Forums Latest Members

bergeon tools having rust?

1. AdamVT227 Jul 3, 2024

thanks for the advice , i will try and contact them to hear their response on the matter . its just hard for me to believe that those tools which supposed to be high quality would rust immediately after taken out of the packaging .

2. Pip Jul 3, 2024

Were they rusty when you got them? Or did the rust appear after you received them? Important distinction. If they were clean when you got them it would suggest something in the atmosphere at your end. And as @Archer says, that's most important as your watch movements will be destroyed really quickly in a bad atmosphere.

3. AdamVT227 Jul 3, 2024

only the movement holder was a bit rusty but no way close to its current condition all the other tolls came spotless as far as i know , not something that i thought of checking . i will try and make my working atmosphere better . but if it was so bad i think that all of my items made of steel would rust but its only the bergeon tools who does .

edit : i think the screw that holds the tip of the screwdriver in place was rusty as well when it came .

4. Dan S Jul 3, 2024

As has been mentioned above, hardened steel has little corrosion-resistance and is very prone to rusting in a humid environment. There are many different types of steel, and tradeoffs between anti-corrosion properties and other material properties. Some steels may show corrosion and some may not, but you can improve the situation by reducing the humidity, e.g. with air conditioning or a dehumidifier. Otherwise, you should try to buy tools made of different types of steel, although they may not be as hard, or hold an edge as well.

sheepdoll likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 3, 2024

As a knife maker, the better the carbon steel (harder and edge holding) the more it is prone to rust. That’s why most expensive Japanese knives the steels are clad with a more stainless steel.

Dan S likes this.
  6. samweldspoorly Jul 3, 2024

Friendly reminder that stainless is not stainPROOF. It just stains...LESS. Most tool grade steels are around 18%Cr and 8%Ni with the remaining balance being Fe. You CAN corrode these alloys. Best advice is to monitor humidity and store tooling with a light coat of mineral oil to keep them in tip top shape.

sheepdoll likes this.
  7. Pip Jul 5, 2024

My workshop is not bad at all, had no issues with corrosion. BUT: for a recent birthday I got bought an eco-friendly non-powered dehumidifier thing like this one and it's amazing how much water it is pulling out of the air.
    [​IMG]

I've also just bought a portable a/c unit so I'll see how much that drags out of the air too once I get it set up and turned on.

8. Fallout Boy Jul 5, 2024

INOX steel (18 -8 , Cr Ni) can have rust:

a) production defects
    b) as said above: athmospere -> dust with Fe- or FeO-content
    c) contact with "normal" Fe-Steel -> seperate INOX tools from the other steel-tools!

-> Locksmiths have to separate INOX (tools, storage) from normal machining in different halls. (They name this: black/white-system)

edit: I don´t know the sort of steel(s) of the Bergeon-Instruments!!

Edited Jul 5, 2024