Forums Latest Members

Be a Good Samaritan and Help a Watch Newb!

1. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 9, 2020

Hello gentlemen, I have a question for everyone that I have been curious about for a while now. I have been skimming through a few certified pre-owned watch sites, like SwissWatchExpo, Crown&Caliber, and Jomashop to name a few. With so many watch brands out there, at least 10 to 20+ on the sites stated, I was curious as to which watch brands are considered high end? For instance, is Montblanc any good? I know they make pens but do they make good watches? What about IWC? I know everyone around the world knows of Rolex, but what about some other brands? Is there a list of good watch companies? I figured if someone is going to drop a few to several thousand dollars on a watch, what are the good companies to pay attention to? My budget would be roughly $5,000 maximum, at least for the time being, so mostly I am looking for pre-owned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kip595 likes this.
  2. kip595 Mar 9, 2020

While there are several watch brand "hierarchy" templates you can find in a simple google search, much of what you're asking is going to depend on what you're looking for, what you like, the model reference, the movement used; in addition to the brand. And there are a plethora of quality brands you can buy from new in the 5k range, some large and well known (Omega, for example), with other more niche and newer options as well (NOMOS Glashutte comes to mind).

It might help to know what sort of watch you're looking for (dress/formal, sport, business casual, etc), if you have any idea? Any examples of watches you KNOW you like?

TheNewOmegaMan likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 9, 2020

In the $5000 mark Omega or IWC is your brand

OptionZ, cicindela, watch3s and 2 others like this.
  4. asrnj77 Mar 9, 2020

If I were going to drop 5k on a new watch (not named Rolex) I wouldn't buy a "new" watch at all. I'd buy a $9,000 watch that was pre-owned and pay $5000. I'd let somebody else take the hit

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Mar 9, 2020

I expect that no offence was intended, but since half of the world’s population are women, it would be good to invite everyone into the conversation.

wagudc and Syrte like this.
  6. pongster Mar 9, 2020

Maybe because he was looking for a men’s watch? :)

I agree with you though, the female eye and keen shopping sense would be helpful. My wife helps me out in some of my watch shopping.

Pun and TheNewOmegaMan like this.
  7. janice&fred Mar 9, 2020

I say we should be even more politically correct. Even though the OP was merely using a common figure of speech, we should ban all gender reference in posts. I also find it offensive that my pal pongster typed "my wife" in his response, as if another human being is his possession.
    I always refer to mine as "that pain in the ass in the dress" so as not to offend. :D

Jimbo555, Longbow, Walrus and 9 others like this.
  8. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 9, 2020

I was looking for more of a dress watch (mens watch). Perhaps something more simple looking without a bunch of sub dials all over the place. Maybe a white dial? Also I was leaning towards a leather strap, black. I was looking at IWC and the Portofino stands out to me. I don't know if that helps at all or if it's too general. Thank you.

Edited Mar 9, 2020
    AllHerMovements likes this.
  9. Dan S Mar 9, 2020

kip595 and TheNewOmegaMan like this.
  10. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 9, 2020

Thank you Dan S. I appreciate the response. I guess I am looking for middle of the road then??

Edited Mar 9, 2020
  11. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 9, 2020

Just out of curiosity, why not a Rolex? Overpriced?

12. Dan S Mar 9, 2020

I don't know if there's really a specific term used. High-end is usually reserved for a few special brands, like Patek, Vacheron, A. Lange, etc. You will be able to get a great pre-owned dress watch for $5k. IWC and other similar brands are good places to look.

13. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 9, 2020

I guess that's what makes it so confusing to me. Like that saying one mans trash is another mans treasure. me personally, I think any watch over $500 is high end lol. Most of the people I know think I am crazy for spending $3,000 on a used watch. On that note, what do you think about Tissot? They looks really nice, only a few hundred dollars and swiss made. I know they are not in the same category as the watches being talked about but I am curious what you think of them.

Edited Mar 9, 2020
  14. Eve Mar 9, 2020

You could look at a used Jager-leCoultre or Blancpain, i think they also have some nice models in this price range.

wagudc, Dan S and TheNewOmegaMan like this.
  15. Dan S Mar 9, 2020

If you're talking about modern watches, they are probably perfectly fine, but pretty generic and nothing special. In the long run I think you'd be happier with a different brand. I second @Eve's suggestion to look at JLC, if they have something that is within your budget.

Eve, shaun hk and TheNewOmegaMan like this.
  16. TheNewOmegaMan Mar 9, 2020

Thank you for your input Eve and Dan S. I appreciate it.

17. kip595 Mar 9, 2020

given your responses, @TheNewOmegaMan I'd agree with several of the posts above, IWC, JLC, and should you want brand new w/in your budget (actually less than 3k for some models), you may also want to take a look at the current and recent Longines lineup. Some of their lower end are pretty generic, but they make several fairly nice dress pieces in the 2k+ MSRP range (which they can often be found for less than, in my area anyway.) For them you'd probably want to look at the Master or possibly Heritage lines for what is currently out.

Modern Tissot is what I consider perfectly 'serviceable for use'; I.E. basic, fairly generic, pleasant looking for the most part, and won't hurt your feelings too bad if something happens to it.

All that said, if the IWC Portofino just calls out to you, especially when/if you get to see one in person, that is a perfectly admirable choice to go with, IMHO. I feel any great watch, especially if, as it sounds, this might be your first 'luxury' type watch, should have some passion in the purchase.

Of course, that's also how I end up with so many watches...:whistling:

In any case, be sure to show us what you end up deciding to get!

*Edit: To note, many if not most would consider and IWC or JLC more of a niche/prestige maker over Longines if going by company name alone.

Edited Mar 9, 2020
  18. pongster Mar 10, 2020

They say, if you wear a Tissot (and/or drive a Kia), it’s like being an NBA player.

janice&fred likes this.
  19. asrnj77 Mar 11, 2020

Because a modern Rolex doesn't depreciate like that. Most other brands do and some more than others. You could get a 42mm Panerai that was $9000 new for $4500. Just an example as there are tons of watches out there. You need to try a bunch on and see what works on your wrist

20. Jeeper Mar 11, 2020

TheNewOmegaMan,

I think this hits the spot if you can find preloved in budget. 130-33-41-22-02-001-8.jpg
    And annual calander to boot.