest books I've ever read ...

10. flw

flw Mar 25, 2020

The original James Bond novels by Ian Fleming. Read the whole series, start to finish.

Aludic and Yellowjacket like this.
  11. nicky77

nicky77 Mar 25, 2020

Hyperion by Dan Simons (4 book series)
    I am on the last book now.

Wivac likes this.
  12. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Mar 25, 2020

Classics & adventure faves...
    White Fang or Smoke Bellew by Jack London - or just about any other of London’s
    The Virginian by Owen Wister - maybe the 1st western I read
    Death in the Long Grass by Peter Capstick - big game hunting in Africa
    The Man-Eaters of Tsavo and J H Patterson
    Two Years Before the Mast by Richard H Dana
    True Grit by Charles Portis
    To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

13. Observer

Observer Mar 26, 2020

Raymond Chandler’s Philip Marlowe books are great, especially if you know Los Angeles.
    It would be a great time to read The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy then watch the movie. He has a lot of other great books, too.
    A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess). I prefer the shorter version. Read it more than once to get used to the language then watch the movie.
    Trainspotting (Irvine Welsh) would be a great book/movie combination.
    I think I might re-read some of the above soon, but tonight I’m going to take The Stand (Steven King) down from the shelf because hiding from a virus with Captain Trips just seems right.

Yellowjacket and Ebuster like this.
  14. Professor

Professor Mar 26, 2020

"the Earth Abides"
    Early pandemic apocalyptic novel.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides

I read it in junior high and found a hard back copy at a yard sale in the 90's.
    I don't know if I still have it, I loaned it out several times.
    I also have a near mint , dust cover and all , simultaneous first edition hardback of "Forbidden Planet", published to coincide with the premiere of the classic sci fi film.
    A little different in details. I may unwrap it and read it again.
    This edition in this condition is priced at online collector stores at over 2,000 USD but what the heck, I paid 25 cents for it. It can stand another reading. I'll just make sure not to use it as a coaster.

Yellowjacket likes this.
  15. wbfondren

wbfondren Mar 26, 2020

Aludic likes this.
  16. mikekchc

mikekchc Mar 29, 2020

I just bought this and I am knee deep into it! So good!

wbfondren likes this.
  17. cvalue13

cvalue13 Mar 30, 2020

No reference here yet to the 1981 Dean Koontz book, "The Eyes of Darkness," that deals with a virus called "Wuhan-400”?

84747594-6A3C-4A49-A072-11D416DD23CC.jpeg

18. OmeGez

OmeGez Mar 30, 2020

19. hejsam

hejsam Mar 30, 2020

You should (re)-read the Harry Potter books, a good way to spend some time at home! :)

20. Jeeper

Jeeper Mar 30, 2020

FAF
    Jeeper