Forums Latest Members

Attention Herman Miller Aeron users

1. NGO1 Jul 30, 2020

BTW, it's a good habit to form. Hang one or two on your Aeron. If you're on a conference call, reading reports... yank away.

vbrad26 likes this.
  2. vbrad26 Jul 30, 2020

This is part of the problem though. I went to a used office furniture store and sat on a bunch and they all felt great.
    The Aeron was great fo the first week too, but now is causing me this discomfort. I suppose I could try something else, but I would have to wait a week or so before I realize if it is going to be a winner or not lol.
    Yes it is a Sparco R100. And to be honest, it was a fine seat. I just ditched it because I thought I could do better...but here we are lol.
    These posts here confirm my suspicion that I think more than anything I need to work on myself. I'm having a hard time blaming my discomfort on a chair that is supposed to promote good posture.
    I went back to the chiro this AM and nothing is crazy wrong with me.
    My spine is a little compressed towards the top but lower spine looks ok, however my tailbone is a little more vertical than it should be.
    Hips were slightly out of alignment as well. But everything where I am experiencing my discomfort, seems to be ok.
    By the time I'm at home and in bed, feel pretty much fine. During the day, it just feels like my lower back is getting tired and fatigued, which again makes me think it is ME. My body is just using different muscles and is getting used to a better seating position.
    I think I'm going to stick it out, but I just wanted to hear some other opinions from people who have experience with the chair.
    So again, thank you to all who've replied, I really appreciate it.

Just to be clear we are talking about the bands....right? Haha.

3. NGO1 Jul 30, 2020

yanking the other band is apparently "frown upon", during a video conference.
    Thanks COVID.

vbrad26 likes this.
  4. 140dave Jul 30, 2020

Late to the game as usual but I really like the Aeron. My wife has had hers for almost 10yrs, I would steal it every time she left the room and swap chairs until she came back. Finally ordered my own and it arrived a couple weeks ago. Pricey but for me totally worth it compared to the lower priced chairs I kept buying every few years.

MTROIS and vbrad26 like this.
  5. vbrad26 Jul 30, 2020

Yeah see I'm just sort of stumped as to why I'm just having such an issue with mine.
    Like a few have mentioned, it is definitely not for everyone. But I'm having a hard time finding anyone who seemed to be having the same issues I am.
    Most complain of pain in other areas. And my pain is in a place that the chair is actually supposed to help, not "hurt".
    I get that chairs are a very personal thing, and a chair like the Aeron has to be fine tuned for each individual person usually.
    But I'm not ready to place the blame fully on the chair...not yet lol. A lot of what I'm reading is pointing towards my core muscles that need work.
    I'm hanging on to the hope that this is just temporary as my body gets used to the new seating position,
    Because after all, that is the whole reason I bought the chair in the first place.
    But if this is just how it is always going to be for some reason and my body rejects it lol, then I will have no choice but to find something else.

6. vbrad26 Aug 14, 2020

Well I'm coming up on a month and I'm happy to report that I am like 8/10 on the comfort scale when before I was about a 2 or 3 lol.
    So it is definitely a lot better than when I originally posted.
    I'm still having a bit of soreness right in the middle of my back now on my spine around where the Posturefit system is. And it is not sore all the time only when I'm leaning back and putting pressure on that area.
    So I'm confident I will get there. But if for some reason another month goes by and I'm not at a 9 or 10 it will probably be bye bye hah.

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 14, 2020

For whatever it's worth, I began to use high-end office chairs many years ago, and have been using this HAG Capisco model for over 20 years (there is another with an interesting saddle seat). They are outstanding (and expensive, though also available used in Scandinavia).

[​IMG]

https://www.ergonomio.com/en/hag-capisco-8126/pl/A8VF39CE019868

vbrad26 likes this.
  8. chaw6125 Aug 14, 2020

I went for the Herman Miller Mirra and do not have problems with it. I do think I sit for too long at times though. Have been thinking about getting a stand up desk. This is where it gets to the point where it can get out of hand with regards to costs. I mean that money could be spent on some new straps right?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 14, 2020

I personally didn’t like the lumbar system at first and just deinstalled it for awhile. Currently I have it in but on the softest setting. ( I have the pad not the same as yours but they are modular and yours should slip out)

MTROIS likes this.
  10. vbrad26 Aug 14, 2020

Yeah I think sitting too long may still be a part of my problem. I also think I'm still to blame for the soreness on my spine. Just gotta learn how to sit right hah.

Yeah I have the Posturefit SL and originally didn't think I could take it off, assuming it was integrated into the seatback.
    But it wasn't. I took it off a week or so ago and tried it for a few days and I did not really notice much difference.
    In fact, It seemed to feel a little better with it on and ever so slightly "engaged".
    But coincidentally, that is where the soreness in by back is...right there where that top pad is.
    Since this is my work chair at my office, I will give my back the weekend to rest and see how I do next week.
    Week by week it has been getting better, so we'll see...

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. timoss Aug 14, 2020

I never liked my Aeron much. member felt that comfy. Ended up in an Eames aluminum group and love it. Looks much nicer, too.

I also have a desk that raises and lowers at the push of a button and I try to work a bit in the standing position to alleviate all the sitting. Recommend it.

12. michael22 Aug 14, 2020

I am a Chiropractor. Without being specific, here are some points:
    * I've seen it take 3-4 months for somebody's musculature to adapt to a new seat.
    * A sitting/standing desk makes a bigger difference to more people than switching chairs.
    * You mention discomfort cycling, & other postures? Sounds like you have the problem, rather than the chair, as you have already surmised.
    * it is possible to use a good tool poorly.

vbrad26 likes this.
  13. vbrad26 Jan 19, 2021

Still have this thing and I'm still not convinced lol.
    What are some good office chairs people are using....?

14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 19, 2021

I have this one in my home office & and an Aeron at the office office. Much prefer the qor360...

051D251F-4288-4074-AB1D-2201F7C0B3AB.jpeg 20D464F0-9A7E-43E5-B86B-1AE61B2105EB.jpeg

and because watch forum...

62EB6E26-F16F-4616-A53D-E680ACEE4F81.jpeg

vbrad26 likes this.
  15. vbrad26 Jan 27, 2021

Well today is the first day with the Aeron’s replacement. Meet the Steelcase Gesture.

33EB8B07-E19A-4AAE-8D21-6464BFD46255.jpeg
    BFDBEF4D-FAFA-497E-91C8-CD2A0D3BF627.jpeg

I still like the Aeron better. The tilt functionality was far better in my opinion. I’ll miss the mesh to cool my butt. And I’ll just miss it’s overall look.
    But the thing was a literal pain in my ass, well lower back actually.
    Can’t say I didn’t try...but 6 months was all I could take.
    Fingers crossed for this one.

Edited Jan 27, 2021
    Darlinboy, MTROIS and Foo2rama like this.
  16. MTROIS Jan 27, 2021

Just received my Aeron remastered, size B, SL posturefit, etc. a couple of weeks ago. So far, I absolutely love it... and really feel it is inducing good posture when sitting.

For comparison, I have a Steelcase Gesture at work, and it is a good chair, but probably not in the same league as the Aeron.

I will report back in a few weeks, but quite psyched so far.

vbrad26 likes this.
  17. MTROIS Jan 27, 2021

Also planning on getting one of the Eames aluminum group exec chairs... happy to read that you also have a good experience with it. Loved it when sitting in one at store...

18. vbrad26 Jan 27, 2021

Yeah like I said I do like the Aeron better, at least its overall build and features. I'll miss it, but I'm sure I will quickly forget about it assuming I'm not still in the same boat with this chair.
    And if that's the case then I am giving up on ergonomic chairs and going to go buy the biggest puffiest couch chair Office Depot offers lol.

At the end of the day, I'm not entirely sure why I could never get used to the Aeron.
    I think I move around too much and sit in different positions, and from what I understand, the Aeron will punish you for that.
    I went with the Gesture because of their whole "posture study" (for what that's worth).

[​IMG].

https://www.steelcase.com/research/.../beta-testing-new-sitting-experience-gesture/

The aeron has had the same design for what, the last 20+ years?
    Steelcase claims they did some study and found some of the more common sitting positions today and designed/engineered the Gesture around that.
    I saw that picture above and thought huh, I sit in a lot of those positions...positions that the Aeron does not really want you to sit in.
    So I don't know. But I do feel like it is already better comfort-wise.
    My lower back has been sore in pretty much ANY seat/chair I sit in since owning the Aeron so I'm hoping now that is gone that will slowly dissipate and I will be back to normal.

Edited Jan 27, 2021
    MTROIS likes this.
  19. 140dave Jan 27, 2021

It took me a couple of weeks to get the Aeron adjusted just right but once I did I really like it. I had a bit of back pain at the onset as well; I found sitting a bit lower in the seat, adjusting it to a lower height, made all the difference. Most chairs I have my hips and knees at relative same height, w/the Aeron I need my hips a bit more below my knees than most. Now I love it and wouldnt trade it for my office Steelcase Gesture, which I do really like as well. It was easier to find a good position with the Steelcase but once I found my setting for Aeron it won.

vbrad26 and MTROIS like this.
  20. vbrad26 Jan 27, 2021

Yeah I would agree, if I could've got the Aeron dialed in it would have won as well lol.
    I never messed with seat height too much.
    I always thought it was best to have about a 90 degree bend in the knees, anything less than that can cause issues elsewhere...
    Plus, I feel like my desk would have been up to my chest hah.