Forums Latest Members
  1. trackpad Mar 30, 2017

Having searched the forum for what I know must be existing threads on exactly this topic, I'm throwing my hands up with this post, and requesting recommendations based on your first-hand experience for a good place to send a newly acquired 105.003. And fast, before I get too attached to it.

Location wise, I might prefer EU, but could also do U.S. – I guess the only requirement is that they come recommended, and have access to a parts account.

Please note I'm looking for positive endorsements/experiences, and preferably first-hand. Hopefully, there are some.

If you have warnings or negative experiences with someone I would prefer you relate them to me via a DM. I don't want to dig up any past disputes, or see the credibility of a particular service center – or of a watch serviced at that service center – publicly impugned.

With many thanks, as always.

---
    P.S. Yep, I know @Archer exists! ...and if only. But the man has a serious backlog.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 30, 2017

Search Swiss Time Services (STS) in England. You must be the only one on this board who isn't aware of them.

Etp095, Jwit, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  3. trackpad Mar 30, 2017

Thanks @efauser. Very aware of them and have exchanged a dozen or so emails already re: their process and other little details on this piece. Seem very competent and are a strong candidate, but I wanted to hear from OF members with first-hand experience – even better if it was with a 321.

But I take it you were happy with them, and that's great. Can I ask what they worked on?

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 30, 2017

Nothing for me but there are lots of reviews from members.

5. watchlovr Mar 30, 2017

Worked on my 2998, several my other Speedmasters, my MQ Stardust.
    I'd trust them with anything.
    IMG_1635.jpg IMG_3143.jpg IMG_1643.jpg

Etp095, bhove, MikiJ and 4 others like this.
  6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 30, 2017

My 105.012-65 is with them at the moment. I was recommended to them by well respected members of this forum and they were right. I live in the UK and visited them so that I could deliver my watch by hand.
    You need to speak to Simon Freese. I was able to sit down and chat to him for a good hour during which he opened my watch and showed me the 321 movement.
    I presume you don't live in the UK, but that is no problem for them. You can call them and ask to speak to Simon. He will be happy to talk to you and explain things. You could also have a 2nd call once he's received the watch in which he will go through your service requirements.
    My watch is being serviced but the 'collector valuable' components will not be changed. The case and bracelet will be cleaned but not polished.
    the STS website has all of the technical details that explain shipping etc. Give them a call.
    (I will be collecting my watch in about a month or so. I'll post some new pix so you can see how it turns out.)

35ebbd90-9ac3-4ee1-9d61-44be45680050.jpg
    Etp095, Sculler22 and trackpad like this.
  7. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 30, 2017

Beautiful watches mate! I feel even better about my watch being with them right now. Thankyou for posting those pictures. That's very encouraging.:thumbsup:

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

I wish I had listened to advice here and sent my 321 to them instead on having it serviced in Chicago. I think I'd have received more value for money. I still think a trip to STS is in its future.

9. M'Bob Mar 30, 2017

Was thinking about doing that too. But how would you send to the UK feeling confident it would arrive, no major snags?

10. LawBrk Mar 30, 2017

FedEx international priority, ParcelPro insured and all your customs forms filled in correctly. If you are sending from US, I've yet to reach a problem, the package does get hung up in UK custom for a moment, I assume that this is due to STS needing to provide a document that assures the watch is "For Repair" and thus no tax need be levied.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

Id use Parcel Pro and FedEx but U.K. customs do worry me and I'd have to discuss at length with STS first on how to classify.

trackpad likes this.
  12. trackpad Mar 30, 2017

@M'Bob Short answer: there will be no "feeling confident". UPS from Dubai would be my choice, ...but it will still be a waking nightmare lasting 3 to 4 days. But short of boarding a plane, or sending it back with a UK visitor ...can't see another option.

Also worth considering, I wouldn't feel any better about it puttering around the mainland in a Royal Mail baggie... possibly even less so. But this is life shipping watches. :eek: In fact, if it does go to STS, I will have it return shipped to family in the UK. So I will also get a taste of that Royal Mail anxiety before it's over.

M'Bob likes this.
  13. trackpad Mar 30, 2017

@Larry S That's actually the better answer. UPS or FedEx – but with PP. Unfortunately, I don't think PP is available in my region.

14. trackpad Mar 30, 2017

Very useful, thank you.

15. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Mar 30, 2017

Hello Bob. Good point and a real worry. I asked Simon about this when I took the watch in. He said it was a normal thing for them to service watches from around the globe. They've had items in from as far away (from the UK) as the far East. They are very helpful on the telephone and will explain anything that is of concern.i
    I have visited watch shops recently (including UK Omega dealers) where I didn't even like them holding my 105.012-65 in case they dropped it!:eek: After 5 minutes at STS I felt confident enough to hand it over and let him open it so I could see the 321 inside. (Got to say it was a thing of beauty.::love::)
    An hour later I walked out and left it there, in exchange for a bit of paper, without a worry. Having said that, I will be happier when I go back collect it.

Edited Mar 30, 2017
    M'Bob and Sculler22 like this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

I'd e mail them to find out. They are part of UPS but ironically prefer Fedex as their shipper. I'd be surprised if they can't help you in Dubai.

17. trackpad Mar 30, 2017

Rabbit hole, but I'll gladly go down it: Knowing they were part of UPS, I was surprised when the clerk at the UPS hub here in Dubai had never heard of them... well, not totally surprised. I'll contact PP directly at some point soon and see what's up.

I did send a bracelet to Hong Kong for restoration with UPS from here a few months ago, and they did it for about $85 in 3 days – and insured for $1200 USD ...which seems competitive, certainly against what FedEx offered for the same (+ $200). But not sure UPS are set up to insure a higher value watch.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 30, 2017

I use Fedex for all incoming. They are superb. The folks at PP told me that UPS does not run as tight a ship.

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 30, 2017

I've only had incoming from FedEx in Dubai (3 days from Mexico) but they were excellent (and no import tax ;))

20. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 30, 2017

Maybe a call to Precision Watch Repair, nka. Govberg Watch Repair in Philadelphia? Ask for Israel and have him get Manny involved. I'm sure you'll be well satisfied. I certainly was thrilled with what they did for my 105.012-66w/CB case :)

trackpad likes this.