Are there other members who coerced their wife/girlfriend into wearing vintage Omega's?

Got mine a vintage C case for her BD, on original bracelet, and she even sent me a wristi.....think she's getting the hang of it ::shy::, this could be trouble

IMG_2237.JPG

Like 2
@Kmart I changed the title, and ofcourse I didn't mean literally forced her to wear it but kind of pushed her by giving it as a present.

I've offered... many times to provide something lovely and vintage... even coming to the last London GTG and seeing the wondrous things in the room, plus that lovely piece of 70's goodness that @Spacefruit better half, Mrs. Fruit, was wearing, couldn't convince her that she wants a "nice watch".

She has one of these (which I still think is a nice piece of product design):

withings-activite-0023.0.jpg

It's waterproof so it doesn't matter if she forgets to take it off in the shower (mornings are neither of our strong suit), it wasn't expensive (so she's not worried about losing/breaking it), it tracks activity (which she's keen on tracking) and most importantly of all, she likes it.

Trying to force/coerce her into doing something she didn't want to do, would be like asking a cat to explain particle physics.... you'd get a funny look, and then she'd goes back to doing whatever she was doing. ;)

Like 6
This is my wife's only watch at the moment - and our only matching 'his and hers' accessories ;-)

IMG_1693.JPG

Like 3
No forcing or coercing of any kind required. My wife wears a couple of vintage watches, like this DJ:

And this Omega:

But also some modern watches like this Sinn:

And the Nomos:

I have another vintage watch in the works for here as time permits...

Cheers, Al

Like 1
@Kmart I changed the title, and ofcourse I didn't mean literally forced her to wear it but kind of pushed her by giving it as a present.

Of course, I'm only kidding. I'd be lying if I said that spelling error didn't bother me though. ;)

Maybe mods should change the title to :" 50 shades of Omega".

Like 1
He deserved it, but thank you. Admittedly, at its current value (and I won't ask anyone to speculate) I probably would have passed. I mean...I love him...but cmon. :eek:

My wife likes me buying watches to give her cover to buy stuff. Only thing I own that she would even think about is an early 50's Seamaster and I put a strap that is the right length for the Fouche Creek monster (Arkansas version of Bigfoot) so it's not in play :)

Seriously she'd never mess with the business of setting dates and most everything I own except the Seamaster is day date or date. She bought a quartz watch then asked me to wind it which left me utterly baffled until I realized the time was wrong. I "wound it" to the correct time. :)

It would be a pretty boring world if everybody had the same hobbies. Some people like vintage watches, some just want something good looking on their wrist that tells time.

Like 1
It would be a pretty boring world if everybody had the same hobbies. Some people like vintage watches, some just want something good looking on their wrist that tells time.
Absolutely. I may run off to go watch football but she loves hoops so we are going to NCAA South Regional together. Nice to have some overlap but total overlap in interests would be boring.

Like 1
Hahaha you are a wise man

"Forced" is much too strong a word...but subtle coercion might fit. The Bond Girl (wife) has CLAIMED to not need any other watch except her prized possession, the Seiko that looks like a Movado that I gave her a little after we married. Over the intervening years, she has acquired through my daughter and I, 2 Ecodrive Citizens, 1 Grandfathers Longines, 1 Seiko (gold Rolex President copy), 1 DKNY Ceramic, 1 vintage Omega DeVille plated (current favorite?), 1 Omega My Choice (gold, diamonds, mother of pearl). The "I don't need any more watches" is feeble and now goes in one ear and out the other. She's trying to keep me from overspending, I get that. But I think watches are useful jewelry and I equate the inventory of them proportional to numbers of pairs of women's shoes/boots. Right now I think she owns 30% as many watches as she has pairs of shoes. That MAY be a good balance. But I must say...if a watch jumps out at me and yells "I am Bond Girl's next watch"...I buy it...IF I can hide it in the budget. :whistling:;)

Like 1
Not vintage related, but since I offered my girlfriend the snoopy speedy she just looooves it and wears it all the time.
She is now eager to learn about the speedmaster history, etc. and is much more comprehensive with my vintage speedmaster monomania.
Anyway, she Is still in the dark about my collection as they all look the same...
:D

But you can pretty much bet she shows the "Snoopy" to anyone who shows the slightest interest..."He's so KEEEUUUUTTEE !"

Among the watches I have (quite literally) salvaged for she who must be obeyed, are three Omegas, only one of which she will wear voluntarily. It's the white gold round Sapphette with the faceted pastel blue synthetic sapphire crystal which refracts as dark blue around the circumference. This one and the 14-karat yellow gold tonneau shaped one I bought as basket cases, worn out, and badly rusted. The 14-karat white gold marquise shaped Sapphette is NOS, and had never been worn. The dealer was glad to sell it to me for what he had in it. Mrs. C. gladly wears the round one, but it is like pulling teeth to get her to wear the other two! I think the yellow one is from the '50s, and the Sapphettes both from the '60s. I have included my favourite of the ones I have gathered for her. A diamond set 1920s vintage, 14-karat white gold Gruen with a sterling silver dial, and vitreous enamel Arabic numerals. It's like pulling teeth to get her to wear this one! This one also was a total basket case. Including the NOS one, all these were bought for scrap value, and with three of the four, a lot of effort and ingenuity resuscitated them to what you see now. File photos, so not the best.

image.jpeg image.jpeg View attachment 333720 image.jpegimage.jpeg

Like 2
I have not found it a good idea to attempt to coerce Mrs. E:

jessica knife.jpeg

Like 2
I've also managed to get my better half into watches.. No vintage Omega's though, yet, but a retro Omega and a vintage Breitling..

According to the latest trend of course, she prefers men's pieces. Bad luck for me, they're a lot more expensive ::shy::

This picture is her receiving her first "real" watch, a Tag S/EL. I had to crop the second half of the picture, her wearing it, sorry I can't show more! ::bleh::
Anett Tag.jpg

Unfortunately the Tag was stolen during a business trip in Moscow.. where else..?

So then she got this awesome Omega Alveoles - in AP style:
IMG_2617.jpg
...which stopped working. The stepping motor in the 1342 quartz movement died. Apparently it's quite common fault in the 13xx series, so it's almost impossible to get a working motor.. I've just managed to acquire a donor movement, 2 years later!

So, shortly after the Omega's death, she was finally ready for her first vintage piece.. Huge leap after two hassle-free quartz watches: a hand-winding Breitling Top Time, in amazing condition! I acquired it at a traditional auction, through phone bidding, without even seeing it. Bargain price, and when it arrived... OMG almost new condition, needless to say all original parts. I actually felt bad I couldn't keep it to myself :(
She still wears it every day:
Anett Bling.jpg

Like 2
Her indoors has a vintage Zenith as a daily wearer, which is a great little watch and a NOS Omega that needs a service. After three years of explanation she still doesn't understand the difference between manual, automatic and quartz, so the tuning fork may as well be quantum physics.

Karyl_Raw_140509_V5F7577.jpg

Like 1
sure...spanking does the trick for me...
Edited: