Forums Latest Members

Answering The “Dirty” Question — Is An Omega Speedmaster A Good Investment?

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 15, 2022

[​IMG]
    Rolex, Audemars Piguet, and Patek Philippe watches are not the only ones people buy as investment pieces. I often receive questions about investing in Omega watches as well, especially when it comes to Speedmaster models. The Speedmaster Silver Snoopy Award from 2015 saw an increase in value few modern Speedmasters could match. Because of this, […]

Visit Answering The “Dirty” Question — Is An Omega Speedmaster A Good Investment? to read the full article.

2. gbesq Mar 15, 2022

I would agree that the 145.022 and the 3590.50 models probably offer the best potential for price appreciation in the coming years. That being said, I certainly wouldn't rely on Chrono24 to accurately gauge what a fair price range is for any watch, Speedmasters included.

SpeedyPhill, Badwolf, M'Bob and 5 others like this.
  3. Donn Chambers Mar 15, 2022

If you bought the Speedmaster years ago, sure, you can definitely make some money on it - but you always have to remember that selling a single watch with no storefront or retail presence for maximum profit is not as easy as one might think. And you won't be able to sell to a retailer for anywhere near the price they will sell it for. And if you are buying today at the inflated prices on Chrono24, then you will likely lose money.

The whole concept of buying watches for investments really turns me off, and drives the crazy inflation in the market over the last few years. I use my investment dollars on buying stocks/bonds on a monthly basis, regardless of whether the price is high or low. In the last 12 years, I've averaged a 10% annual return. I'm perfectly content with that.

My watches come out of my "fun" savings -- the one I pay into for trips, new cars, etc. In other words, for items that will depreciate or have no value after I spend it (like a trip). If I make money on the sale of a watch I decide to get rid of, great. But I don't stress about it either, because I've already assumed I won't.

4. Dan S Mar 15, 2022

Not even going to click on this one. :rolleyes:

5. mbp Mar 15, 2022

It's a luxury item that can depreciate drastically, and quickly in an economic downturn. If you're strategic about what you purchase then yes, you can make money. To me, this hobby is about enjoying and wearing what you have. Any appreciation a watch gets is of course, enjoyable, but never comes close to the joy I get from wearing the watch.

6. TheGreekPhysique Mar 15, 2022

I am inclined to agree with Greg with the caveat that perhaps our views of Chrono24—as enthusiasts in a public forum—is somewhat skewed. Perhaps the casual buyer in the general public actually does purchase from chrono24 or at least use it to gauge “accurate” market values. I don’t know since I have no IRL watch friends. Just you guys :(

KurtBiz and IDXM like this.
  7. bombaywalla Mar 15, 2022

So, I want to know why the Editor of Fratello Watches is asking OF this question??
    he should be in the know being part of the watch journalism industry -- Fratello must have covered zillions of watches by now, Fratello has seen trends over the years to make up their own mind. Why ask OF?
    In fact, you/Fratello Watches should be telling us whether the Speedy is an investment or not....
    This is back-wards.........

8. Hoddspur Mar 15, 2022

I take a great deal of satisfaction and enjoyment from wearing my ST2 on a regular basis but am not ashamed to admit that it’s also nice seeing something that I treasure increasing in value quite dramatically. I hope that it happens again with the next Omega I buy but certainly won’t be heartbroken if it doesn’t.

9. Badwolf Mar 15, 2022

He’s not. It’s a link to his article

10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 15, 2022

I never would have guessed this was a forum for investors :D

11. impalla62ss Mar 15, 2022

When faced with the choice of finding a good 145.022 or going with a new to me Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.005, I went with the new watch. I love vintage, and really considered going that way. I did my research and finally came to the conclusion that having a new watch in near perfect condition with full kit trumped the potential for it going up in value. I even have a couple of years of warranty left. The main thing is that I intend on keeping this watch for the long term. For me after seeing the potential costs and pitfalls of finding the right vintage model, it really is not an investment but more of a crap shoot.

12. Badwolf Mar 15, 2022

Yeah, nobody ever asks about value here :D

Dan S, YY77 and eugeneandresson like this.
  13. bombaywalla Mar 15, 2022

I'm afraid you are wrong.
    click on "Robert-Jan" & it will take you to his profile page & will show you he's the editor of Fratello....
    it will also show your "Robert-Jan posted a new thread "Answering....." "

14. Badwolf Mar 15, 2022

You said, he is asking OF. You are wrong, he isn’t.

Spacefruit and YY77 like this.
  15. YY77 Mar 15, 2022

Read this please because you're wrong:

Screenshot_20220315-192417.png

Edited Mar 15, 2022
    Tekashi_145.022, rob#1, jw0n and 7 others like this.
  16. Dan S Mar 15, 2022

I never knew these threads were started automatically.

richiv and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 15, 2022

Is my Invicta a good investment? Given that I bought it 75% off MSRP, I'm think it already went up in value 75%.

I belong to a FB group on watches and just today I read a post indicating a purchase of an unworn speedy tin tin, he indicated bought as a gamble, (paid a premium) specifically for investment. This caught me by surprise, but I guess if you leave it unworn and wait 30 years then you'd have a great story to share at a GTG.

PXL_20220207_122254576~2.jpg

Lou P, Linzer and eugeneandresson like this.
  18. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 15, 2022

That and the fact that

1) no 'chicks' would be 'picked up' with that on wrist (YUGE savings right there ... can invest this 'liquidity' elsewhere)...
    2) due to 1) the wrath and scorn of the Mrs would be kept neatly at bay (although she might untap some just for being seeing with her man wearing this piece :D )...
    3) no limbs will be hacked off or broken in pedestrian theft...
    4) at a GTG all the snobs will likely buy you beers (provided the outfit matches the watch)...
    5) most importantly...you qualify for the Invicta Cruise, where you get special discount on LE's that have 75% off the 25% of the normal price already...

means that this was a great investment and you Sir are all 'win win win' :cool:

Taddyangle and Linzer like this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 15, 2022

If there was ever an argument to end this, this one would be it in my view...

20. bombaywalla Mar 15, 2022

ok. thanks for posting this & correcting my understanding.....
    Had no idea about FW helping out OF but I do now. Thanks.

Omegafanman, fibonacci and YY77 like this.