Forums Latest Members

Arrivals, What Did You Buy Recently?(Watches)

1. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Dec 11, 2014

image.jpg My first Longines and I'm really pleased. It's small at 30mm, but I have a small wrist. Love the creamy colour of the dial and the stepped case :)
    Patiently awaiting delivery so I've used the sellers photo.

2. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 11, 2014

Probably a catch and release, time will tell.
    Excuse the pics, little natural light today :(
    A nice size at 32mm exc. crown. Clean looking 15 jewelled movement, wonder what it is ? a job for tomorrow unless anyone can hazard a guess, no sign of any reference under the balance that I can see in this light.
    Running well but no sign of any service marks and the position of that regulator spells out service time.

IMG_4883.jpg
    IMG_4840.JPG
    IMG_4837.jpg
    IMG_4836.jpg
    I did warn the pics. are poor !!!

Edit - don't recall ever coming across arrows at twelve & six ?

Edited Dec 11, 2014
    Northernman, citizenrich and Dogmann like this.
  3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 11, 2014

Sorry!! just realised after my visit to Glasgow yesterday that some may have had greater expectations for my post :(

dougiedude and Mothra like this.
  4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 11, 2014

Just got this today, thanks to John, then at the same time as the postman arrives, Darren messages me that my wait for the signed copy is over!

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I don't need two of these, so this one will be going on the sales forms in early January when the signed copy arrives[emoji2]

5. repoman Dec 11, 2014

A problem of excess Doug, a good problem to have :D

6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 11, 2014

No doubt!

It means this book will get to make at least one more person happy...:D

And OMG, after brousing through this amazing book, I don't see how you can be without one until January! You must be a rare bird, and have another life outside of this Forum...

repoman likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Dec 12, 2014

Sure, most every maker used that design while it was hot in the 60's and 70's.

Watches have been quiet lately for me - either parts / project watches acquired that aren't really worth shouting about, or totally dead as in none that tickle my fancy enough to divert money from the other projects.

Wine, however....... well...... let's just say there's been an odd bottle or three added to the rack.

rhetoric likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Dec 12, 2014

Not really a watch...

[​IMG]

:D

Looking forward to this arriving!

9. NT931 Dec 12, 2014

I bought one of those clip-on macro lenses for the iphone just for fun. Of course the photos can't match those taken with a proper macro lens, but as it is, the lens reveals quite a fair bit of detail that I found fascinating.

IMG_7457.JPG
    I never noticed it before but the 'wavy ridges' on the Great White's dial have, over time, developed a slightly yellowish patina. Also, how precisely inked the words are!

IMG_7481.JPG
    The close-up of my RDM made me love it more!
    IMG_7467.JPG

And finally it was instructive (and humbling) to see how the "petit tapisserie" guilloche of the Royal Oak looks- the craftsmanship is just astounding. And if anyone want to see much better macro shots of the RO dial (vs my semi-crappy shots), look here.

Overall, quite a lot of fun from a $12 lens!

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 12, 2014

Another extract arrived today. I always enjoy getting these, as for me it adds another layer of history unique to each watch. This particular example, originally delivered to the UK in 1944, ended up not being immediately issued, and then was stored for years by the MOD. The military designation for this reference was 6B/159. In 1956, the MOD pulled a number of these movements off the shelf, and recased them (Dennison manufactured the new cases). On some, the dials were refinished and the hands coated with luminous material by the MOD watchmakers. As the extract notes, this one originally had a white dial (and probably blued steel hands), but the current dial is "correct" in the context of these facts. The modified watches were then issued for use in service with the Air Ministry and years later decommissioned and sold as surplus. Some Longines and Jaeger LeCoultre 6B/159s received similar treatment.

image.jpg

11. CdnWatchDoc Dec 12, 2014

I hope this comes in the mail soon; bought it after a recommendation on Hodinkee-have been looking for an A-11 for a while now...
    [​IMG]

12. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 13, 2014

You can't better a nice coin edge :thumbsup:

13. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Dec 13, 2014

A very early black dial multichron 12. A bit of grail watch for me and in stunning condition no less:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Northernman, LouS, ELV web and 4 others like this.
  14. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Dec 13, 2014

Recently, an old time watchmaker passed away and his grandson has been selling off bits and pieces of what he had laying around :-(

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    pitpro, Northernman, LouS and 6 others like this.
  15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Dec 13, 2014

Not really valuable but uncommon. Green dial 70s Omega Geneve. Funky thick square case is not for everyone taste but I found it irresistible. The gold top case is still unpolished and maintain its sunburst pattern.
    What seal the deal is the dial. It is still pristine and the british green color is amazing. Ok I am sucker for blue dial but when last time you saw green dial in Omega? (Not from bombay :p)
    Plus it still use its original hesalite crystal with tiny omega logo.
    20141213_122645.jpg

16. cristos71 Dec 13, 2014

I do like collecting old Omega knick-knacks when the opportunity arises, just a nice way to fill out a collection. So I couldn´t resist these when I saw them! A selection of 50´s display items.

omega knick knacks.JPG

17. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Dec 13, 2014

Nice pick up :)

citizenrich likes this.
  18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Dec 13, 2014

Tres collector cool!

Will make for some fun photography...

19. cristos71 Dec 13, 2014

Just need to find that Ranchero now......;)

Edited Dec 13, 2014
  20. ELV web Dec 14, 2014

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Bot this, hopefully will arrive soon. My first non-chronograph men UG :p the case back is quite a curious one for me though as it looks to be from a much later period.

NT931, Northernman, LouS and 4 others like this.