Beyond repair...calib 283

My late father-in-law was a retired watchmaker and left us with numerous old tools and spare parts. Among these, an old Omega caliber 283 housed in a 2498-8 case caught my eye. While I am not a watchmaker, my interest in this field is growing as I delve deeper into it. Unfortunately, the movement is rusty, and I am unable to loosen the screws. My plan is to remove the movement and replace it with a new (used) one from eBay. Both the dial and the case are in good condition. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Best regards from Norway.

My passion is playing with such watches.

There are a few things one can use. Sili-Kroil is a penetrating oil what can loosen screws. Normally it is used for loosening the big bolts on bridges.

Evap-O-Rust can remove the rust from parts. This is used in automotive.

If the screws have been rusted to the point of being snapped off. Alum (a kitchen spice) can be used to dissolve the remaining iron away. (this is last resort and all the other iron/steel parts must be removed first. Cap jewl settings often use steel springs.

It takes a lot of patience to work on such things. The costs will also be much more than a better/complete example. This really has to be a passion. I have worked with some of this for over 30 years, with decades long breaks from it.

Since we are in a disposable society. Such examples do not show up as often as One would like. Also note if you swap the movement, you are basically creating a franken. One would have to save the serial number plate, or find one with the same range. I personally do not have issue doing the Victor F. thing. Only for my own entertainment though. I call these rat watches. I am told in automotive similar things are called rat-rods.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rust-bucket-special.148468/ Is a thread where I slowly work on an old Valjoux-72 movement. Currently it is once again in pieces as I slowly work through the issues.

I just restored a 505 what was missing about 1/3 of the parts. Some of what remained was as rusted as the example you post. https://omegaforums.net/threads/tickey-tickey.172501/ Shows the results.

Beyond repair, really does not apply when it comes to watches.

My passion is playing with such watches.

There are a few things one can use. Sili-Kroil is a penetrating oil what can loosen screws. Normally it is used for loosening the big bolts on bridges.

Evap-O-Rust can remove the rust from parts. This is used in automotive.

If the screws have been rusted to the point of being snapped off. Alum (a kitchen spice) can be used to dissolve the remaining iron away. (this is last resort and all the other iron/steel parts must be removed first. Cap jewl settings often use steel springs.

It takes a lot of patience to work on such things. The costs will also be much more than a better/complete example. This really has to be a passion. I have worked with some of this for over 30 years, with decades long breaks from it.

Since we are in a disposable society. Such examples do not show up as often as One would like. Also note if you swap the movement, you are basically creating a franken. One would have to save the serial number plate, or find one with the same range. I personally do not have issue doing the Victor F. thing. Only for my own entertainment though. I call these rat watches. I am told in automotive similar things are called rat-rods.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/rust-bucket-special.148468/ Is a thread where I slowly work on an old Valjoux-72 movement. Currently it is once again in pieces as I slowly work through the issues.

I just restored a 505 what was missing about 1/3 of the parts. Some of what remained was as rusted as the example you post. https://omegaforums.net/threads/tickey-tickey.172501/ Shows the results.

Beyond repair, really does not apply when it comes to watches.

Fantastic!
I'm already hooked. I'll try to get hold of what you suggest in Norway or order it from abroad. Will keep you posted how this will turn out.
By the way; I've tried WD-40 without much success... So the question is if this is the correct Sili-Kroil?

Thanks again!
Edited:

Yes that looks like the stuff.

WD 40 is "Water Displacement formula 40." It has the same density as water. Was created as an antifreeze. It is in effect liquid sandpaper. It does not work for clocks, watches, locks and other ordnance.

Yes that looks like the stuff.

WD 40 is "Water Displacement formula 40." It has the same density as water. Was created as an antifreeze. It is in effect liquid sandpaper. It does not work for clocks, watches, locks and other ordnance.

It turns out that impoting a 10oz Sili-Kroil from US will cost me approx USD110 incl shipping. 🙁 Any viable alternatives? ::facepalm1::

Yes this sort of restoration gets expensive. One does it as a labor of unrequited love.

Bergeon sells something similar. As I recall it is just as expensive. I did not have luck with the the U shaped screw extraction tool. @Archer warned me that some of the tools do not work all that well. Drilling the screws out messed up the Val72 plate as the screw is harder than the drill. I did buy a new plate, but it is for the new style bridge, so there is no place for a safety screw. So I have to drill and tap the new plate, or patch drill and tap the old plate.

Did get some 3-1 penetrating oil. Smells similar. So far it has not freed the rusted nut (which is left hand threaded.) I was too lazy to order the silikroil online, and that is what the store had.

The obvious thing is that it really is cheaper just to buy a new watch. On the other hand I get attached to a particular watch. I think the same thing happens in social relationships. Reminded of the scene in I Claudius, where Emperor Augustus tells Tiberius one woman is as good as another. Been re- reading Dune and I see the hero has to make the same choice. Mary the daughter of the Emperor or the whole political alliance falls apart.
Unrequited love also destroys the earth in three body problem.

As a deist, I wonder if the watches ever do love us back?

I would not use any penetrant or liquid that could wick its way to the dial.
If I was in your position I'd use a dental burr to grind away the case tabs so that the movement could be extracted and replaced with a donor.
Once the movement is out and dial/hands removed it could be harvested for parts if any are still useable.

Fantastic!
I'm already hooked. I'll try to get hold of what you suggest in Norway or order it from abroad. Will keep you posted how this will turn out.
By the way; I've tried WD-40 without much success... So the question is if this is the correct Sili-Kroil?

Thanks again!

You might need something stronger anyway, we use this at Boeing all the time

IMG_9084.jpeg

I’m wondering if the dial is the original paint?

Good luck on your project 👍

Aircraft Remover? hmmm How many cans does it take to completely remove an aircraft?::psy::

have it repaired and restored by a professional watch shop. we have here highly qualified member/s to do the job. good luck.