Forums Latest Members

Bergeon tool on back-order

1. Olhenry56 Aug 17, 2022

Hi all.

I've had an order in with Otto Frei for a couple of months. They're waiting on Bergeon to supply the presto cannon pinion remover #2 (BERGEON 30637). It's out of stock in other places I've looked, too. Otto Frei says that Bergeon keeps pushing back the expected delivery date.

Does anyone happen to know the reason for this delay? It seems odd that it's this one tool that is in such short supply.

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 17, 2022

No idea, sorry.

3. sheepdoll Aug 17, 2022

My so called hardware store 'watchmaker' likes to use the excuse he can not get the parts from Otto Frei. May be why I am a bit hesitant to attempt to place an order myself. I waited over two years then got the spring myself from watchmaterials.com (Paylac) Do not see the #2 tool there either.

My guess is the backups and labor strikes at the port of oakland. Then there is the local politics as the Major leauge Baseball team wants to gentrify the industrial area where OFrei is located. It is practically a war zone. Otherwise I would drive over there and upgrade some tools I need.

I prefer this style https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-4854-watch-cannon-pinion-remover-tool/ Of course if you specifically need the number #2 tool then good luck.

-j

yako54 likes this.
  4. Olhenry56 Aug 17, 2022

I suppose I was trying to save a little money, but at this point, I'm in for a penny, so...

Out of curiosity, how well does that work with ladies' movements? I'll eventually try my have with smaller movements, and I've read that the collet can be too large to grab small cannon pinions.

5. sheepdoll Aug 17, 2022

I had no trouble with mine. The collet closes down nicely, it is Bergeron after all, mine of course is over 30 years old.
    -j

Olhenry56 likes this.
  6. noless Aug 17, 2022

I think Bergeon themselves have been facing some supply difficulties, as I have been seeing some lengthy waits for a whole lot of different tools from them (Movement holders and mainspring winders in my case).

The staff at my local watchmaker materials store said that they had been seeing a lot of delays. I ended up shipping out of the UK since my local said they couldn't give me an ETA and cousins had it in stock.

I have the green handle presto tool for cannon pinions and can confirm it works wonderfully for ladies movements, I think the new versions of that other style remover dont close down far enough for some ladies movements. I was having trouble finding one of the old ones on the bay for not absurd prices, so I gave up and picked up the presto, I have been very happy with it though.

Olhenry56 likes this.
  7. sheepdoll Oct 12, 2022

Finally here. Presto 30638-3 chronograph wheel lifter. Had to get it from England. Took forever due to a 'Royal Mail industrial action.'
    IMG_3507.png IMG_3508.png
    Attempted to order this from several US suppliers, only to be told it was 'Out of stock.'
    This one is vintage, used and a bit discolored by age. Should work though. Would have liked to have had it when the V72 wheel fell off looking at it. Plenty of other chronos await it's use...
    -j

M'Bob likes this.
  8. sheepdoll Oct 13, 2022

Was going to order the following Bergeon tools from oFrei today. All are still back ordered
    30209 screw extractor
    5680B-07 white lum paste
    30081-P05 screwdriver set (mostly just to see if they had it.)

So much for 'these should be available in the fall.'

Anyone else in the US of A having touble finding Bergeon tools in stock?

-j

9. Olhenry56 Oct 13, 2022

Ofrei finally shipped me the rest of my order, minus the Bergeon tool, and promised to ship it if/when it comes in without additional shipping costs. I'm not holding my breath, though.

10. fiberguy Oct 13, 2022

Did you try Esslinger?? They appear to have the lume past and screwdriverset - the extractor they show as backordered

11. sheepdoll Oct 13, 2022

Yeah I get the same result. The extractor is what I need. The other items were just to round out the order. I could drive over to oFrei if they had it. Too bad they no longer have counter sales. I have them searcing for a bunch of Val72 parts will see if and when they call me back.
    McCaw and CasKer let you order things, then call to say it is backordered. My ebay sources in UK list it, but with the Royal Mail industrial action it will take weeks to arrive. (I have two ebay orders from the UK with estimates in two weeks from now.) I want in now before I am distracted by the next shiny (or rusty) watch project or tool.

I am sort of thinking that OF needs a tool lending library, like the NAWCC chapters sort of did. Where one can borrow seldom used tools and movement holders. Logistics probably makes this too difficult. Tools tend to become shaped to fit the hand that uses them.

-j

12. rendo Oct 13, 2022

I looked around for the 30637 No.2 for a long time. Eventually, watchpartsdepot listed a quantity of 10 on eBay in the beginning of September. I ended up getting one, but they removed the listing after they sold a couple of them. The price was very reasonable as well.

The full set of Bergeon mainspring winders are out of stock everywhere I looked. I read somewhere that there's a problem with the wooden box supplier.

13. rendo Oct 13, 2022

I got the screw extractor from kd89fr on eBay. The seller in France, but I ended up getting it delivered in 8 days (I'm in the U.S.). They still have one in stock here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263543608228Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

14. sheepdoll Oct 13, 2022

Link show out of stock. Guess I am not the only one with a stuck screw.

15. Canuck Oct 13, 2022

Presto hand removers work fine for removing cannon pinions.

Eve likes this.
  16. Canuck Oct 14, 2022

H & W Perrin in Toronto has the Presto cannon pinion remover in stock. Price is about $70.00 U S. Address available if interested.

Olhenry56 likes this.
  17. Olhenry56 Oct 14, 2022

I'm not able to find it on their website. Any chance you'd be willing to share a direct link to the product? Thanks for the heads up!

18. Canuck Oct 14, 2022

Here is the information. The price of $110.00 is listed in $ Canadian, so it will be less in $ U S. There would be duty and shipping, so the landed cost would be a guess. The information includes fax #, phone #, customer service phone #, and email address. I emailed Perrin on Thursday evening, and this was their reply from Friday AM. Safe to assume that they have it, I would think.

7A4118CD-44F9-45FA-AA64-1FF37092CDC3.jpeg

Olhenry56 likes this.
  19. Olhenry56 Oct 14, 2022

Thanks a lot!

20. sheepdoll Nov 1, 2022

It is finally here. Thanks to a member here on OF I was able to order one from france using eBay.
    IMG_3538.png

Have not had a chance to try it yet.

RevZMan123 and rendo like this.