Forums Latest Members

Asking for some advice on my 1966 Rolex Submariner 5513

1. narembeen Apr 11, 2020

Hi, my step father left me this 1966 Rolex Submariner 5513. It is in a very bad way, so I hoping for some advice on how I should proceed? It also comes with its box and papers. The case is unpolished with an engraved caseback.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
    Faz, Retsamaes, FREDMAYCOIN and 2 others like this.
  2. watch3s Apr 11, 2020

If you want to make this watch wearable again, Id suggest getting into contact with one of the firms that can deal with vintage rolex. It is not going to be a cheap bill, by the looks of it, its gonna need at least a bezel, dial, hands, crystal and god knows what when they pop the hood. Also probably a new bracelet. Overhauling that will likely cost quite a pretty penny.

Larry S likes this.
  3. bags1971 Apr 11, 2020

What do you want to do with it I thought the guys on TRF told you what to do with it

Lucasssssss, Farmer and watch3s like this.
  4. OmeGez Apr 11, 2020

It’s a shame, but by the time your done restoring that, nothing will be original...

I’m not sure if it’s just worth splitting for parts, if there’s anything salvageable.

blufinz52 and watch3s like this.
  5. bags1971 Apr 11, 2020

6. mancio Apr 11, 2020

As long as the part are all period correct for the watch, who really cares if the watch is "original"?
    Certainly it will take a lot of time and money to fully restore it.

7. narembeen Apr 11, 2020

what about serivce parts? This is why I am asking around in different forums. I have learnt a lot of the past ten days or so. Still not really sure how to go forward. My budget says service parts though. Vintage replacements are out of my price range

8. mancio Apr 11, 2020

Well, if your budget says service part than go for it.
    I would personally try to get at least the period correct dial, but it's up to you and your wallet.

9. narembeen Apr 11, 2020

Well I thought about doing it on the cheap now so I can wear it and then slowly gather the right parts over the next five years or so ready for the next service.

wagudc and mancio like this.
  10. narembeen Apr 12, 2020

I posted on other forums as I thought they would have different members. Instead the same people are asking my why I am posting on different forums on those different forums.

11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 12, 2020

Strangely I thought leave the dial as is, sure it's damaged but it's 50 years old. Either try to polish the crystal or replace if required, new hands (relume to colour match?) service movement and go no bezel.

12. narembeen Apr 12, 2020

Yeah Brando's GMT has inspired me to try that. At least thats the best budget option, the dial isnt as bad as it looks. The plexi is filthy, like grease and dust so I am trying to soak it so I can take decent pictures this week.

OmeGez likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 12, 2020

I find the handwashing/manicure comments to be rather crass.

I guess you're not a male model, or an office worker, so don't bother to wash your hands just to please the fuss budgets who have commented.
    There are many people on our forum, and quite a lot would have trouble presenting perfectly manicured nails and spotless hands, especially if they've spent the day working and only had time to take some photos before getting back to work.

On to the watch.
    My suggestion is to keep finding all of the parts you can and put them together in the box, seal in sandwich bags if you can to stop dust entering as I guess it's pretty dusty in the wheat belt at the mo.

When you've had time to digest all of the info and make a keep or sell decision, you can go with what you want to do.

BTW, are you still in the Narembeen locality?

If you are it'll be bloody hard to find a bloke's manicurist there! ;)

Cheers
    Jim

14. narembeen Apr 12, 2020

Im still here, population 496 yeah these watches were made for people who worked with their hands for a living. This is what made the brand so famous but these second generation owners I dont know, they seem a bit precious. I spent the day splitting dry wood, I wonder what they did?

Thanks for the tips on keeping this clean its a great idea. I will seal it up tonight and just keep trying to get the grease and dust off it so I can take photos which please the forum.

I dont know if there is even a female manicurist here lol never looked into it

15. narembeen Apr 12, 2020

I really do like the idea posed by Shaun about just having it lightly serviced and no bezel (until I find one) I think we have a winner idea!

wagudc, Spacefruit and OmeGez like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 12, 2020

Funny how they gasp at the state of your hands but don’t gasp at the state of the watch :D

Send it to Rolex service centre for a quote. This doesn’t mean you have to proceed but gives you a yard stick of what your in for.

You just decline the quote and they will send it back. :cool:

17. narembeen Apr 12, 2020

Hmmm....another good idea. Cheers mate.

STANDY likes this.
  18. killer67 Apr 12, 2020

best comeback leveled to the pretty people here since COVID19 emerged
    Yes! They are tool watches first.
    Get some estimates on parts as suggested and take your time learning, ask questions and above all, the watch will remind you of your step dad every time you look at it (no matter what parts you end up putting on it). I wish I had a watch that reminded me of my dad.

nzshadow, queriver, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  19. bags1971 Apr 12, 2020

did you not find the bezel if i remember you were looking for it

20. Kbjohn Apr 12, 2020

Don’t put the watch in water without removing the movement, dial and hands first. It likely won’t be waterproof and you could be in for an even bigger repair bill/completely destroy the dial if water gets in.

narembeen likes this.