Forums Latest Members

Are speedmasters a good investment?

1. Walrus Mar 15, 2022

This came across my “news” feed. Just posting it although it’s been discussed a million times. I read the article but I’m not into the whole “watch investment” thing but it’s certainly relevant to many. I do sometimes consider “will this watch retain its value” but even that goes out the window if I really like something I’m not thinking of selling. It’s cool to read though I don’t know what to make of many things, I mean in life in general let alone watches so I don’t begrudge or judge I play a lot of small ball watches anyway and I’m fine with them but I will always have appreciation for any beautiful watch at any price point and things are always in flux so we never know how situations will change or what one may stumble across. Bottom line, it’s all good. Edit see linked fratello article below
    https://www.fratellowatches.com/is-an-omega-speedmaster-a-good-investment/#gref

Edited Mar 15, 2022
    noelekal and wristpirate like this.
  2. ext1 Mar 15, 2022

3. Walrus Mar 15, 2022

blufinz52 and ext1 like this.
  4. funkright Mar 15, 2022

Never understood why this model didn't receive more appreciation...

[​IMG]

Walrus likes this.
  5. Walrus Mar 15, 2022

I really like those hands (watch hands of course nothing against your hand)

6. kkt Mar 16, 2022

If you like Speedmasters, they'll bring you joy every time you see one on your wrist. If you don't, who knows.

7. Leviathan Mar 16, 2022

Depends what you mean by “investment”.

Is it a revenue-generating asset? No. Is it a good way to park your cash and gain some enjoyment every time you look at your wrist? Yes.

8. Watch my Whisky Mar 16, 2022

Didn’t we just have this thread?

Dan S likes this.
  9. Walrus Mar 16, 2022

Yes as I tried to point out I simply linked the fratello article in the OP. I am not into investment watches I just found the article interesting and thought others might as well. I have learned that is not a wise thing to do. I even put an edit explaining it was merely an article I thought was interesting but it has obviously gone over poorly

noelekal likes this.
  10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 17, 2022

No.

Taddyangle, NGO1 and Watch my Whisky like this.
  11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 17, 2022

I do not think that Speedmasters are investment.

I am using the word investment to denote a strategy that will preserve and increase my wealth through earned income and increase my capital for the benefit of myself and my family, hopefully providing us with a financial cushion that will provide for us if/when we are unable to work.

That said, I try not to buy anything that does not let me think that it has good residual value in the event that I might need it. For example if I go and buy a brand-new Ford motor car, it is likely that within five years it will be worth next to nothing . However if I go and buy a secondhand Land Rover defender, so far these cars seem to hold a lot more value. I am sure there are other vehicles that are similar, though I am not thinking about exotic machines that are bought for pleasure.

The same with property. UK property has proved a good hedge against the devaluation of the currency.

However if you buy a house in an ordinary area of the United States, and you do not pay your property taxes, in some jurisdictions within 20-30 years approximately the house will become the property of the State by default, through non-payment of the 2 to 4% property taxes. In the UK, the government haven’t figured that out yet.

So property in the UK , has historically been a good way to park currency. Remember, the value of your house is only increasing in terms of the number of pounds, not in terms of your purchasing power. As the financial noose tightens around all of us I suspect that the UK government may try to change that. We shall see.

The largest source of income for a Fiat based government, is inflation. Owning hard assets, (a Speedmaster might be considered a hard asset) is the only hedge against inflation. Of course historically gold ought to be the best hedge, but I think there is too much interference by large players at the moment. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy a whole shitload of gold if you can. And most people are not in the position of even worrying about this because they are trying to pay their rent. However even if you can buy half a sovereign, you’re going to be better off to 95% of the people in the UK.

It really depends on how you define the word investment. Today if you leave the money in the bank you’re going to lose between 8 and 15% of its purchasing power in a year. I know a young man in central London with a thriving business trading in antiquities, and he does not want to have any cash. The moment he receives any cash he buys something .

When I first bought Speedmaster, I did not think of it as an investment, but I do now think of them as a safer place to keep the money from the bank.

For a start should I want to, I could hand my Speedmaster to anybody I want. Try going into a Bank and asking them for £5000 in cash, and see if you get that without any questions. The implication is that if you don’t answer the questions to their satisfaction they won’t give you the money. That means it’s not your money. They have control over your money.

So I do regard Speedmaster is as a form of wealth concentration, and portability . The Italians have been doing this with Rolexes for many years. And don’t forget, I actually like and enjoy owning Speedmaster‘s.

It gives me a great pleasure to sit and play with them. And I buy them knowing that my money is relatively safe in the Watches, for the moment.

Investment?

I think in five years time the last thing anybody might be worried about is an investment. But then I’ve been reading too many dystopian novels. And yes I am aware of the irony, that is if the dystopia I read about comes true the last thing anybody will actually want is a wristwatch.

my conclusion? The world is changing in a way that I cannot possibly predict through my own experience.

We need a form of wealth concentration and transmission, A unit of account, that is uncontrolled by authorities greater or more powerful than me. (Imagine: “I’ll give you two Speedmaster‘s for that Land Rover“)

Fiat currency are collapsing in front of our very eyes and nobody is noticing. Land and property including gold, cannot be transported and could be seized.

That leaves only one thing, and if you talk to anybody under 30 they get it straight away.

Bitcoin …….and Speedmasters!
    :)

Mark020, hansaboy, Risto and 11 others like this.
  12. Walrus Mar 17, 2022

noelekal likes this.
  13. Watch my Whisky Mar 17, 2022

We still love you, Walrus.

Walrus likes this.
  14. gbesq Mar 17, 2022

Stocks and bonds are investments. Speedmasters are just extremely cool. :cool:

Edited Mar 17, 2022
    hansaboy, kkt, Geme81 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Watch my Whisky Mar 17, 2022

Not entirely.

E6B88005-3958-45C8-982B-75B5EB53C2A9.jpeg

16. Dan S Mar 17, 2022

How much is Fratello paying you to keep posting this link? :D

Unfortunately, these days when someone talks about something being a good investment, it is likely that they are (at least in part) trying to manipulate the market to their advantage. I know that people have good things to say about him, but it's disappointing to see this particular person stooping to that level.

Edited Mar 17, 2022
    Mark020 likes this.
  17. gbesq Mar 17, 2022

Well, ok, that’s the Speedmaster equivalent of Lehman Brothers stock …

Watch my Whisky likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 17, 2022

Time has been the best investment in watches for me.

I bought them years ago and they were cheaper then.

Time I’ve spend with friends here has also been a good investment

19. Walrus Mar 17, 2022

They are paying me 2,743.87 for each time I post it plus 509 bucks for each reply so thank you

20. Walrus Mar 17, 2022

Right back at you. Honestly I wasn’t even familiar with a few of those examples in the article nor the prices and how much they increased. I reposted the article only because I thought my babble prior to the link was distracting. So it was probably something just interesting to me I should not have bothered posting. The interesting part I find about people who do “invest” in watches is all the information, knowledge and attention to detail on each individual watch. That I find impressive. In my case the few vintage seikos I go after I find it amazing how good they can alter things these days. By an odd chance a guy in the town I used to live in was selling a Seiko bullhead that I really liked. I stopped over to see it the gentleman actually had me in and showed me his “modding” set up. Mostly he uses it to mod newer model seikos but he explained to me he will replace beat up parts on old seikos “to make them look nicer.”

I appreciated him being forthcoming of course but declined the bullhead. The guy didn’t think he was doing anything wrong just making things look better. I was not about to argue with someone in their home. I may actually pick up a modem mod from him at some point.

So I guess your eye gotta be pretty good if you go down the “watch investment” lane. I have a buddy who plays cards for a living and he tells me I’m taking too much risk being involved in crypto. I tell him I work for a living just do crypto a little on the side he still thinks I’m crazy. So everybody got there own idea about risk and what is a good way to make a living, it’s not my job to figure out who’s doing it best I still don’t know what I wanna be when I grow up.

Edited Mar 17, 2022
    ghce likes this.