Forums Latest Members

Arrivals, What Did You Buy Recently?(Watches)

1. Illiknight Oct 13, 2015

Sorry for delayed reply and thanks so much for the advice... I did set the back with my fingers first, it was dumb but it was the orientation of the seahorse that I wasn't happy with and it ultimately wound up exactly where it was. Really dumb of me but will force me to get a better case wrench.

As for the ring, I didn't leave anything out... So if a retention spring ring is supposed to be there, it didn't come with the watch. I did see case clamps though. Would it have all 3 (rubber bumpers, clamps and spring ring)?

I know my 176.007 is missing the movement retention spring ring and think I finally found 1 so I can start wearing that once I get it, but for contrast, without it that movement flops around terribly, however that isn't the "case" (couldn't resist) with the Sparkly.

Thx again for the advice!

2. RCAFBuster Oct 13, 2015

A wonderfully Rare RCAF Wittnauer.

Buster

RCAF Wittnauer (1).jpg RCAF Wittnauer (5).jpg

Moeris, JohnSteed, Giff2577 and 18 others like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 13, 2015

One hand?
    Or is it just hidden under the minute hand?

4. RCAFBuster Oct 13, 2015

Two hands, It is just hidden. The watch will be with me in about a week, it is with my Canadian watchmaker for a service.

Buster

5. RCAFBuster Oct 14, 2015

Wittnauer Un-numbered prototype. Early 1950s.
    RCAF Wittnauer (2).jpg

6. TNTwatch Oct 14, 2015

The clamps just hold the movement to the spacer ring. This spacer ring actually just doesn't do anything since it doesn't reach anything by itself. It requires the rubber bumpers to hold the movement/spacer ring combination between the sides of the case. The spring ring is then required to hold this combination towards the crystal when you close the back. This floating design seemed like a nice idea, but over time the rubbers got deteriorated and the ring often got lost with no service replacement available.

It's because it doesn't have the rubber bumpers to "float" the movement, but it would become obvious when something is missing, unlike the other watch. I also like the 176.007. Any pictures?

Illiknight likes this.
  7. Pvt-Public Oct 14, 2015

This is just a questio
    This is just a question because I don't know the answer. If this was for the RCAF why is the a US import stamp AXA on it? Did it have to be sent through the US?

8. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2015

From a good friend I am taking in a beautiful white Hamilton Drake with enamel-print dial in partial trade for my US Army civilian version ref. 2179, which he has admired for a long time, and which he intends to wear as an everyday watch in rotation with a few others...

Drake.jpg IMG_6166a.JPG
    Edited Oct 14, 2015
  9. RCAFBuster Oct 14, 2015

My understanding is that AXA is the Swiss import stamping for Wittnauer (this making sense that the movement would have been made in Switzerland then imported to the US), and with Wittnauer being a USA company, all parts would have been imported through there first before being 'on sold' to Canada.
    Cheers,
    Buster

Pvt-Public likes this.
  10. Pvt-Public Oct 14, 2015

Thank you, I figured it must be something like that, just wasn't sure. I don't do my best thinking before the 4th or 5th coffee.

11. RCAFBuster Oct 14, 2015

I always stand to be corrected, but that is my understanding of the chain of supply. I was very please to see AXA on this Wittnauer V175 movement, denoting the Swiss import marking. If it were 'made up' most wouldn't have had an AXA part to put on.

From memory a number of movement companies used to stamp them 'unadjusted' to get around import/ tax laws.
    Buster

12. timjohn Oct 14, 2015

This is going to be interesting. Bought a Girard Perregaux V72 on the basis of one terrible picture. The inking on the subdials looks a little suspect, but will have to wait a couple of weeks to see it in the flesh
    Girard Perregaux chronograph.png

citizenrich and Darlinboy like this.
  13. Dre Oct 14, 2015

14. Jonatan Oct 15, 2015

The Alligator strap was confiscated and destroyed at customs but they were nice enough to send me the watch and buckle!

IMG_0199.JPG
  15. Illiknight Oct 15, 2015

I've scoured pix of the case and movement... Some seem to have the additional ring, others a rubber ring and most look like the inside of mine. I'll keep my eye out for a retention spring/ring on the 'bay.

I have pix of the 176.007, but will keep you in suspense as I await the wavy retention spring for that one and the new strap I ordered from a seller in Australia. Plus, I still owe the site a "formal new member intro post" w/pix of my 4 Omega Seamasters, and the rest of my collection, which I seriously need to pare down/consolidate, yet I keep adding to it!!! (I must sell my never worn Longines Heritage Avigation and a never worn 1950s woman's diamond adorned Omega that didn't fit my wife though!)

citizenrich and TNTwatch like this.
  16. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 15, 2015

I just purchased 2 Orbita watch winders...27 minutes ago. Before I purchased them, I tested the advertised 8 minute wind interval for both winders via Speedy Gonzales...8:03 and 8:07 respectively...not too shabby. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

Edited Oct 15, 2015
    citizenrich, Lou P and Buckeyes#1 like this.
  17. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 15, 2015

Mad Cow, citizenrich and Lou P like this.
  18. nickgr Doesn't like baklava!!! Oct 15, 2015

Thank you. Indeed it's a very nice watch and I like it very much. I had thr opportunity to wear it on a formal event indeed and it was perfect for the occasion:
    [​IMG]

citizenrich and DirtyDozen12 like this.
  19. emilio Oct 16, 2015

The most left one.

Can not open the caseback but I suspect 80ies..

image.jpeg
    citizenrich, Bienne2998 and Lou P like this.
  20. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Oct 16, 2015

Just got a Lum Tec B31 Bronze.
    It's not Swiss, but I don't give a f::censored::k, I think it's cool, and it's made here in Ohio.
    It comes in a wood box with 4 NATO straps, and a green rubber strap, all with matching hardware. Limited to 100 pieces. Exhibition back.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg