Forums Latest Members

Newbie Help. Which luxury Watch should be my first purchase

1. JLMedia Jan 9, 2016

Let me start by saying hi and what a great site. My name is Jason, I am 45, a photographer and am looking to purchase my first overdue luxry watch.
    I had been obsessed with Breitlings in the shop windows for a few years, namely the Superocean Heritage and the Navitimers and as far as I was concerned, I wanted nothing else. I had always snubbed the likes of Rolex Submariners etc as they always seemed "10 to a penny" when looking at pre owned in the shop windows.
    Well the first rule of looking at waches is "put them on your wrist". I made a complete U Turn and now have no passion (well much less) for the Breitlings and can see exactly "why" the Subs are so popular. I was then absolutley bitten by bracelet watches and have been trying lots of different ones.
    This is my dilemma, or mind mess I should say.
    Over time I (like us all I guess) would want to build up a collection or I should say "selection" as I'm not really going in to this as a money making investment project, I will buy what I love, if it happens to turn into anresult then great.
    The sort of things I would want in the selection in time would be things like, a sub, a Speedmaster, a seamaster, a reverso, a navitimer (although I love the Sinn range and the price), I would also love a Daytona panda but against. Everyones better judgement I love the Bi Metallic with white facce and black dials. I know the bi's are fairly snubbbed but I like what I like.

Heere is what I am really wanting to get help with, wwhich piece do I go for initially as my "ahhhhh this is my first luxury watch"
    I am heavily swayed to the Bi panda Daytona and can get a brand new one for just under £9000 so am happy with that price (yes I accept that it will plummit but that is not my concern as I would not sell it on). The main reason for holding back a little on this piece iss that I am unsure if it is going to be quite so versatile from a styling point of view and I probably wouldn't be able to affford (well, justify to the wife) a 2nd purchase of something like a Speedy etc for a few years.
    I know I could go off and buy say a Sub AND a MOTM leather strap Speedmaster for the same sort of money as the Daytona but wonder if I will hunger after the semi bling piece inn the meantime.

I am the sort of guy who is a little flash but in and understated kind of way, I like to be noticed but not in an obvious way. I dont really do suits that much, not because I dont like them but my line of work doesnt require them. I like the style of classy jeans with a good casual top, quality shoes like Joseph Cheaney's, Edward Greens, Loakes in Oxford Brogues, Double Monks etc. I like a pair of ripped jeans from Time to time but finished with double monks (I only mention these sort of things as it helps build a character to fit the piece. I am so interested in how a piece can work for someone but loom absolutley ridiculous on another. Its fascinating.
    I will add a few pictures so you can see what is floating my boat so far and how they look on the wrist.

I am finding that I am just confusing myself the more and more I look and try on, I just need to take the plunge and 'go for it' but really want it to be something I trully love rather than like with a passion.

As mentioned before, I know I could look at this from a longevity investment point of view and buy with that in mind but it really isnt my first line of thougt. I would be looking to pass them down to my son in many many years and would even be keen to find a watch from 2010 as that was his birth year. If i do go with a new piece I will look to get it this coming Sunday as thats his birthday and figure it would be quite nice to have the warranty card stamped as his birthday date. All that aside, if the piece I loved was potentially a money maker the. All the better but I am not looking to buy something that I am less passionate about just for that reason.

I thank you all for any help you can offer and am keen to finally make the move.

Regards,

Jason

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 9, 2016

Dannyomega, watchme, PHPHD and 4 others like this.
  3. JLMedia Jan 9, 2016

Thanks, yes I did try this on and liked it but not so much that i would want to splash out over 10k on it.
    I really like the older Dark side of the moon but again did not feel happy shelling out this money for those particular pieces.

image.jpeg

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 9, 2016

Welcome.

I have and love a Daytona and plan on getting a Panda one of these days, great watch but particularly on the two tone not versatile at all. I also had a speedy and sold it, I love it but it didn't quite do it for me. Perhaps a FOIS or a good vintage one will break the spell.

I have two subs a 5512 and 14060M great and versatile.

But, for me, as an in introduction a GMT Pepsi or Coke would do the trick. The Batman is nice but the coke and Pepsi really do it for me. If you want a new Pepsi that will cost you as they only make it on white gold now, but you can vet a good example of a 16710 within your budget with any bezel and buy other bezel options separately.

The gmt seems.to tick all the boxes you mention for a "one" luxury, versatile, durable watch

sthai, blubarb and blufinz52 like this.
  5. JLMedia Jan 9, 2016

Some good comments there, thanks.
    I need to put the pepsi on my wrist as TBH, it doesnt really work for me in the cabinet as those colours are just not really my style.
    I will give it a try though.
    Just to clarify about the Bi Daytona, I wasn't really worried about durability, I accept it could mark easier. My main concern is if it would suit a large percent of the outfits I choose (i think it will but its a concern until I can add say a leather strapped piece like the Speedmaster. (You may not have been referring to that but thought Inwould say just in case.)

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 9, 2016

I wasn't, the Daytona is a tank, I have one in leather at the moment and worms well buf any two tone watch stands out too much for my taste to be a one only watch. I have the white steel Daytona.

If not the Pepsi try the coke. Or black bezel gmt.

7. JLMedia Jan 9, 2016

Thanks. I will have a look. I like the fact that the two tone stands out but I agree it wouldn't be suited as a single piece for too long. Its my 50th in June 2020 so was considering the TT daytona for then but not sure if A: I would want to wait that long and B: would I feel excited enough with the other pieces in the meantime if i went with a Sub, Speedmaster or GMT etc.
    Yes I know deep down, only I can answer this. Just curious on other views and how other people finalised their 'first' purchase.

8. Brandon_Dexter Jan 9, 2016

A Sub a Speedy and a dress watch walk into a bar........ But seriously. Those are "the" three things that every serious watch collector accumulates over time. Have had a sub or two and a dssd, they just never seem to stick in my collection. I wear a suit and tie 5 days a week so I have more dress watches than most probably need but I enjoy their different personalities and levels of dress.

That first speedy is a great one.

The Tudor line has some fantastic dive watches. I traded a DSSD for the Pelagos and a Black Bay plus.

Never mind the bronze pilot, it is just the only pic of surf and turf I have handy.
    [​IMG]

9. JLMedia Jan 9, 2016

DSSD?

10. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jan 9, 2016

ABE62AD64D0FC38378DE3EE1F28E49B8.jpg

11. devnull Jan 9, 2016

If I had £9000 and was forced to buy a watch, I would pick a LeCoultre's tribute to polaris. They can be found in like new condition for that sort of cash.

39.49.jpg

dougiedude, Hijak and Nobel Prize like this.
  12. JLMedia Jan 9, 2016

Deep sea sea dweller of course.
    I find it a bit chunky for my tastes.

I am quite keen on a chrono for my first watch. Having been sway d to the breitlings originally I like a slightly busier watch hence liking chronos. Not that I dont like cleaner faces but would be swayed towards a chrono for my first.

Appreciating the suggestions though.

13. OmegaRookie Jan 9, 2016

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg How about one of these three?
    The SM 300 has a hint of bling and vintage, the Yachtmaster has bling and is a great sport watch. Very comfortable to wear. The batman is my personal favourite. I find it hard to take off and replace. I love the blue. Good luck with your choices

blubarb and Nobel Prize like this.
  14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 9, 2016

Say "luxury watch" again!

Say+what+again+i+dare+you+_c96110be6e532db8e5e39e15c8fdc7de.jpg

RawArcher, RLC and Hijak like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 9, 2016

The white 116520 is still my favourite Rolex too. Problem with the 3 handers is the movements in all of them are in the process of being dumped, no doubt Rolex will take 10 years to fully complete the operation like they did with the shelving of the old stamped bracelet but the 3135 is being replaced by the new 32xx series movement debuted in the Day-Date 40.

So moving forward all Rolexes will have longer power reserves, ball bearing winding systems and so on, which the Daytonas already have but the 3135s don't. That's what's put me off buying any 3-hand Rolexes other than vintage for a while now as I'm not keen on buying an end of life product that's been mass produced too much to ever go up in value.

JLMedia and Nobel Prize like this.
  16. JLMedia Jan 10, 2016

Thanks, I do like the 116520 although it just didn't give me that super warm feeling when I put it on my wrist. The 116523 in white face with panda dials almost made me smile a lot and all warm inside.

I do like the look of the batman BLNR and will certainly give that a try before deciding. Is this still a current watch and if so how much does it retail for new, should I be looking for a particular model year or has it been unchanged for a whilst (sorry these are questions I could google and check but always good to hear peoples opinions as well)

I'm swaying towards a sub or GMT BLNR with a Speedmaster MOTM leather strap chrono to give me two strong looks for now then add the Bi Daytona for my 50th and hopefully we will no more about the new movements by then. (this could all change once I put something on my wrist again haha)

OmegaRookie likes this.
  17. blubarb Jan 10, 2016

Cannot go wrong with a BLNR or Sub 114060 for a first I think.

OmegaRookie, JLMedia and blufinz52 like this.
  18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jan 10, 2016

just a few random thoughts ... (from somewhat personal experience - so take it for what it is...)

- don't spend 9k on your first lux. watch ... your taste will probably "focus/shift/refine" over time ... and it's better to have a 3k watch "you dont wear all that much" than a 9k one ... (and have 6k available for future purchases is always nice). Your focus has shifted already and be honest, ain't you happy you havent sunk all your funds into that 48mm Breitling?

- nothing wrong with those RLX ... the sub is probably the single most important watch ever built... I do have some problems with the kind of people who wear them ... most people that have them seem to have them, because it is the icon of "look, expensive watch here!!!" the same seems true for the Daytona, which is "look, even more expensive watch here!!!". You might think differently. I am NOT dissing rlx at all, I have/had a couple ... but I found myself gravitating to the not-so-much-in-your-face-models. Google "rolex 1600" .... google "rolex explorer 39mm" for visuals. You as photographer will appreciate design that stand the test of time... the 39mm explorer will also sport the more modern movement (compared to the sub range), the 3132 - so there are some hard facts also behind that recommendation.

- think buying "like new" ... you might safe 30-50 % -> www.watchrecon.com is your friend - and after 2 months there is virtually no difference between a watch bought new and like-new anyhow ... stretches your moneys quite a bit. ;o)

- have a gameplan ... I know, walking into a high prestige stockist feels like the candy store to a kid ... by gameplan I mean what SEGMENTS do you consistently like (chronos, divers, vintage, flieger, elegant, calendars, moonphase, gold, etc...) ... and once identified those landmarks on your "want-map" see which models consistently grab your attention. I used "consistently" now 3 times in a row, which has a lot to do with my first bullet point.

- be careful with brands that charge you 6k for a 1k watch ... IWC and Tudor come to mind (selected models) ... also, Breitling e.g. the tudors (pelagos, blackbay) use quite often the rather nice eta 2824 caliber (nothing wrong with that) ... but the same 2824 can be found in $300 tissots and other low end watches. So you buy/pay for a porsche with a (nice) volkswagen engine that is also used in Jettas ;-) . Same is true for quite a few IWC models (some ingeniers,portofinos, etc...) ... so do you research before shelling out moneys. Other brands work the other way round ... they have very nice movements and are slowly building a brand around it ... those are - interestingly enough mostly german brands (damasko, nomos, Lange&Soehne,etc) ... those tend to get you much bang for the buck, but might not be instantly recognizable to joe doe as luxury watch

thats just a few preliminary thoughts... best to hang out here before spending money ;-)
    cheers, Al

19. JLMedia Jan 10, 2016

Awesome post.
    As you say 'personal opinions' but very valid ones and very useful.

When I say I have 9k to spend, I should have clarified that I don't necessarily 'have' 9k to spend but would have been comfortable spending 9k on the Bi Daytona if I felt it was the exact one for me for now.
    Whatever I go for will be partly financed (which although I know is not the 'best' way, I'm more than happy with it.

20. RLC Jan 10, 2016

Think BIG...act small, do your homework and start vintage....my first three L to Rt. DSC00008.jpg

Good Luck....

Bob
    :thumbsup: